Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 18,565 times

Advertisements

Why does snoopdog carry an umbrella?
For drizzle

One snowman looks to the other: "Do you smell carrots?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
I'm a photographer, and there are people who see the camera, and plaster on a fake grin, and I have to actively work to get them to relax. There's so much more than just big fake grins - and a natural expression - whether it's serious, or a hint of a smile, or anything in between - is so much more interesting than the standard, say cheese and smile expression!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 AM

365 posts, read 1,402,211 times
I love photography but, I hate smiling, as well as having my picture taken. When I do smile it looks fake, unless someone happens to grab a shot of me without my knowledge of it happening... which oddly enough, I'm usually okay with.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,232,965 times
I Am Smiling - LayoutLocator - Search over 50,000+ Images for MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, Friendster, and Hi-5! (http://friendster.layoutlocator.com/graphic/50568-i-am-smiling.html - broken link)

Y'all realize this is a 3 yr old thread don't you?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times
Nothing wrong with an old thread!
I hate people that say "smile". My grandson (6 yrs old) says "pickle!" It usually brings a smile to the rest of our faces! LOL

Old 07-24-2011, 02:00 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Yes, a 3-year old thread and surprisingly to me, it cropped up, but I guess people still have comments to make. As for me, I STILL don't get the "non-smiling" thing! A picture looks so, so much better when the people in it ARE smiling. Nobody is telling anyone they must smile, but.........
And, for those that don't like having their picture taken, simply stay away from the front of cameras! Some folks take smiling or non-smiling as part of a description of your personality, in ways I guess. Non-smiling people in a photo have just haunted me and have just always wondered why they look so unhappy!!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
And, for those that don't like having their picture taken, simply stay away from the front of cameras!
Duh. We do, for the most part. Didn't we just cover that? You are not telling us anything new. And if we do allow ourselves to be photographed, simply accept the fact that you cannot control whether or not people smile.

Quote:

Some folks take smiling or non-smiling as part of a description of your personality, in ways I guess. Non-smiling people in a photo have just haunted me and have just always wondered why they look so unhappy!!
You are HAUNTED? That IS funny. PICKLE!

I think historically, the smiling snapshot is relatively new. In the past photography was formal and the cameras a bit slow shutter speed. And maybe because in the olden days people had bad teeth.

I have read that in some cultures, people never smile for photographs. Read that somewhere in anthropology studies. As a non-anglo, I think the fake smile looks goofy on some people. But I don't really care one way or the other.

It's personal preference, for some, as some think they look better in photographs when they don't smile.

That does not equate unhappiness.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:11 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times
Quote:
Very good reasons. But still, a couple of non-smiling people can make a photo look........?????? Oh well, I guess!
How many people are in these pictures, you are talking about? What about people who always close their eyes? Groups with more than 3 or 4 people are going to have imperfections.

I've never really cared, about the actual photo being "perfect", but that we have a photo to reinforce the memories. Any picture, is better than NO pictures.
My son died 6+ years ago. I'd be happy with some more photos of him....smiling, or not. In fact, I've begged his friends for anything.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Quote:
Yes, a 3-year old thread and surprisingly to me, it cropped up, but I guess people still have comments to make. As for me, I STILL don't get the "non-smiling" thing! A picture looks so, so much better when the people in it ARE smiling. Nobody is telling anyone they must smile, but.........
And, for those that don't like having their picture taken, simply stay away from the front of cameras! Some folks take smiling or non-smiling as part of a description of your personality, in ways I guess. Non-smiling people in a photo have just haunted me and have just always wondered why they look so unhappy!!
I like to catch different expressions. People have such a wide range of emotions they express, all of them interesting. Those expressions illuminate their character. Of course that may not be considered portrait photography. Genuine smiles are good. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
A lot of times, in taking a group photo, I look thru the viewfinder and make sure EVERYONE is smiling and tell them about it if they aren't. I don't sound demanding when I ask for smiles, I say it sort of jokingly and that gets the smiles going.......then I'm happy!! The shutter button doesn't go all the way down 'til I satisfied with the photo I'm taking. IMO, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with wanting everyone to smile and getting them to do it!
After I took a few photos with my wife's sister, who doesn't smile in a photo, and my wife's sister's husband, who is the same way, I started making them smile in photos I'd take with them in it. Never had a problem getting them to smile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography