Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:09 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,646 times

Advertisements

Not sure why it bugs me, but when I go to a place where there is a lot of people taking pictures then I see that one person whip out their bedazzeled iPAD, and start snapping pictures and videos it drives me up the wall, I don't know why. Does any one else feel this way. Or do I have issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 02:44 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
You've issues.

Seriously why does it matter what they use for a snapshot?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,821 times
I think a lot has to do with the awkwardness of it. The iPad's camera is meh and it seems to be more of a "look at me" gesture, (at least for some people).

Though I don't see it that often.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,485 times
I don't care (nor do I pay much attention to) what others are shooting with unless they've got some pro-type gear. Then I'm just curious to see what they're shooting with.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:08 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,922 times
I could not care any less what other people do as long as they aren't impeding on my space. iPads away!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM

697 posts, read 3,020,576 times
It definitely looks dorky and has a certain "check out my package" aspect to it, which is why I try to avoid it, and why I feel weird on the occasions when I've been compelled to do it. However, there are times when it's just what you've gotta do. I recently attended the funeral of an elderly aunt, which was followed by a luncheon in the social hall of the church across the road from the cemetery. There were lots of people from my dad's family I hadn't seen in years and probably won't see again for many more, if at all, many of whom hadn't seen each other in forever either. It was a quick trip and I decided to only bring carry-on luggage, and since I'm tethered to two laptops pretty much full-time for work, space in my backpack was at a premium -- too much so for me to haul my DSLR with me. The iPad is useful in many ways, so it made the cut in packing for the trip, and since the camera on it, however mediocre, is better than the one in my Blackberry, it's what I had available to me to take snapshots of the family, so I sucked it up and looked like a dork for a while.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
It's the awkwardness in the way it looks. Almost like holding a book in the air. Most people don't really have a reason to carry a full sized tablet around with them in touristy situations as well, so that adds to the raised eyebrows I think. If I saw a Realtor carrying an iPad (or other similar device) around taking shots of a house I wouldn't blink an eye, as there are now Realty-work related apps on these things and it would be done for work. But in a tourist environment - yeah, it does look kind of odd.

This year there are at least two 5.3 inch smart phone/mini-tablet devices coming out, however. One is from Samsung, and the other from I think HTC. They are basically just smart phones with enormous screens, but also just big enough to function as mini-tablets as well, with the Samsung at least, coming with a built-in stylus that can be used for specialized writing apps that come built-in with it. There's NO way to predict what trends might catch on with the public, but if these mondo-phones/mini-tablet things take off, then I think you'll start to see more and more people using those to take pics in touristy areas. And they won't stand out as much 'casue you still pretty much hold them like a (oversized) cell phone to take the photo.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Why somebody should be annoyed about anybody using an iPad to take photos is beyond me

Not too long ago some of us would grab a little Kodak camera made of cardboard to take pictures, and I don't remember others being annoyed by it.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 AM

327 posts, read 766,863 times
I've got an iPad and that's the last thing I'd be using to snap any photos I would deem "professional" or the like... It's terrible. It does come off a bit show-offy, though...

Old 01-18-2012, 04:28 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,810,207 times
I'm usually so focused (no pun intended) on my own photography that I don't even look to see what anyone else is doing. I'm more concerned that they stay out of my shot.

I'm sure there are quite a few people like Rackensack who must travel light and just want the convenience that being able to capture a few memories with their iPad give them. I know people who use their iPad for just about everything and don't care about the quality of the photos.

I have a smart phone with a pretty decent camera, but I never think to even use it. The only time I've done it is once when I had a car accident. I photographed the damage to both cars and sent them to my insurance adjuster. The other time was when I was saw something I liked in a consignment shop. Took a photo so I could go home and see if I thought it would fit in with the other things in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography