Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 12:42 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this and thought I'd ask the experts before I attempt it...don't wanna wait till I have the opportunity and then blow it. Someone in the panoramic thread (is it you Nomadicus??) that shoots many shots (like 11 or so) on telephoto and a small aperture opening and use all of them to stitch, the reason being is that resolution will excellent when the shots overlap. Now, if I shoot them in RAW, I don't think my stitcher will read RAW which means I have to first convert all of them in JPEG. If I fine tune them in RAW, do I have to remember all the parameters I use and apply them all the same way in the rest of the shots? This makes sense to me but maybe there's another way? SilkyPix (my RAW editor) has a command that allows me to Copy Parameters, although I have not tried this facility. Logic tells me I should copy all the parameters (all the adjustments I made to WB, NR, etc. etc.) and paste them on all, otherwise, the result would be wonky right? Does Auto Stitch process RAW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 02:31 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
I shoot panos with my 100-400mm zoom, in RAW, and use Autostitch, so that may have been me. Autostitch doesn't handle RAW. I wish it did. Meter your camera on a point of interest in your shot, switch to manual exposure, and take your sequence of shots all at the same exposure. Then, as you suspected, use exactly the same RAW conversion parameters for the sequence and save as high quality jpegs. There's no point of course in tweaking the jpegs after the conversion, but before the stitching, because it's much easier to do any jpeg adjustments once they're assembled into the pano.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:38 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
kdog said it all, nothing for me to add. Just takes practice. With care you can build a 24x60 sofa mural. Just be sure to shoot from a tripod and when the wind does not mess with the splice lines.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:51 PM

Thanks kdog and Nomadicus. I just realized that my stitcher can read RAW and apply some edits while in RAW but nothing like the RAW editor can do. So when I finally get it stitched, how do I get this printed? I'm not sure the Walmarts and Walgreens of the world are able to print panos. I've checked out the roll paper but I'm not sure I want to spend for a whole roll when I only have one to print. Any suggestions on how to get these printed?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
What kind of printer do you have at home? Epson sells 8x22 inch sheets. Those are approx dimensions. Walgreens may have an online pano print available. If you are near a store it will not hurt to ask. For the larger most likely you'll need a printing center. I'm not sure what Staples is printing now. I now they can print 24x36 so that means you could do a 12x36 pano. As large as your city is there should be a shop that can print for you. When you get a final size let me know. I may can find a place local for you. Have my ways of digging info up like this. My large format printer supplier may have a customer in your area that I could refer you to.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
What kind of printer do you have at home? Epson sells 8x22 inch sheets. Those are approx dimensions. Walgreens may have an online pano print available. If you are near a store it will not hurt to ask. For the larger most likely you'll need a printing center. I'm not sure what Staples is printing now. I now they can print 24x36 so that means you could do a 12x36 pano. As large as your city is there should be a shop that can print for you. When you get a final size let me know. I may can find a place local for you. Have my ways of digging info up like this. My large format printer supplier may have a customer in your area that I could refer you to.
You're a sweetie as always...I have an HP and 2 different Canons (my photo printer is the Canon Pixma 4000 and hubby has one of the newer MP's). The HP is my remote printer, but not usually what I would use for photos. I'll go check out the Walmart site as well as OfficeMax and see what they have. First I need a shot, and lately, I've not been going out much. I missed my chance in Black Mountain earlier on, and at Virginia Beach since I don't have this camera yet. Too bad I'm not in the northeast now, since the fall would have been breathtaking with the changing of the leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography