Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,510 times

Advertisements

I'll be traveling to Pittsburgh in December for at least a couple of months and will need a rental car most of this time period.. I'll be flying into the main airport.
If it were just a week or two, I'd just rent at the airport...which I may ultimately do anyway. I'm posting here to check if anyone has researched this question and knows the various options and costs. My understanding is that airport car rentals are most costly due to extra taxes/fees but I'm not sure.
I was also considering trying rent-a-wreck. I don't care what the vehicle looks like, my main concern is cost due to the length of time I'll need a car. Heck, I may end up better off purchasing an old clunker.
Also, since I'll be traveling from overseas, my car insurance won't cover me in the states so I'll have to purchase liability insurance. I'll use my VISA which will cover the collision portion. Anyone have any idea if rental car insurance can be purchased from companies like Geico?
Any information or suggestion is welcomed, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 12:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
That's a few tricky things there. First, when coming from overseas it isn't a bad idea to check your home country web site of the major rental agencies like Hertz, Avis, etc. From reading about others' experiences I have inferred that sometimes they package up better rates that include insurance for you, knowing that your current insurance doesn't cover you here. Also there can be third-party travel operators that do the same thing. Now whether they can get you a rental for a couple months, I don't know.

If you think you'll need a car only sparingly, and will be staying somewhere within the city, it's possible that Zipcar would work for you. I don't know their policies on having members who are from overseas, but this is designed essentially for those with no car and thus they have hourly and daily rates that include all insurance. This would save you a lot of money if, for example, you only need a car on weekends or such. For that matter, you could just do multiple short rentals from a regular agency on weekends as well if that works for you.

The airport does have certain taxes and fees that aren't collected at other locations. So yes, you might save some by choosing a non-airport office to pick up the car. If you're going to be far and wide around the Pittsburgh area, you'll save an additional $2 per day tax if you rent from an office outside Allegheny County. This is probably impractical, though.

Hertz has monthly rates, and perhaps the other agencies do as well. If you don't find something inclusive of insurance, I'm not really sure what would be the best route. I suspect you would be better off looking for a product from home that can cover you while abroad as opposed to counting on being able to buy some kind of insurance here, apart from what the rental companies sell.

If you're getting into several months, then you could look into buying a car I guess, but there's a fair amount of red tape with that, so if it's something like 3-4 months or less I think you're probably better off avoiding. I don't think I'd buy a car unless I was into like about 6 months at least.

Hope that helps a little, please ask if you have more questions.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,510 times
Greg, thanks so much for taking the time to help me out, appreciate it. WL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh