Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM

714 posts, read 2,309,377 times

Advertisements

I am going to be doing a cycling event next year for Team in Training to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma society, and I've been brainstorming ideas for fundraising for a little while.

One of my ideas, aside from putting up the usual fundraising page and sending out letters, is to sell some of my photographs for a minimum donation.

My plan (as it currently stands) is to have a selection of my best photos printed professionally (probably with WHCC or a similar outfit), and then to sign them and either archive matte/frame them, or sell prints without the matte and frame.

My question comes around this: I know “etsy” exists to sell crafts and arts by jewelers, but are there any other sites out there where I could put up “storefront” that is more conducive to raising funds? I’m also trying to think through the ins and outs of everything: how to best ship framed and unframed prints, etc.

I’m also trying to decide what I should do about actually selling the photos. Ideally I would have a print available for a “minimum donation” and when the person added that print to their cart, it would either check them out (allowing them to add money, if they wanted to donate more) or perhaps somehow redirect them to my official TnT fundraising page. I don’t have access to the tools yet to set up a fundraising page there so I’m not sure if I can integrate with that at all.

Has anyone here sold their photography as a source for fundraising before? I was also thinking about (offline) hosting a small party/auction and doing something similar.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,826,961 times
diertac, that is certainly a wonderful idea that you have. I have often thought of making notecards or something out of some of my photos and trying to sell them with a percentage of the profits going to charity but have yet to do anything about it. I have, however, been volunteering through the Greenville Newcomers Club and assisting our local office of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society with their many mass mailings and preparations for their runs. Just worked on a Team In Training mailing for a February race in Myrtle Beach, in fact.

Will be interested to see others' comments on this matter. In the meantime, all the best to you with this project!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,709,955 times
I have donated photos before to people for auctions before to help raise money for people. But haven't sold any to them or for them to donate funds

Old 11-23-2008, 06:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,261,489 times
If you'll be mailing them, I'd recommend against frames. If you use glass in the frames it's likely to break about as often as not, ruining the photo and frame. (I know this from personal experience.) Mounting the photos to acid-free board and matting them could be a $10-$20 option.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 AM

714 posts, read 2,309,377 times
Thanks for the advice everyone. I hadn't thought about mailing with glass in the frames (and its inherent issues).

I'm still trying to figure some of this out. Any ideas for sites I could use to sell/auction the photos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography