Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question - all of the map (Mapquest, Google Map,etc) programs show this stretch as still non-existent. I want to get from 17 and Dunlap to 6100 E Mining Camp St, Apache Junction, AZ 85219 at 4pm in the quickest way possible. Map programs are saying to go down to 60 to Tomahawk Road to 88. But I noticed they do not show 202 as complete. I am not from here but would have guessed this is done by now. Any guesses on how long this will take me. I "need" to get there by like 5:15 for an event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,798 times
The 202 is finished. I drove it from US60 to SR101 for the first and only time on 8/3. I'm not sure if it will save you any time but it will save you a few miles if you get off further north than US60. McKellips goes east to Crismon Rd then turns south to Brown. Brown runs all the way out to SR88 in AJ (It becomes Lost Dutchman when you get to AJ). I honestly don't remember what exits are available along the NE section of the 202 since I was in a point A to point B autopilot mode. As for the quickest route from the west side, I have no idea. On the east side either route 202-Brown/Lost Dutchman or 202-60-88 is pretty fast. Traffic thins out real nice east of both. If you do go the 202 to 60 route, personally I'd exit at Idaho Rd rather than Tomahawk. Fewer miles of surface streets and stop signs.

Just curious, what's happening at the Mining Camp tonight? I don't know if you've been out there before, but the view of the Superstitions is amazing from that location.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 AM

bicycle race From what I understand it goes 20 miles out route 88 until the pavement ends and back and supposed to be lots of climbing.

http://www.azcycling.com/08cal/FLYERS/tft_08.pdf (broken link)

If you know anything about what that road is like (particularly in terms of the hills and where they are) I'd love to hear. I can't believe google / mapquest, etc are so behind on updating a major road in Phoenix.

Last edited by joe moving; 08-12-2008 at 10:08 AM..

Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM

One helluva ride! I couldn't do it on a bicycle, but I've driven it thousands of times in a car and on a m/c. I patrolled it for DPS for over 21 years. Be careful and have a great time!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM

Thanks ! hopefully I make it. To clarify the directions are stating to go I-17 to 60 to tomahawk, but of course these map programs do not know that 202 exists beyond power road. So I was trying to figure out if they knew it existed, they would be suggesting i go 202 instead of I17 to 60

Is there a brown road exit or only mckellips? Thanks again.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Thanks ! hopefully I make it. To clarify the directions are stating to go I-17 to 60 to tomahawk, but of course these map programs do not know that 202 exists beyond power road. So I was trying to figure out if they knew it existed, they would be suggesting i go 202 instead of I17 to 60

Is there a brown road exit or only mckellips? Thanks again.
Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the exits on the new section. It's not that big of a deal to just go down to 60, only a few extra miles and at freeway speeds it might even be faster. Besides, if this is your 1st time going out there (or 1st time anywhere) I personally like to use the K.I.S.S. method~Keep It Simple Stupid. The less turns I have to make, the less risk of missing one.

I would think they would suggest the 202 since there is some heavy congestion at certain points along the 17-10-60 route. The Broadway Curve and US60 transition suck during rush.

For future reference, try this website: Serving The Greater Phoenix Area

I get a weekly email showing all the freeway closures for the weekend.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:44 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I took 202 to Brown, hooked a left and then a right on Nodak. That was pretty easy. I made it to the restaurant in just a little over an hour with plenty of time to spare.

I took Idaho down to 60 on the way home, and 60 to 10 to 17 and it seemed much longer.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help. I took 202 to Brown, hooked a left and then a right on Nodak. That was pretty easy. I made it to the restaurant in just a little over an hour with plenty of time to spare.

I took Idaho down to 60 on the way home, and 60 to 10 to 17 and it seemed much longer.
Good deal. So what did you think of "my" highway? I drove 88 on a motorcycle all the way to Roosevelt Lake for the first time when I was 16 (I think the dam was a year or two old then). I'll never get tired of driving it.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM

It was great. This is a weekly race series I think, that goes almost every Tuesday all Spring and Summer, so I had a huge disadvantage since everyone else knew the course very well. We went to the "end of pavement" sign and back. Lots of good hills, twists and turns. I loved the view of the lake going over that 2nd bridge. I will definitely try to do this race again when I am out next time.

Maybe if I come out another time I'll bring my mountain bike and keep going past the end of pavement all the way to Roosevelt. Is there anything out there?!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
It was great. This is a weekly race series I think, that goes almost every Tuesday all Spring and Summer, so I had a huge disadvantage since everyone else knew the course very well. We went to the "end of pavement" sign and back. Lots of good hills, twists and turns. I loved the view of the lake going over that 2nd bridge. I will definitely try to do this race again when I am out next time.

Maybe if I come out another time I'll bring my mountain bike and keep going past the end of pavement all the way to Roosevelt. Is there anything out there?!
You bet there is! For a couple miles the dirt road is generally in great shape, but it narrows quickly as you approach Fish Creek Hill. There is an over look at the top of Fish Creek that's worth seeing. I think you would be okay riding to there from the end of the pavement but going down Fish Creek Hill it's pretty much a one lane road with a few wide spots for passing opposing traffic. At least going down you're against the mountain, but coming up, there's not much between you and a long drop. The road widens up again after you get to the bottom and travel on towards Apache and Roosevelt Lakes. I'd suggest leaving the bike on your vehicle and drive it first, then decide where you want to park and ride. It's definitely worth the trip. The scariest thing about driving the dirt is the handful of idiot drivers that cut the corners-even the blind ones- rather than hugging the right side of the road. It's especially bad when the idiot is pulling a boat and doesn't realize that the trailer tracks inside of the vehicle pulling it. There were quite a few side-swipe collisions over the years. I haven't driven all the way to Roosevelt since 2003. Sooo many memories. I'm going to have to do it again. Soon.

Last edited by aj661; 08-14-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area