Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 AM

25 posts, read 180,626 times

Advertisements

I am a current Verizion user, but now with them doing away with their unlimited data on July 7th, I have been looking at Sprint as a possible provider move. I am having troubles finding any real data on the coverage other than Sprint says they have 4g and coverage in the area. Has anyone have any recent experiences? Preferably using Android smart phones?

I don't seem to have any real issues with Verizon downtown at work, but I like the phones and plans on Sprint, only problem is that it's a big jump to even test Sprint since I remember the days when they were kind of sketchy coverage wise.

I go between Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Erie areas often, and will be getting a 4g phone.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Sprint IMO is very much on PAR with Verizon in the Pittsburgh METRO as far a coverage....I know I've had both, and both are worlds above AT&T (says a relative that went from AT&T to Sprint for the Evo). Sprint is suppose to be getting the iPhone this next release, so I hope it doesn't crash the Network the way AT&T's has.

Currently Sprint gives you Unlimited Everything for one simple price, which I love over the 2$ for this 5$ for that Ala Carte Pricing of Verizon.

I haven't used 4G on any Road Trips outside of going from NYC to Philly...But I have used it in Pittsburgh and while single strength does flex a lot, I haven't ever been without a 4G connection on my Epic 4G in the Burgh.

I would rate coverage

1/2 Verizon/Sprint
3 AT&T
4 Tmobile/Cricket

Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
I have Sprint and it is fine. I don't have the latest 4g phone. However, my 3g blackberry is slow.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have Sprint and it is fine. I don't have the latest 4g phone. However, my 3g blackberry is slow.
Blackberrys period are slow with Data....and the Web Browsers are GARBAGE!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Blackberrys PERIOD are garbage lol. There's a good reason why nobody is buying them anymore.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

My wife and I got phones at the same time. I wanted one of the Droids. She had to have a keypad so she wanted a Blackberry. Anyway, I felt guilty paying more for a phone than she did so I got the Blackberry too. My mistake.

Does the droid realy surf the web that much faster?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 AM

Yes it does and its full HTML web browsing, not that mobile crap that BBs can only render.. You should've got her the Epic......I love this thing, its like carrying the Internet around in your pocket..

Only the top of line Droids (EVOs, Epics, Nexus, Moto Photon) are worth it....Those Free/50$ droids are garbage...imo

Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
I had Sprint--I only switched because Verizon got the iPhone. I would easily go back to Sprint if they end up with the iPhone. Their service was fine and you definitely get more for your money with Sprint versus Verizon.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:22 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Verizon isn't getting rid of unlimited data for customers who already have it and 2 gigs of data really is a lot of data. I'm on a family plan and I think we use a lot of data but at the end of the month we are still 1 G below the new 2 G plan. I have a Droid Incredible and it's a great phone for everything.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Verizon isn't getting rid of unlimited data for customers who already have it and 2 gigs of data really is a lot of data. I'm on a family plan and I think we use a lot of data but at the end of the month we are still 1 G below the new 2 G plan. I have a Droid Incredible and it's a great phone for everything.
2 GB is not a lot for these Super "4G" Phones they'll blow thru that by mid-month. the new iPhone 5 will probably be just as bad...

Verizon is really taking their customers to the wood-shed

Verizon's new data plans broken down in complete detail | Android Central
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh