Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 PM

27 posts, read 62,100 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and i just signed a lease with an apt complex in Tempe. We worked with the manager, she gave us a pretty good deal on a 2 bd 2 ba. She warned us that due to a DUI I had on my record, there may be a security deposit but she could "work with them to get that waived" or maybe do a promissory note to do it in payments. One of the consultants called us the next day, whom we had never met, and said we were approved with a $250 deposit.

We went in the followign day to sign ppw, and the lease stated "Security deposit: $0.00" - there were also no other spots for any other deposits that could have been due. My husband and I didn't want to get the manager in trouble and figured she had pulled some strings or whatnot to get it waived.

Well, today I recieved a call from another leasing agent (not the manager or the first leasing agent - the one who called today is the one who actually handed us the lease to sign, we signed it after I read over it, and gave us the keys). She left me a message saying I needed to come in and sign a promissory note for the security deposit.

We have already moved in and signed the lease with NO deposit and it was stated in the lease that the security deposit was $0.00. We figured she was able to get it waived, and we didn't want to get her in trouble. Now they want us to sign this promissory note. What are our options, do we have to sign it and pay the deposit even though we already signed a lease that said $0.00 for security deposit?

Last edited by candiceena; 05-06-2010 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Subscription
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
It's hard to give advice without having all the facts and documents to review. Ask them to show you where it is documented that you owe a deposit that is signed by you and the leasing agent. In the leases I've used, it's very clear what is owed, and all parties sign off. If possible, you should consider discussing with a lawyer if they persist.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,912 times
Ditto what rjrcm says. Definitely talk to the manager about the person contacting you. I do not believe they can come after you if the deposit says $0.00. Worst comes to worst, talk to a lawyer. Most first consultations are free or a small fee. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,593 times
Its probobly lack of communication on their part?
Why would they charge a security deposit b/c you had a dUI? That doesnt make sense-ur not gonna drive the apartment away!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:56 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Its probobly lack of communication on their part?
Why would they charge a security deposit b/c you had a dUI? That doesnt make sense-ur not gonna drive the apartment away!
Most apartment managers will run a credit report and background check to either deny you, or maybe in this case adjust the deposit. I would think if the lease you signed said $0 for a deposit, that is it regardless. If they want $250 in a promissary note and the lease says $0, whose pocket would that $250 go in?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:58 PM

80 posts, read 172,101 times
If you have a lease that is signed by both parties stating $0.00 security deposit and you have already moved in............SOL for them. Now because this is America and the Management company has Attorneys on retainer, expect a fight. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Most apartment managers will run a credit report and background check to either deny you, or maybe in this case adjust the deposit. I would think if the lease you signed said $0 for a deposit, that is it regardless. If they want $250 in a promissary note and the lease says $0, whose pocket would that $250 go in?
I know they do the background checks but I dont see why they care about a DUI as oppossed to say assault or robbery...but I know what ya mean Granny...

Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post

That's what I had wondered too. Perhaps this person still contacting the OP was after a little extra pocket change for themselves. Which is why I suggested speaking with the Manager and then having those two speak to each other. A bit fishy to me.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzard View Post
That's what I had wondered too. Perhaps this person still contacting the OP was after a little extra pocket change for themselves. Which is why I suggested speaking with the Manager and then having those two speak to each other. A bit fishy to me.
I wouldnt be surprised. I gave a fill in manager where I was moving into once 500 dollars cash and she wrote me a receipt for it. She quit that day though and took all the money with her! The apartment supervisors had no idea and later asked me for the money to move in. I told them I paid it and showed the receipt so they had no choice but to let me move in for free (to them-not me)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: