Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 AM

34 posts, read 74,397 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I know that I've put a lot of post of lately, but I need some help. And you guys seem to be great at helping me out.

Here goes...I'm 38 years old and a single woman. I am moving to the Phoenix area in a few months and this is really a new and exciting adventure for me. I just recently lost a significant amount of weight, I feel good, and I have an entirely new outlook on life. I've never lived outside of my home town (Dallas, TX). I'm picking up and leaving everything behind, for a fresh new start. I had my children early, so they are all grown up and living their own lives. So, now it's time for me to find me, and live for me. I'm excited about the move and looking forward to a change. There's one problem. I don't know anyone there and I'm nervous about it. I just want to meet some new and exciting people and make some great friends. I would really like to make some friends before I get there, so I'm not so lonely once I arrive and get settled in. I've tried all of the sites that everyone has suggested, but have been unsuccessful. I've tried, meetup.com, plentyoffish, match, mingle2, you name it I've signed up for it. And I'm not just looking for male friends or dates. Honestly I just want some friends I can talk to, hang out with, etc. If I happen to meet a great guy in the process that's fine. But, that's not my focus. I plan on visiting next month. So, it would be great to already kind of know someone. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:30 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,928 times
Relax!

Harry Truman said "If you want a friend, get a dog!"

Don't worry about being alone for awhile. I think you are much safer by avoiding internet meetup groups.

I met my best girlfriend online in 1997. But after we broke up in 2000, I got back online in 2001. The people I met online have been scammers ever since. In my own experience, since the year 2000, Internet has become very dangerous. Don't trust people behind the printed word. Never tell a person how much income you earn or how much wealth you have. I've been ripped off before. I learned my lesson. Also some social sites ask you for detailed information that may be used against you. I avoid those sites. Your privacy is precious and belongs to you, not anyone else.

I think it's better to do the things you enjoy and meet people in person who enjoy the same things with you in reality, not in virtual reality.

I'm beginning to think we are too tuned out from reality because of internet.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,182 times
Post a pic! j/k.....Welcome! Most of us are transplants. You'll have a great time! I'll give you a couple pointers when you get here

Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,141 times
You said you lost a lot of weight recently. Well, I'll assume that you would like to tone so how about joining a gym once you arrive? You'll have a chance to meet people right away and you'll be doing something that helps you. Plan to go hiking on a regular basis. You'll surely run into interesting people.

Also, be very outgoing. Smile at the appropriate times to show people you are normal, well adjusted and friendly. When you're in the grocery store say hi and when you walk past someone. Do you same thing when you're in the gym or walking into your office building.

I'm sure you know all of this. Phoenix is a great city and the people are friendly for the most part. And don't worry about it. You'll meet people once you get there. It takes time.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,084 times
Just remember most people meet their friends @ work or in their neighborhood. Just relax you don't need to have a ton of friends before you move here. Just come and you would be surprised how easy it is to meet people.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times
You're not going to find many friends on the internet, no offense. Your best bet is to meet people at work, around where you live (neighbors)

Plenty of Fish is not a site to meet friends, it's where ugly chicks go to get laid, seriously, that's the whole point of the site.

You said you lost weight, so hit up the gym, you'll meet tons of people there.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 AM

34 posts, read 74,397 times
Thank you all for, the great advice. I feel a little better now. That's pretty much the only thing, I've been freaking out about with this move. Because I'm leaving everyone I know here in Texas. I'm very friendly, and outgoing. This really makes me feel better. It's good to know I'm moving to a friendly city. I think I made the right choice. Thanks again

Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,221 times
My friends in Phoenix, (I grew up in Illiionis, graduated college in Ill, and lived there for many years afterwards) are friends that I have made through having similar interests and activities. So. . . what do you like to do? Join a group. . . that does that! Sierra Club, various and sundry music and or fine arts associations, theatre, needlecraft, etc. For any interst you can name, there is probably a group here that supports the activity. . . heck, I even belong to a "backyard chicken community" group in Phoenix! It doesn't get much weirder than that!

Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,140 times
I'm a 50yr old divorced woman who is going to be making a fresh start in Phoenix Jan 2011. I too will need friends. Also, although I made contact with a relocation rental agent, I'm a bit nervous about finding a job before I move. I'm an LPN. Does anyone have a similar experience? Any advice? I am determined to move to Phoenix. I just need to know where and how to start.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:31 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,457 times
I ve posted this before for others who have asked similar questions. One of the best sites out there is www.meetup.com . TOOOOONNSSS of different interest groups all looking to meet new people just like you. Pick any or as many as you like...and its free!

P S - Alot of the other suggestions here are good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: