Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 AM

56 posts, read 310,565 times

Advertisements

Well I've decided to finally take on the project of digitizing all of my parents' family photos. I did a rough count and it's around 5000 prints -- most are 4x6 or 5x7 size and in good shape.

I need a high-speed scanner that can do this job. 5000 prints is obviously too big a project for a flatbed scanner, and hiring a service bureau is out of the question because they charge like $3-$4 per scan, so unless somebody can give me $20,000 as a gift then it's not an option.

What do you recommend for a scanner? I prefer one that has a straight-thru feeder mechanism so it doesn't "roll" the photos like some of the cheaper ADFs do on low-budget all-in-one units. I also need one that can accommodate varying size photos in the feeder.

Here's my settings for the project:

--- 24-bit full color
--- 600 dpi TIFF
--- auto-straighten for crooked scans

I probably will do all the final cropping of the scans myself since I've never seen an auto-crop work well in Photoshop. I might try the batch Despeckle feature in Photoshop since I've seen good results with that before.

Also, I noticed about 1000 photos have hand-written notes on the back that indicate the date and some minor details about who/where. I'd really like to preserve this "metadata" for each photo. What's the best way to do this --- maybe scan these photos as multi-page TIFF? I'd like to avoid scanning them as PDF since that's really not a photo format.

My budget will allow up to a $1,200 scanner so gimme some good advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 07:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,131,411 times
I'm not going to make any recommendations but make sure it has Digital Ice or similar technology. Software alone has limitations for cleaning up images, is that dust floating in the air or dust on the image? Texture on material or dirt on the image?

Digital ice is hardware based, it does two scans of the image. One is in infrared and it picks up physical imperfections on the surface of the image whether it's dust, scratches or fingerprints.That is then removed through software. You're only fixing what needs to be fixed.

As far as the metadata I never worked with EXIF in TIFF but if it has the same support for EXIF like .jpg you should be able to use a program like Irfanview to insert it.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:56 PM

56 posts, read 310,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not going to make any recommendations but make sure it has Digital Ice or similar technology. Software alone has limitations for cleaning up images, is that dust floating in the air or dust on the image? Texture on material or dirt on the image?

Digital ice is hardware based, it does two scans of the image. One is in infrared and it picks up physical imperfections on the surface of the image whether it's dust, scratches or fingerprints.That is then removed through software. You're only fixing what needs to be fixed.
Digital Ice is only featured on Epson scanners?

I've seen Despeckle work pretty well in Photoshop --- I might just run a few batches and see it how it does.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,131,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb933-lon View Post
Digital Ice is only featured on Epson scanners?

I've seen Despeckle work pretty well in Photoshop --- I might just run a few batches and see it how it does.
It's available on other scanners than Epson and there is competing technology.

The issue with software based is what I already outlined. Consider if you have a shot of snowflakes, are they specks of dust on the photograph or snowflakes? Texture on a sweater or dirt on the image? That technology takes the guesswork out of it because it's not examining the content of the image. It's looking for physical imperfections on the surface of the image. There is no question it doesn't belong there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=digi...=isch&imgdii=_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography