Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM

31 posts, read 166,715 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Why is it that in the Phoenix area it's considered a selling point if a house has "north/south" exposure? Where I live in the northeast, it's considered great if a house has "southern" exposure (meaning the back of the house faces south), because otherwise it's always dark and gloomy inside. Is it the exact opposite in Phoenix? Do you want the north side for your back yard? I know this question has been answered in other posts, but I honestly didn't get a clear understanding from the responses. On my recent trip to Chandler, I really liked one house that had its backyard to the east. Is that a bad orientation for a house in the southwest?

If someone would take pity on me and give me an explanation of this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronson View Post
Hi everyone,

Why is it that in the Phoenix area it's considered a selling point if a house has "north/south" exposure? Where I live in the northeast, it's considered great if a house has "southern" exposure (meaning the back of the house faces south), because otherwise it's always dark and gloomy inside. Is it the exact opposite in Phoenix? Do you want the north side for your back yard? I know this question has been answered in other posts, but I honestly didn't get a clear understanding from the responses. On my recent trip to Chandler, I really liked one house that had its backyard to the east. Is that a bad orientation for a house in the southwest?

If someone would take pity on me and give me an explanation of this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I think the main reason for this is due to the sun exposure, having a north/south facing house means your home is shaded more throughout the day, so the houses doesn't get as warm, but I may be incorrect.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
Most newer houses have the kitchen and other living areas in the back of the house. Most newer houses also have the nice big glass sliding doors and are full of windows. Our backyard is to the South and it is about 5+ degrees (seriously) hotter than the North facing side.

My in-laws live just North of us and have their backyard facing North. Their living areas are nice and cool. When we are running our AC at full blast, they have their windows open. Part of it might be that we have a big patio(half covered) in the back that also radiates heat.

The difference is amazing to me. I guess you can equate it with sitting outside in the sun or shade.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
When it's 118 degrees outside, you don't appreciate your big living room window facing the setting sun absorbing a lot of heat. It can get hot enough that your blinds or curtains will absorb and radiate heat, making your living room a room to be avoided on a summer afternoon.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 AM

240 posts, read 837,895 times
Backyard to the east is my preference. You get the early morning sun and then up and over the house goes the sun in the hotter part of the day. For south or west facing windows, check into heat blocking window treatments. A/C placement is something else to consider. You don't want all that noise and heat blowing around near you when you are trying to enjoy your backyard.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks, everybody,

It sounds as if the back of the house should be either north- or east-facing to keep the house cooler and to be able to enjoy the back yard. Is that right?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
It's not just that, there's other factors that may figure in, too.... Trees in yours or your neighbor's yard, your neighbor's two story house directly behind you that helps block the sun, etc. My back yard faces south, and I know many others who have that orientation too.. A large covered patio goes a long way to enjoying your back yard and protecting the windows on that side of the house from direct sunlight. If you really love a house that doesn't face the way you describe, there's other ways to give you shade and manage your indoor temperatures.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Default Oh

Thanks observer53,

I hadn't thought of that. Back east if you don't have southern exposure, then you don't have light, period. But, of course with the other situation, too much sun, then you just need ways to block it. OTOH, if my neighbor's 2-story house is close enough to shade my house and yard, I probably wouldn't like that!

Old 06-05-2010, 12:03 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
The orientation preference for north/south is mostly for cooling and electricity cost considerations. You do NOT want large windows on the east or west side unless they are shaded. As you look for a place to live, be aware of the possible sun exposure in every room and measure it against the use and timing of the room. Sun exposure is different from temperature. The sun isn't hotter in the afternoon, just the air is. South-facing windows gain very little from their exposure to the sun in the summer (compared to east and west) because the sun is so high up in the sky.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 06-05-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 12:52 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks mhouse,

That makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area