Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times

Advertisements

I could use some advice from all of the CD camera buffs.

I want to get a low-end point and shoot camera for an upcoming trip. It seems that these are being phased out as everyone is using their iphone.

I have a low-end smart phone that takes good-enough pictures, but of course lacks the zoom feature. The problem is that it drains the phone battery and after about taking 30 pictures, the battery is rather low. I could use one of those portable recharging batteries, but I might not have enough time to wait for the phone to recharge if I want to take more pictures. We will be also taking a nice DSLR camera with us, but it's not "mine," really and I probably won't be "allowed" to use it much. Plus, I never know if I'll ever get to download the pictures that I have taken with it, at least in a timely fashion. Also, one DSLR is enough to carry around plus extra lenses.

I might possibly upgrade my smartphone in a year or two or when it breaks, whichever comes first, but I need something for now so I don't want to spend a lot of money just for a P&S camera.

I spent about an hour and half poking around B&H yesterday. Salespeople weren't very helpful and of course, they weren't too interested in selling a low-end point and shoot.

I was looking at the Canon ELPH 360. I read that the Wifi feature on it for using with a computer is a real pain. It's more geared for putting pictures on a smartphone, something that I want to avoid.

I was also considering the Canon Powershot SX620, a bit higher price point. I only got to "handle" the ELPH 360 yesterday and never got to see the SX620 in person. B&H doesn't keep a lot of these low end cameras in their showroom for customers to try out. Are the Nikon coolpix any better? They have the panoramic feature, but not sure if I'll even use that. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 10:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

I want to get a low-end point and shoot camera for an upcoming trip.

I was looking at the Canon ELPH 360. I read that the WiFi feature on it for using with a computer is a real pain. It's more geared for putting pictures on a smartphone, something that I want to avoid.

I was also considering the Canon Powershot SX620, a bit higher price point.

They have the panoramic feature, but not sure if I'll even use that. Any advice?
I have been looking at cameras for 50+ years. It is never ending... I have been a Canon fan (and a B&H fan) since around 1972.

Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS is a "Amazon's Choice". https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...Canon+ELPH+360 check it out...

I can not speak about the "Wifi feature", I pull my pictures/videos off the memory card at the computer...

I currently used a Canon A-1400 pocket camera for a few years which is now out of production... (I also have to other cameras I use).

You can create "Panoramic" pictures using almost any still camera with free software. One sample: http://www.city-data.com/forum/11700787-post35.html

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-24-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 12:22 AM

Thanks, I think I came to a decision.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:35 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
For what it's worth, I've gone through a few point and shoots. My Canon (can't remember the model name) was one of my favorites, though it started showing its age. I'm a Nikon person though, so I tend to stick with them - my S9700 was a worthy replacement. I usually shoot with my D750 though, so any basic P&S at this point looks bad to me.

That said, I also hate carrying it around *all* the time - I just bought a Canon G7X Mk. II. Not the zoomiest thing out there, but a great sensor (1") and so far great images for what it is - it blows my Nikon AWS120 out of the water (though I do like that the Nikon is waterproof, which is why I bought it). The Canon is fairly small, light, and easy to use. Had Nikon not cancelled the DL series though, I would have gotten one of them. You're going to pay for a larger sensor P&S though, so if you're looking dirt cheap, this entire post was a moot point

Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
For what it's worth, I've gone through a few point and shoots. My Canon (can't remember the model name) was one of my favorites, though it started showing its age. I'm a Nikon person though, so I tend to stick with them - my S9700 was a worthy replacement. I usually shoot with my D750 though, so any basic P&S at this point looks bad to me.

That said, I also hate carrying it around *all* the time - I just bought a Canon G7X Mk. II. Not the zoomiest thing out there, but a great sensor (1") and so far great images for what it is - it blows my Nikon AWS120 out of the water (though I do like that the Nikon is waterproof, which is why I bought it). The Canon is fairly small, light, and easy to use. Had Nikon not cancelled the DL series though, I would have gotten one of them. You're going to pay for a larger sensor P&S though, so if you're looking dirt cheap, this entire post was a moot point
Thank you ReblTeen84 for your reply. We will be bringing an older (no wifi) Canon DSLR with us, plus lenses, but I thought it would be nice to have a cheap small point and shoot as a back-up, especially since my current smartphone is also low-end and runs out of juice after taking pictures.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,179,877 times
Panasonic LX10.

Quote:

I want to get a low-end point and shoot camera for an upcoming trip. It seems that these are being phased out as everyone is using their iphone.

I have a low-end smart phone that takes good-enough pictures, but of course lacks the zoom feature. The problem is that it drains the phone battery and after about taking 30 pictures, the battery is rather low. I could use one of those portable recharging batteries, but I might not have enough time to wait for the phone to recharge if I want to take more pictures. We will be also taking a nice DSLR camera with us, but it's not "mine," really and I probably won't be "allowed" to use it much. Plus, I never know if I'll ever get to download the pictures that I have taken with it, at least in a timely fashion. Also, one DSLR is enough to carry around plus extra lenses.

I might possibly upgrade my smartphone in a year or two or when it breaks, whichever comes first, but I need something for now so I don't want to spend a lot of money just for a P&S camera.

I spent about an hour and half poking around B&H yesterday. Salespeople weren't very helpful and of course, they weren't too interested in selling a low-end point and shoot.

I was looking at the Canon ELPH 360. I read that the Wifi feature on it for using with a computer is a real pain. It's more geared for putting pictures on a smartphone, something that I want to avoid.

I was also considering the Canon Powershot SX620, a bit higher price point. I only got to "handle" the ELPH 360 yesterday and never got to see the SX620 in person. B&H doesn't keep a lot of these low end cameras in their showroom for customers to try out. Are the Nikon coolpix any better? They have the panoramic feature, but not sure if I'll even use that. Any advice?

Old 04-06-2017, 11:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:

I want to get a low-end point and shoot camera for an upcoming trip.

We will be also taking a nice DSLR camera with us

Any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Panasonic LX10.
I don't consider the Panasonic LX10 low-end point and shoot camera... It's a $640+ camera...

$649.99 · Best BuyFree shipping
$647.99 · B&H Photo-Video-AudioFree shipping, no tax
$647.99 · Adorama CameraFree shipping, no tax
$649.99 · Ritz Camera

Old 04-08-2017, 03:09 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,179,877 times
You get what you pay for....what price range are you looking for? Is IQ not important and you just want the cheapest possible. Are you looking for indoor and outdoor! What kind of images will you be shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I don't consider the Panasonic LX10 low-end point and shoot camera... It's a $640+ camera...

$649.99 · Best BuyFree shipping
$647.99 · B&H Photo-Video-AudioFree shipping, no tax
$647.99 · Adorama CameraFree shipping, no tax
$649.99 · Ritz Camera

Old 04-12-2017, 01:52 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
If you want an excellent point and shoot and not spend a lot of money, the older Canon Elph 500HS (F2–5.8-24–105 mm) is a great camera. Here are the details, https://goo.gl/KcR1ts, and you can buy it new, open box on the bay for less than $150 https://goo.gl/MS4qE2

I don't know what your price point is, however, if a point and shoot won't fit in my pocket, I call it a regular sized camera. IMO the best deal on a regular, although small DX camera, is the Sony a6000. Here are the details - https://goo.gl/3Erfaj

You will have to choose the lens. I use the Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS which will cost you more than the camera. Seach Craigslist for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography