Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:13 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,397 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a program that I can save pictures to a DVD with or without music so that my non computer family can view the pictures at home on their DVD player.

I have Corel Paint Shop Pro X2
and I have the free version of Picasa3
but neither will let you save to DVD.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 06:30 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,567,054 times
I use Windows Movie Maker made for XP, very easy to use. You can mix videos and pictures, add two layers of sound, titles, special effects, transitions, etc, etc.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
I use Windows Movie Maker with Vista and make DVDs all the time, you don't have to use music to display pictures. Although, I find that a light jazz track or two sets a nice tone for the images instead of playing a silent DVD. With WMM, you have the ability to fade one picture to another, and well as a nice over-lay you can control (slight or heavy merging pics together). WMM is a good program, never have I had it "freeze up" on me. HTH.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,397 times
thanks, I have Windows Movie Maker on my computer (forgot about it, it was in the file unused desktop link thingy's). I will be putting music to the pictures, that makes it allot better
thanks again (guess I need to chew up an aspirin now since I forgot about this program and had it on my computer)

Old 09-20-2009, 10:22 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Windows Movie Maker is OK, as long as the total length of the movie is not that long (about 5 minutes) and does not have too many titles or subtitles. Then it starts to *hang up*.
If you *google* this phenomenon, you'll find that it is the most complained about shortcoming.

I have since then used *Wondershare Movie Story*.
Very similar to WMM but it never hung up on me.

HTH

Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
Rach, since irman mentioned (of which I didn't post a few things ), I had always made it a habit of gathering all the photos I want to use for a WMM DVD into it's own folder, saved to the desktop prior to beginning WMM's import, with this, never have I had hang-ups. And I always saved as I went along, no problems. I never used wondershare, so which ever you choose, hope it works out. Please update as to what is better/easier.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:23 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
never have I had hang-ups. And I always saved as I went along, no problems.
I think, WMM is OK !
Just as long as you do NOT make it too long, as I stated before.
It may be the machine I am using that makes it *problematic*.

When I used WMM, I did only pictures, and no problems then.
Then I started to add music, narration, menus, subtitles, and what not more.
This is when it started to *hang up* on me.
I did find out, by process of elimination that the addition of all the *effects* added to the complexity of the whole thing which WMM aparently can not handle when the *file* gets too long.
I do not have a limit to advice, but it did do that for me.

So use WMM, and see if it works for you.
It is fairly easy to use, and does an OK job, but you can *help* your computer by:
1 - disconnect from the internet
2 - stop any other process you have going on like
--- a - virus programmes (you are not connected to the internet)
--- b - printing processes, etc
--- (just look on the right hand bottom of your screen and
----see what is all running).
3 - do not *pre-view* when you compile the file for assembly into a DVD capable disk that is usable on ANY DVD player.

LBNL, since the OP did not realise the programme was there, make sure you have the latest version.
I strongly advice also to *google* for WMM, and look up the tutorials available.

Sadly, Wondershare is NOT *free* !!! but ...
I do not have any problems now, and my *shows* are up to 30 minutes long, when movies and stills are combined, including three tracks of sounds added (original sounds, narration and background music, plus the *in between* transitions, video effects, titles and menus).

When you add pictures, they are probably all made digitally, and you can check for sequence, by *peeking* at the embedded data that each picture has.
Very useful unless you do not care what sequence you show the pictures at.

Just as a *tip*. When you have a lot of pics of kids (especially yours when they are young or when they are your grandkids), do not forget to take movies with your digital camera. They are not superduper quality, but they make a wonderful memory. When you do take movies, do not make them too short and keep that camera as still as possible. The last thing you want is to get *seasick* while you watch movies. Leave that zoom alone and use it only before you *shoot*, thus *zoom first, then shoot*.
Something else with digital cameras.
Use the *optical* zoom only for stills.
Do NOT use the digital zoom, which is nothing more than *cropping* ...
which you can do on your computer later.
Take pictures at the largest value you can set your camera at for the best pictures possible. If you take a lot of pics, invest in a larger memory card.

BTW, I just re-read the comment of FEDUP.
HE/she uses Vista with WMM, and I do know that it works better with Vista.
Vista can use another updated WMM.
I am not sure, but maybe FEDUP can elaborate on the recording to DVD subject.
WMM for XP can only record to CD (maximum 650 Mb), I think.
I always used a 3rd party programme to record to DVD.

HTH

Last edited by irman; 09-21-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 03:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
The "defacto" program used for creating DVD sideshows even by a lot of Pros is "Pro Show Gold". It's pay for but not that much.

Photodex - ProShow Gold

For free I've been meaning to test this out but haven't had the chance, the screen shots look promising and you can't beat the price.

DVD slideshow GUI - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com

Old 09-25-2009, 06:05 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The "defacto" program used for creating DVD sideshows even by a lot of Pros is "Pro Show Gold". It's pay for but not that much.

Photodex - ProShow Gold

For free I've been meaning to test this out but haven't had the chance, the screen shots look promising and you can't beat the price.

DVD slideshow GUI - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com
I second Pro Show Gold. It's really easy to use, too. You have a lot of choices as to how you want to save the output. When you save it for a DVD to be played on a TV you can even chose between widescreen and regular format. If I make a DVD slideshow of photos to send to friends, I do one version for PC playback, one for a couple with no computer but a widescreen TV and one executable file to play on my own PC. You can do it with or without music and have a choice of a variety of slide transition styles.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Keep in mind that not every DVD player will play a homemade DVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography