Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,271 times

Advertisements

I have a Nikon quick charger mh-18a that I'm going to be taking on a trip to New Zealand. NZ runs on 220volt, 50 cycle power. The charger mechanism (that which holds the battery) is rated for that, but I'm wondering if the cord is similarly capable of dealing with the higher voltage. It seems logical that if the charger can handle 220v, then the means by which it gets the power (i.e., the cord) should also be up to the task.
Has anyone used this charger without modification (no special power cords) in a 220v environment?
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 01:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
You should be fine if the charger is rated for the voltage. My Sony charger, for example, is rated 100-240V 50/60Hz. So, it can plug directly into the socket within that range. And I've used it multiple times over the years with my overseas travels. Usually, you will be expected to have an outlet adapter for various pin designs although, in some cases (often in trains, hotels and sometimes at homes) in India, even a socket adapter is not needed as the outlet is designed to accommodate the pin design. In these cases, I plug the chargers (includes phone/laptop chargers) directly into the outlet.

If you want to be on the safer side, you could always buy a voltage converter with outlet adapter to convert to 110V (I've stopped carrying a converter since most new devices do support dual voltage).

Old 01-27-2015, 01:36 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
I have charged my batteries in Europe without problems. Just needed a converter that would fit in their plugs. No voltage converter was needed. So, I think you should have no problems in NZ.
http://www.quackit.com/travel/new_ze...power_plug.cfm

Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,271 times
Thanks so much for your prompt replies! The last time I was in NZ I was using a Nikon FM that had a battery that rarely needed replacing - things were a lot simpler back then :-) So now I'm slowly but surely dealing with more "moving parts" to this trip (cell phone usage, battery charging, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography