Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM

270 posts, read 1,109,896 times

Advertisements

My husband needs some legal advice, and maybe an opinion letter drafted by a lawyer regarding his non-compete agreement he had with his old employer.

Being laid off for 4 months, my husband found a straight-commission job in the same industry. Because he had signed a non-compete agreement, he is bound for 6 months, from the day he was let go, not to sell to or even talk to the same companies he had worked with. With the depressed economy, he really wants to jump start his business by first speaking with the people he had a business relationship before. Therefore he wants to find out, through a lawyer, if this agreement is enforceable in AZ.

I am hoping to find a non-profit, free legal advice service that could read the agreement for us and draft an opinion letter. Or maybe a lawyer who would do this pro bono. I know this is a lot to ask. We have just about exhausted our savings after these months of unemployment. This new job could be our lifeline and we want to try not to drop it.

I welcome any advice you might have and you could send me a private message also.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Many lawyers will offer a free initial consultation. Check the Yellow Pages for someone who practices in the business/contract field.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Location: Gilbert, Arizona... a suburb of metro Phoenix in the East Valley
154 posts, read 287,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
My husband needs some legal advice, and maybe an opinion letter drafted by a lawyer regarding his non-compete agreement he had with his old employer.

Being laid off for 4 months, my husband found a straight-commission job in the same industry. Because he had signed a non-compete agreement, he is bound for 6 months, from the day he was let go, not to sell to or even talk to the same companies he had worked with. With the depressed economy, he really wants to jump start his business by first speaking with the people he had a business relationship before. Therefore he wants to find out, through a lawyer, if this agreement is enforceable in AZ.

I am hoping to find a non-profit, free legal advice service that could read the agreement for us and draft an opinion letter. Or maybe a lawyer who would do this pro bono. I know this is a lot to ask. We have just about exhausted our savings after these months of unemployment. This new job could be our lifeline and we want to try not to drop it.

I welcome any advice you might have and you could send me a private message also.
Thanks.
Aiwei... I'm not sure, but I think laying off employees NEGATES most if not all non-compete agreements entirely. Arizona is a 'right to work' state. You might want to check on that, however.

It certainly would make a good case for an attorney and with jobs so scarce to find, I'd recommend taking the job first and then later worrying about a lawsuit later... if it even comes his way. Chances are, his former company will not be able to afford the legal fees anyways if they're being hurt bi this economy to the point of laying off good employees and I highly doubt any judge would side with such a petty lawsuit these days.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednGilbertAZ View Post
Aiwei... I'm not sure, but I think laying off employees NEGATES most if not all non-compete agreements entirely. Arizona is a 'right to work' state. You might want to check on that, however.

It certainly would make a good case for an attorney and with jobs so scarce to find, I'd recommend taking the job first and then later worrying about a lawsuit later... if it even comes his way. Chances are, his former company will not be able to afford the legal fees anyways if they're being hurt bi this economy to the point of laying off good employees and I highly doubt any judge would side with such a petty lawsuit these days.
It ALL depends on what his employment contract (and the noncompete clause) says.

Arizona being a "right to worK" state doesn't have anything to do with this situation. That refers to the Arizona law that a worker can't be forced to join a union in order to get or keep a job.

Some companies take non-compete clauses pretty seriously, but it's true that in this economy, things may be changing. You should not assume that it would be a "petty lawsuit" that no judge would side with, however.

For peace of mind, I would talk to someone about this first. You'll have startup costs for this business that don't need to be exacerbated by a lawsuit or a real threat of one.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
Many companies will look the other way when there is nothing to gain. Your husband could call his old employer to see how serious they are about the agreement.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:56 PM

203 posts, read 491,309 times
It's not really enforceable to prevent someone to make a living so I wouldn't even worry about it. Even if the former company did have a problem with it, would they want to go through with the expense of litigating it....I think not (it would cause more harm than good).

Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM

To clarify: My husband was offered a commission job from a company of the same industry. His former employer is one of the big companies in the Phx area, very visible. Therefore, we assume they have the means and lawyers to take him to court, if they want to enforce this non-compete agreement.

And, thanks to all that have commented so far.

p.s. I just read the agreement (I tried, at least) and it was signed in IL and has a clause indicate all disputes would be dealt with in DuPage county , IL state or fed. court . (background info: my husband was with this firm for 2 yrs in IL and then came to AZ last May to work at the HQ here.)

Last edited by aiwei; 02-26-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 AM

So if they did sue, it would be back in Illinois. Makes it inconvenient for you.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
I second the suggestion above to call a few lawyers with this question. Most will give you five minutes and after three or four calls you'll know where you stand.

Don't just call one and think that one answer is your only option. You'll be surprised at how much some lawyers won't know about this.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Thanks, guys. Because of this, I have been doing some reading online and learned quite a bit. Seems like the only thing that is in our corner is AZ's Blue-pencil law. This contract was signed in IL, but b/c this is a AZ firm, it did include a Blue-pencil clause... so I guess it is good. We will try to speak with a few lawyers about this and see where we stand. The worst scenario is my husband not be able to have any contact with his old accts for a little over 2 months, but concentrate on getting new accts, even though it is harder to make money from firms you have no relationship with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area