Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:34 PM

692 posts, read 3,856,434 times

Advertisements

I just found this section of the forum and very glad I did.

I've been looking into getting a more beginer SLR and have it narrowed down to the:
Canon XTi
Canon XT
Nikon D40
Olympus E410

Does any one have an opinion on any of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,686 times
If its a Canon you want, hold out for the new XSi, 12 mega. DSLR....not sure when it is hitting the streets....was announced in January.....

As far as Nikons go...and they are my preferred 'weapon of choice', I'd look at the D60 before I'd go for the D40.....its the upgrade...10 mega.

I'm not a serious Canon fan at all, but the new XSi DOES sound like a seriously nice DSLR.

Check out the Nikon at Nikon Cameras

Canon at: Camera - EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Digital Cameras - New Products - Canon USA Consumer Products

I'd buy the Nikon first. I've shot with them for over 30 years, and not one of them has ever let me down....when something works, I stick with it!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Canon is my weapon of choice . I agree with Azkadellia, you should really hold off for the the new EOS 450d (XSi) which should hit the streets later this month. I thought about upgrading my 400d for this one but think I'll wait until later this year when Canon announces the 5d upgrade.

Attached is a pic I took with my XTi.
Attached Thumbnails
New SLR-beemandible65.jpg  

Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Here are another couple of pictures I took with my Canon XTi (400d). Maybe when the new 450d comes out, you can rent it for a couple of days to see how you like it.
Attached Thumbnails
New SLR-mantis65.jpg   New SLR-hopper65.jpg  

Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
You could always wait for the new XSi to come out, at which time the price of the XTi will drop. Then buy the XTi and a good set of lenses.

The XT is over three years old now, but it's a nice little camera. That's the one I used to take this photo today, of what I believe is a cone of some sort of Tamarack tree (?). The tree is not dead, just dormant. Each little cone is about 1/4" across the top. This is not a macro photo, just a close-up with a 200mm canon L prime and a Kenko tube.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 AM

Default Here is a better one

Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 AM

184 posts, read 491,668 times
Hi,
I would search old posts about this. I know I asked the same question when I was looking, and so have a lot of other people, so you might find something interesting

Anyway, I ended up going with the Nikon D40. I've only had it for a few months and am still learning, but I have really been pleased with the picture quality and I find it fairly easy to use.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,764,496 times
I have the first generation Canon XT and have been happy with it - the only thing I don't like is that is has a very small LCD in which the next generations of Canon SLR's have improved on. If you can afford the higher price and are considering Canon glass, wait until the XSI comes out later this month like the other's have said.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,686 times
Ya know, I think we all know one thing for certain with DSLR's and well, any digital camera for that matter: the minute we buy the newest one, the next generation is in development, then we go 'ah nuts, why didn't I wait?'.....LOL!

I like the look of the XSi....but I am holding out to see what Nikon does this year....I hope they bring out a 16.7 megger.....I was hoping the D300 or the D3x would be 'the one'....but not yet.....I know where the D300 and D3 is, the D400 and D4 can't be far off.....

Funny isn't it? This hobby of ours....ever changing.....film was just so much easier! LOL!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
Ya know, I think we all know one thing for certain with DSLR's and well, any digital camera for that matter: the minute we buy the newest one, the next generation is in development, then we go 'ah nuts, why didn't I wait?'.....LOL!

I like the look of the XSi....but I am holding out to see what Nikon does this year....I hope they bring out a 16.7 megger.....I was hoping the D300 or the D3x would be 'the one'....but not yet.....I know where the D300 and D3 is, the D400 and D4 can't be far off.....

Funny isn't it? This hobby of ours....ever changing.....film was just so much easier! LOL!
Nikon will bring one at least with a sensor around 20MP, but it will cost over $5,000. However, with a D3 (full-size sensor) you don't need a 20MP sensor, since with it you can increase the size of the image to a similar size of the Canon's 21MP full-size sensor without losing resolution.

Just imagine the hard drive you will need to save an image captured with a 16MP sensor? Both Canon and Nikon compete heavily, so a camera you buy right now drops in price by the following year when the new model comes out. I just keep the old body, invest the extra money on Canon L lenses, and upgrade the body every few years. By the way, if I upgrade from my Canon XT two years from now, it will be with the 50D, which by then will be 1-2 years old. The 40D is almost a year old now, so the 50D should be out by the end of this year, or by April next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography