Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,153 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I was just thinking about saving some gas. After taking shower in the morning, I turn my gas water heater on "vacation" setting and then I go to my work. Before going to sleep, I turn on my water heater to "normal" setting. Is that a good idea (if I don't forget to turn it on at night)? or it may cause some problems in the functioning of gas water heater.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipa View Post
Hi all,
I was just thinking about saving some gas. After taking shower in the morning, I turn my gas water heater on "vacation" setting and then I go to my work. Before going to sleep, I turn on my water heater to "normal" setting. Is that a good idea (if I don't forget to turn it on at night)? or it may cause some problems in the functioning of gas water heater.

Thanks!!
Better Idea- Install a tankless waterheater. It is a little more money up front but it will save you energy in the log run. You will get literally instant hot water when you turn on the faucet. And you don't have to replace the waterheater tanks every 7 years or so.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Can I add a question? We have a gas fireplace. We rarely turn it on (it's expensive and not very efficient), but there's a pilot flame burning continuously, including all through the summer months. Is there a safe way to turn it off to save energy/$$$???

Old 11-22-2009, 08:38 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Can I add a question? We have a gas fireplace. We rarely turn it on (it's expensive and not very efficient), but there's a pilot flame burning continuously, including all through the summer months. Is there a safe way to turn it off to save energy/$$$???
Absolutely, Mike . . . Pilot Lights are major energy hogs.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:01 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
I turn my water heater down (to vacation) in the day time (it's gas). So far, no problems and the landlord liked the idea so much he does his now that way too.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM

164 posts, read 772,216 times
Default turning out the pilot light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Usually all you have to do is find the valve to the fireplace (sometimes under the front "skirt" or a key-like turn thing -- depends on the model) and turn it OFF. You know you've got the right one when the pilot light goes out. Knowing where the gas-off valve for ANY appliance is a good idea, anyways.

Make sure you know how to turn the pilot light back ON (check manual). We live up N, but always turn the pilot light off of our furnace over the summer, and the fireplace is off ever since it burned our kid (very slight on a finger, but man you know it's wasting gas when the pilot light makes the glass front hot enough to burn!).

For safety, when we're out of town for more than a couple days we basically turn the gas off to the house (water heater, etc) and turn the water off to the water heater and fridge (the hose to the fridge came loose one night and made quite a mess, but at least we were home!).

Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,784 times
what does your gas bill look like?

I would think the heater would burn a lot to get the water back up to temperature. It's easier to maintain heat than it is to create it.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,584 times
I'd bet that you are spending more on gas by turning it on and off every day, than you would by just keeping it at a consistent temperature.

Unless you are going to be on vacation, just leave it at the normal warm setting.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:57 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Agree with the two previous posts. The best thing you can do is make sure your water heater has a good insulation wrap on it.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 PM

164 posts, read 772,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
what does your gas bill look like?

I would think the heater would burn a lot to get the water back up to temperature. It's easier to maintain heat than it is to create it.
Yes, the water heater will run extra to get the water back up to temp, but over the course of the day it will have used LESS energy than if you'd left it at the higher set temp. Think of it this way -- cooler water (during the day) loses less heat than warmer water.

The same holds for setting your house thermostat different when you are away from home and overnight to use less heat and/or AC. Sure, it runs like the dickens when it switches back on, but overall you've saved energy/money. Heat transfer is proportional to the temperature difference between the environment (outside) and the house (except for the solar heat load which is basically independent).

Definitely check your insulation. Also, regular flushing of the water heater keeps it running more efficiently -- although don't bother flushing a 7yo WH for the first time -- flushing the build up of gunk might do it in.

Another wrinkle would be if you pay different rates at different times of days -- wouldn't want to "be catching up" on when the rates were higher.

So you'd definitely be saving some energy, but whether it is enough to be worthwhile is another question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area