Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:39 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I have not tried this yet... and with your lesson I now think I will try. This stitching thing sounds like the nuts and bolts stuff I get into, thanks for the explanation! I already have my subject in mind, which, just by chance I drove by today on the way home from work. And of course, because I was near, I had to jump out between rain showers and snap a few. Do ya think this place would be a decent place to try the panoramic shot?

Is this a gorge in GA??? Looks like a place I visited a few years back in a previous life. Absolutely if you can get the sun steady and very little if any wind. Now you can do a manual stitch in Photoshop that will let you do an winding splice that makes it harder to detect a stitch line. I've seen it demo'ed in a seminar and it works. As long as a tree is not bending in the wind. HTH

Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
These shots were taken at Providence Canyons State Park in west central Georgia. That is actually red clay and kaolin... not rocks. The overall depth is only like a 100 feet or so, but I think this just may be the place to try this stitching gig for the first time. Thanx again.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
These shots were taken at Providence Canyons State Park in west central Georgia. That is actually red clay and kaolin... not rocks. The overall depth is only like a 100 feet or so, but I think this just may be the place to try this stitching gig for the first time. Thanx again.
That's the place I visited mid 90's. Please post some photos when you are done. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Hey bells just went off in the old gray matter. Think of a giant photo quilt. Each square containing a portion of the overall photo. You can see a little overlap with each square to make it right without any white showing when stitched together.... Now ain't that cool for and old mind to figure that out.
Yes much clearer explanation! I don't think you're old at all! Now to find a beach or mountain range to shoot...

Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Yes much clearer explanation! I don't think you're old at all! Now to find a beach or mountain range to shoot...
I've got beaches but no mountains. Better do the mountains with stitching. Waves might be a little more of a job on the stitching with them a moving. Not impossible but more tedious. when I get my pana attachment for the camera I'm heading up to the canyon pictured above for a few shots either on the way or the way back from the wild horses up on the east coast.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:19 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Do yourself a favor, and get Autostitch. I consider it to be the best pano stitcher available. You can download it for free here.

AutoStitch

Press the "Download" button at the top of the page, open the attached zip file, and copy the autostitch.exe file to your desktop.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Do yourself a favor, and get Autostitch. I consider it to be the best pano stitcher available. You can download it for free here.

AutoStitch

Press the "Download" button at the top of the page, open the attached zip file, and copy the autostitch.exe file to your desktop.
Thanks! Tried to rep you (and I've spread quite a few around!) but I can't yet. Gotta read the software that came with my Panasonic as it had something on panoramic shots. I just don't know if it is just for printing or if it is stitching/editing.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks for sharing the link kdog.

Just a little add on here. When you stand and look out at a landscape, view the scene with one eye closed. Do an imaginary crop of the top and bottom and you will see the panorama.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 07-23-2008 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 02:02 PM

Just installed ArcSoft Panorama maker software. It came with my camera. It was pretty easy!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:34 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Sounds like a good way to get started.

Another tip would be to shoot manual exposure if you can. That way, all of the shots in the series will have the same exposure which is important for smooth transitions. Dunno how convenient that is with your camera. On my DSLRs, I start out in aperture priority, and spot meter an important focal point in the scene. Then I switch to manual, and use that setting. This assures that my focal point will be exposed perfectly, at the possible expense of other less interesting parts of the scene.

I also prefer to use a narrower lens and take more shots of the scene. The autostitching software doesn't care how many pictures you're stitching. You get greater detail that way and less distortion. If you click on the image I posted earlier in this thread, you'll see what I mean about greater detail. You may have to click on the image a second time to fully expand it in your browser. Actually, here's a link to it if it helps.
http://www.jacara.com/cpg144/albums/...scape/pano.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography