Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times

Advertisements

I've been missing the depth of the photos from a full frame DSLR. My old 1D mkII was a lovely camera but impractical, too heavy and the battery life was silly short, especially in cold weather. So, I have been looking into another FF Canon, and I keep bouncing around between the original 5D, the 5D MkII, or the 6D.

1-the original 5D. It loses the megapixel race, but it's a cool 10 benjies less than the other cameras, and I'm not sure that the other cameras I am considering are worth that much more. 12.8 was plenty for the pros when the 5D came out-heck, I knew a pro who had one the MKI 1D's and it was a pro level camera when it came out. I think it would be a fine camera for my uses, mainly landscape, travel and cars.

2-5D MKII. Roughly twice the pixels, video, live view, but is all that worth another grand? Especially given that I don't use a DSLR for video, ever. I use a G10 for that. The MKII will be a generation newer. What surprised me was the number of 5D MKII owners who signed right up for the MKIII-what, that wasn't enough?

3-6D. they are current, you can get a warranty, to me they feel like a 5D, once again about a grand more than a 5D. Lots of nice features, most of which I would never use but the WIFI intrigues me, I might use that for downloading to the desktop and that would same me from digging out the card reader....and leaving the card in the reader when I wander off to snap a quick photo.

I can read all the online reviews out there, but I'd like feedback from actual users of these models. Cheers and thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
I have a 5DII and a 7D. I was comparing the 5D II and there 6D for a long time before I settled for the 5D II, but the 6D's processor and sensor are quite advanced compared to the 5DII. I bought the 5DII refurbished from Canon, and it was like a brand new camera, including the warranty. The only reason why I bought the 5DII over the 6D is because I didn't need the advanced features of the 6D, just for it being a FF camera. So, a FF sensor and good weather sealing were my only needs. Both the 7D and 5D II have similar button layout, and used the same type of batteries and chargers.

But if I were in your shoes I would choose a 6D for the following reasons:
-Perhaps the best high ISO/low digital noise on the market at the moment
-Top of the line sensor
-Full warranty
-Relatively small and lightweight
-Relatively cheap compared to the 5D III
-The rest of the other numerous features are up to you if that's what you want

The 5Dc is a wonderful camera, now a classic. But no warranty available for it, and does not have electronic sensor cleaner like newer Canon cameras. It means that you have to manually clean the sensor every now and then. Other than that, those who have this camera just love it. While the sensor is not as advanced as newer cameras, the color rendition from it is second to none.

In this forum you can see photo samples from all the cameras you have mentioned, and is a real good place to ask your questions about your camera choices:
Canon EOS Digital Cameras - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
The improvements from the 5D to the MII were not as great as we wanted. The 5DMIII is what the MII should have been. The 6D is an entry level FF so if you are not relying on it to make a living its an awesome camera and lighter than the 5D series.

I skipped the MII when outfitting my business and then replaced all of the 5D bodies with the MIII. I did get to play with the 6D and I really think it is the best entry level DSLR from canon. I don't really care for crop sensors.

I think you will like the 6D more.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:37 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
I'm going for the 5d mkiii. I've looked at hundreds of comparison, pictures etc and the mkiii is the best in my opinion.
Sure it's expensive, but the pictures you can get with it are amazing.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
The improvements from the 5D to the MII were not as great as we wanted. The 5DMIII is what the MII should have been. The 6D is an entry level FF so if you are not relying on it to make a living its an awesome camera and lighter than the 5D series.

I skipped the MII when outfitting my business and then replaced all of the 5D bodies with the MIII. I did get to play with the 6D and I really think it is the best entry level DSLR from canon. I don't really care for crop sensors.

I think you will like the 6D more.
The 6D may be a Full-frame entry level camera, and preferred by any photographer, Pro or not, who is into low-light photography. A lot of wedding photographers are using this camera to take shots where low ambient light is desired without the use of a flash. For night photography of the sky it's just about perfect:
-= 6D Owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos! - Page 47 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

But for those who prefer the better weather sealing and superior auto-focus system, the 5DIII is an outstanding camera and its price reflects that. Image quality, however is about the same between the 6D and 5DIII.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The 6D is a very very capable tool for probably 98% of all photographic needs of the very proficient amateur as well as all but the most demanding situations for professionals.

The 5D is almost antiquated by current levels of sophistication in the speed and image sensor that the 6D exhibits and this is reflected in values too -- used 6D is a far more costly than used 5D. BUT if the real core of the OP's subjects are NOT low light / fast motion then the extra money is not going to bring a whole more utility.

The 5DmkII is closer match in value, but really that is mostly because of the "built like a tank" qualities for folks that make a living with this devices.

Of course for folks for whom "getting the tough shot" means the difference between getting paid and having a card full of worthlessness the EXTRA GRAND for the 5DmkIII and its far more numerous options for focus is well worth the sticker shock...

I have had EXCELLENT service from Canon on products that were WELL outside of their initial warranty, often with surprisingly modest charges even when the problem was due to my own carelessness. I would NOT be overly concerned buying Canon gear that is not "under warranty".

Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Why use a card reader? I plug my 5dmkii straight into the computer to download!

It depends, I wouldn't revert back to the original 5D, nor will I buy the markIII. I think you should go with the 6D. It is faster than the MKII and has wifi. I have wifi on my 70d and I love it but I transfer to my iPhone where I would shoot something specifically to play in camera+

Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why use a card reader? I plug my 5dmkii straight into the computer to download!

It depends, I wouldn't revert back to the original 5D, nor will I buy the markIII. I think you should go with the 6D. It is faster than the MKII and has wifi. I have wifi on my 70d and I love it but I transfer to my iPhone where I would shoot something specifically to play in camera+
Yes, the 6D is newer, lighter, smaller, and has a great sensor. The 5DIII is a rugged camera, great for sports or fast moving subjects, and so on. But knowing the limitations of the 6D (not as rugged, and with an AF system that's not as sophisticated), it still is a great little FF camera that's not as expensive.

As I mentioned before, the reason why I got a 5DII was because of the weather sealing, and being a FF camera (it met my needs for shooting in the cold). The 6D is just an amazing entry level FF camera that's making a lot of photographers on a budget quite happy.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have a 5DII and a 7D. I was comparing the 5D II and there 6D for a long time before I settled for the 5D II, but the 6D's processor and sensor are quite advanced compared to the 5DII. I bought the 5DII refurbished from Canon, and it was like a brand new camera, including the warranty. The only reason why I bought the 5DII over the 6D is because I didn't need the advanced features of the 6D, just for it being a FF camera. So, a FF sensor and good weather sealing were my only needs. Both the 7D and 5D II have similar button layout, and used the same type of batteries and chargers.

But if I were in your shoes I would choose a 6D for the following reasons:
-Perhaps the best high ISO/low digital noise on the market at the moment
-Top of the line sensor
-Full warranty
-Relatively small and lightweight
-Relatively cheap compared to the 5D III
-The rest of the other numerous features are up to you if that's what you want

The 5Dc is a wonderful camera, now a classic. But no warranty available for it, and does not have electronic sensor cleaner like newer Canon cameras. It means that you have to manually clean the sensor every now and then. Other than that, those who have this camera just love it. While the sensor is not as advanced as newer cameras, the color rendition from it is second to none.

In this forum you can see photo samples from all the cameras you have mentioned, and is a real good place to ask your questions about your camera choices:
Canon EOS Digital Cameras - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Thank you

Old 11-27-2013, 04:25 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Yes, the 6D is newer, lighter, smaller, and has a great sensor. The 5DIII is a rugged camera, great for sports or fast moving subjects, and so on. But knowing the limitations of the 6D (not as rugged, and with an AF system that's not as sophisticated), it still is a great little FF camera that's not as expensive.

As I mentioned before, the reason why I got a 5DII was because of the weather sealing, and being a FF camera (it met my needs for shooting in the cold). The 6D is just an amazing entry level FF camera that's making a lot of photographers on a budget quite happy.
I think the 5DMKIII doesn't have enough to be that expensive. My 40D has 6 frames...for $3400+ it should have had at least 10 frames. I 'll skip that one and see what comes next. Plus it doesn't have wifi which for me was a huge plus.

I would get the 6D just so I give my 5DMKII a break, and have it as a walk around since it's lighter.

If "weather sealing" is your main concern OP, then get the 5DMKII or III, and that's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography