Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times

Advertisements

Now to put kdog's mind at ease about them gators and panoramas I dug this one up. We do have gators here in FL of panoramic format. Especially if ya can tinker in Photoshop a bit. This is a bit of a gag photo but the original panorama was nice too. It's the long lean look that makes these things appeal to me anyway.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times

Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Okay...no experience with pano shots. When you take the shots, are you supposed to just turn your body and start clicking? How many shots do you have to take, or does that depend on how wide you want the finished photo to look like? How do you know that they will line up when stitched? If your camera has the ability to display grids, are you supposed to turn it on? When you use any stitching software, does it automatically know where to overlap or are you manually lining up the shots so that it find where to overlap?

I know, I know...lots of questions!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Okay...no experience with pano shots. When you take the shots, are you supposed to just turn your body and start clicking? How many shots do you have to take, or does that depend on how wide you want the finished photo to look like? How do you know that they will line up when stitched? If your camera has the ability to display grids, are you supposed to turn it on? When you use any stitching software, does it automatically know where to overlap or are you manually lining up the shots so that it find where to overlap?

I know, I know...lots of questions!
Two ways without a panoramic camera.

1. Put the camera on a tripod. Shoot only 2 shots to practice with. One to the left and then one to the right. It's important to have the same amount of light for each shot or it will show after splicing. Overlap the frames by 25-30%. Note that you can't stitch a moving object as a flag blowing in the breeze. Depending on the software used there should be a stitching tool that will line up the the overlapping pixels for you.

2. The simplest way is to shoot with a wide angle lens and crop the photo to a wide angle format.

Now if you want to get real serious, there are cameras designed solely for panoramas but I would need a mortgage broker for some of them.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post

1. Put the camera on a tripod. Shoot only 2 shots to practice with. One to the left and then one to the right. It's important to have the same amount of light for each shot or it will show after splicing. Overlap the frames by 25-30%. Note that you can't stitch a moving object as a flag blowing in the breeze. Depending on the software used there should be a stitching tool that will line up the the overlapping pixels for you.

2. The simplest way is to shoot with a wide angle lens and crop the photo to a wide angle format.

Now if you want to get real serious, there are cameras designed solely for panoramas but I would need a mortgage broker for some of them.
When you say "without a panoramic camera" does that mean 1) a panoramic setting in the camera or 2) a manual setting where the aspect ratio used is 16:9 is still not going to work?

Oh, since all your kids are grown, and you're a gramps, go get yourself a panoramic camera. I can recommend a good mortgage broker!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 PM

I've never seen a camera with a panorama mode in a singe shot. Wish it were so with digital...

I don't consider anything less than a 1:2 ratio a panorama. You could easily crop that 16:9 to 16:8 and you would have one. I'm seeing some 8x16 inch frames now in some of the box stores. Now about that panoramic camera.... Stay tuned....

Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I've never seen a camera with a panorama mode in a singe shot. Wish it were so with digital...

I don't consider anything less than a 1:2 ratio a panorama. You could easily crop that 16:9 to 16:8 and you would have one. I'm seeing some 8x16 inch frames now in some of the box stores. Now about that panoramic camera.... Stay tuned....
What are you saying? When I take the 2 pics you were suggesting, do I use my landscape setting (maybe that's what I meant), or use 16:9, and then stitch the 2 or do I use normal 4:3? I took two test shots of my house in the landscape setting and in manual at 16:9 and they look exactly like (like a wide screen TV shot with the black area on top).

Old 07-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
What are you saying? When I take the 2 pics you were suggesting, do I use my landscape setting (maybe that's what I meant), or use 16:9, and then stitch the 2 or do I use normal 4:3? I took two test shots of my house in the landscape setting and in manual at 16:9 and they look exactly like (like a wide screen TV shot with the black area on top).
You can use either mode as long as both share a common portion in the image for a stitch zone. The left image is what you would see from your left eye plus the center. Same goes for the right having the right side. If you use the 16:9 you could get a real wide pana. The subject will determine the mode. Think about a long skinny beach landscape. I'd shoot 16:9 and then for say a hillside 4:3 in maybe a 3 shot stitch. The only reason I said to start with two frames is to simplify the stitching process the first time. 3 images usually make the best finished print I believe if you are using 1:1/.5 or 4:3. With your abilty to use the 16:9, 2 frames should do a great job. Hope I haven't dumped to much mud in the creek here?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:34 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Quote:

I have not tried this yet... and with your lesson I now think I will try. This stitching thing sounds like the nuts and bolts stuff I get into, thanks for the explanation! I already have my subject in mind, which, just by chance I drove by today on the way home from work. And of course, because I was near, I had to jump out between rain showers and snap a few. Do ya think this place would be a decent place to try the panoramic shot?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Hey bells just went off in the old gray matter. Think of a giant photo quilt. Each square containing a portion of the overall photo. You can see a little overlap with each square to make it right without any white showing when stitched together.... Now ain't that cool for and old mind to figure that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography