Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 AM

4 posts, read 12,341 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,
I wanted to see if there was anyone out there that could help me and my husband with an issue we are going through. In November of 2010 we hired a contractor to do siding, gutters and soffit and fascia on our home. He was an awesome guy - did wonderful work and we were very pleased. In December he came to us and said that he was one day away from finishing up our gutters and we would be finished. We foolishly gave him the last payment for our job. Needless to say this man disappeared and we have no gutters to show for it. Shame on us for being so trusting.

Anyway - we are at the point that three weeks ago we caught him in a lie regarding the gutters and the money and needless to say he fessed up. He spent our money on other things besides the materials. He is broke and has no money. After a very lengthy and angry conversation my husband and I agreed to give him three additional weeks to make up the money so that we did not have to go to great lengths to sue someone that doesnt have a dime to his name anyway. Now we are finishing up that third week and we will definitely be pressing charges - simply bc no one should get away with stealing thousands of dollars. He is not communicating with us and is obviously lying about the situation again.

We spoke with the Chief of Police and the Magistrate. They advised us that we need to send a certified letter demanding full repayment for the services that were not complete (we are well aware that we will not be awarded that full amount in the end since most of the work is done) OR for him to get us our materials within TEN days or we would be filing a civil suit. The Chief of police will also be filing theft charges at that time.

Does anyone have ANY advice for us on how we can word this letter properly to this man. I do not want ANY room for error on this. Unfortunately, the money that was stolen from us was money that we got from our November 2010 wedding and it has been such a crazy experience. Can anyone advise us?

Thank you in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Honestly, it would be best if you found a qualified attorney to craft this document. Surely if anyone on this message board has a legal degree they will chime in. If that letter comes from an attorney it hold more weight than if you send it yourself. The more names in the legal office's name the more intimidating the letter will appear. :-)

Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
I'm curious--Does this guy have a PA Home Improvement Contractor Registration number?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 AM

145 posts, read 283,665 times
Some ideas to get you started:
Demand Letters: The Basics - Free Legal Information - Nolo (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-30105.html - broken link)

Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Not sure how much luck the will have filing criminal charges. Usually, once they do some work it becomes a civil matter. Occasionally, the magistrate will help you scare the contractor into paying.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 12,341 times
Thank you all so much for your insight. We actually crafted a letter with an attorney. It was really perfect and gave all of the details. We did not hear from the contractor in the 10 day deadline so we will be filing a civil suit against him.

We are just beside ourselves that our garage is FULL of his tools. We can't park in our two car garage or anything - it is very very difficult to deal with this right now but we will manage.

I appreciate everyones help!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
Use the tools as collateral. He can have them back when he repays you or finishes the work. If he don't, sell them off on Craigslist or Ebay for some money. Being he left them there is his own problem, you didn't steal them.

My dad did that MANY years back to a contractor that did the same thing to us

Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,519 times
Can you file a report with BBB, or Angie's list to warn others?

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
He's a contractor, and his tools have been in your garage since December? That would explain why he doesn't have any money...

How about that registration number I asked about earlier?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
.... so we will be filing a civil suit against him.
Do it. They will find him guilty and order him to pay. But there is nothing forcing him to pay. Then you will place a lien against him. But if he owns nothing free and clear then the lien will never get paid but will show up on his credit report. As to his tools start charging a daily storage fee. You're looking at numerous months of aggravation. In the end you will hire someone else and chalk it up to experience. Never pay a contractor up front and always have a contract.

Alternative is to buy gutters from his distributor and pay the distributor directly and have him install them. At the end of the job, sue him for the cost second set of gutters or have him sign over his tools and other personal property to cover the additional loss which you will sell for the cost of the gutters. It all depends on your pride and how much you are willing to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh