Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 07:09 PM

11 posts, read 24,943 times

Advertisements

All right, time for a question that I'm sure the long-time Phoenixians will probably know.
Why does the 44th Street south of Washington turn into a freeway with a low speed limit of 40 and why does it abruptly end at University?
I was told this is called the Sky Harbor Expresway. It does run along the eastside of Sky Harbor but it doesn't go anywhere - just from one thoroughfare to another. The 202 and i-10 are close by so you'd think this Sky Harbor extension would be easily connected.
What gives with this freeway to nowhere? Is it supposed to be expanded or what? I can't seem to get any answers from the city of Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsideweezie View Post
All right, time for a question that I'm sure the long-time Phoenixians will probably know.
Why does the 44th Street south of Washington turn into a freeway with a low speed limit of 40 and why does it abruptly end at University?
I was told this is called the Sky Harbor Expresway. It does run along the eastside of Sky Harbor but it doesn't go anywhere - just from one thoroughfare to another. The 202 and i-10 are close by so you'd think this Sky Harbor extension would be easily connected.
What gives with this freeway to nowhere? Is it supposed to be expanded or what? I can't seem to get any answers from the city of Phoenix.
That stretch of 44th St., formerly known as SR 153, was at one time intended to reach all the way to I-10, with an interchange near 40th St. A few years ago, ADOT decided not to pursue that project and turned the road over to the City of Phoenix, which now maintains it. The road is wider than it needs to be since it SR 143 is just a few hundred feet to the east. As a result, part of the road will be converted into a right of way for the new SkyTrain. The rest will remain as part of 44th St. connecting Washington St. to University Drive.

More info: Arizona State Route 153 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Also, the northern leg of the Sky Harbor Expressway by Washington Street was the original Hohokam Expressway (S.R. 143) when it was built as an interim freeway in the early '80s. In the early '90s, ADOT expanded the 143 from the original southern alignment at 48th Street & the I10 northward to the 202 ... and then used the original northern section of the Hohokam to create the Sky Harbor Expressway (S.R. 153).

The Sky Harbor Expressway would have been a good concept if it actually went somewhere. But the fine folks at ADOT, acting as their usual brilliant selves ended the 153 at University and didn't finish it. All they had to do was extend it one little extra mile & build an interchange at I10, and it would have served its purpose. But ADOT more than likely squandered the funds to complete the extra mile, so the result was a small, unfinished freeway that went nowhere, and it was hardly ever used.

I hope the City of Phoenix improves the condition of this road between Air Lane and University. It narrows from three lanes to two, and there's a huge ugly dirt median with barricades which have been sitting there for years. I'm sure that was intended to be used for the freeway's eventual extension to I10 ... which ADUHT was obviously incapable of accomplishing. It would be great if the city turns the whole thing into more of an attractive parkway with some actual landscaping.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,210,403 times
These most definitely must be the same folks that built the 101 on/off ramps and bridge connecting them at E 64th Street. Even tho 64th Street currently ends at....Bell, what a mile or 2 south so the bridge just drops dead into NOWHERE? LOL! I presume they will eventually bring 64th Street up, but in the meantime, it is a true "road to nowhere". I would love to be able to get a picture of that one, but my cell phone camera isn't quick enough.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:52 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
As long as we're writing a wish list, I'd like to see the City put bike lanes in on that stretch of 44th St. My office is near the south end of that road, and some of the people I work with would like to bike to work -- either all the way from Central Phoenix / Arcadia or from the 44th St. / Washington light rail station. Right now, their only option is to head all the way to Priest and then double back on University Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area