Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,214 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22yr old, single mother. A younger community would be nice.
I'm looking for a neighborhood for a toddler, where I could ideally find a daycare, park and grocery store within a mile. Close vicinity to a hospital/medical center would be excellent as I'm nurse.
Carfree compatible area would be best, but I'm willing to compromise.
I don't mind if the space itself is smaller, but multiple rooms are necessary. Light is a plus and I'm not sure I could swing a basement apt. I prefer individual buildings opposed to giant complexes. Though, I'd be willing to trade for a complex that has super amenities.

Need:
2 bedroom
1 bath
Lead free building

Want:
Den/3rd bedroom
Gas
2 story
Everything included

Budget:
$750

I'm probably going to look into find a realtor to find the apartments, but I would like to have a general area to direct them to.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 05:41 PM

377 posts, read 652,244 times
Hi there! I am single mom as well. I would suggest Dormont area for you to rent in. I think you should be able to find a 2 bedroom there in your price range. It is very walkable. I think you could be car free. The T goes to Dormont. There are a lot of younger people in that area right now. There are playgrounds, tennis courts, and a swimming pool as well.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Bellevue has a lot of rentals, and is certainly walkable for groceries with 2 supermarkets and has a fairly large young population. Suburban General is in Bellevue, AGH, Ohio Valley and Sewickley Valley are just a short trip away.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runwithgail View Post
I'm a 22yr old, single mother. A younger community would be nice.
You have a nice budget. Check out Aspinwall. There is St. Margarets UPMC right there, a grocery store and a nice little park for you little one to play. Also, it is a safe area and laid back.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
This isn't as simple as some think. The reason for this is that daycare prices vary wildly. So, you gotta consider the cost of daycare when you are looking at apartments.

Last edited by robrobrob; 08-22-2011 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runwithgail View Post

I'm probably going to look into find a realtor to find the apartments, but I would like to have a general area to direct them to.

Thoughts?
Renting is an odd thing in our region. Very few realtors focus on rentals. If you would look at the multilist for rentals, some are there, but usually just high end stuff. There are little realty companies that focus more on rentals. Have a look at Craigslist and see who is advertising more. If you want Aspinwall or that region, have a look at what Fox Chapel Real Estate has. Harold focuses on rentals and will no doubt have something.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
This isn't as simple as some think. The reason for this is that daycare prices vary wildly. So, you gotta consider the cost of daycare when you are looking at apartments.

My daughter is in daycare. You bring up a good point there. I work in Wexford but my daughter goes to daycare in West View. It is $400 less a month in West View for a center I believe is better quality than the HUGE one I saw in Wexford.

I still think Dormont would be a good fit. Bellevue would be too--daycare prices would be most likely be close to what I pay in West View which isn't too bad.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,214 times
Thank you for the responses, I've been doing a bit of research into the areas.

I've started considering what it would take to do a down payment and mortgage. Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 PM

Good luck with whatever you decide. I own it just made more sense for me financially. Don't forget to take taxes into consideration if you go that route. Best of luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:01 PM

128 posts, read 201,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
Good luck with whatever you decide. I own it just made more sense for me financially. Don't forget to take taxes into consideration if you go that route. Best of luck!
This caught me when I was looking at home prices in the area and was thinking that everything was really darned cheap. Property taxes here are absurdly high - hundreds a month high. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh