Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 PM

71 posts, read 192,165 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

I saw this thread over on the Cincinnati forum and thought, since I grew up in Pittsburgh, that I would start this over here.

So, what smells do you remember from your childhood. As for me, growing up in the 80s, this is what I smelled:

First, and foremost, sulphur from the "still mills". I can remember being outside with my mom and her saying "The pollution sure is bad tonight." We were so matter of fact about it, it never really occurred to us that it might be bad.

Next, is kielbasa. I grew up in a Polish neighborhood in Port Vue and Sunday dinner meant going to somebody's house after Mass (it seemed everyone was Catholic in those days) and having kielbasa, cabbage, halushki, and other yummies.

Then, there is the smell of leaves, especially in White Oak park; to this day when I smell autumn leaves, I am taken back there.

And let us not forget the bakeries! Danishes filled with lekvar, and apricot, or cream cheese...my dad would take me into the bakery early on a Sunday and we'd get a dozen danishes...ah, how I miss those danishes. They just don't have them here in cincy.

So, what about you? Any aromatic memories out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 09:51 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,233,296 times
I remember going by the old Nabisco plant in East Liberty when they were baking Nilla Wafers. That whole part of the East End had the smell that a giant vanilla cookie Yankee Candle was burning.
Leaf burning is no longer allowed in Allegheny County, but it was when I was a kid. When I go out of county in the autumn, I sometimes get that smell, which brings back memories.
I used to go over to my Italian grandmothers about one Sunday every few months for dinner. Upon entering her Stanton Height's home was the aroma of a big pot of homeade tomato sauce, and garlic and olive oil. I sometimes make this sauce on cold and dreary Sundays and it emits a wonderful smell throughout the house.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,923 times
Quote:
I remember going by the old Nabisco plant in East Liberty when they were baking Nilla Wafers.
That's the absolute first one on my list, but I connect it with baseball, because we played both organized little league and pick up games on the fields at Mellon Park. Later, in my twenties, we played softball at a couple of the fields within smelling distance of the Iron City brewery.

Leaves and burning leaves, yes to those also.

Also, I have a very dis-stinked memory of the rendering plant on Herr's Island. (Washington's Landing) Crossing the 31st St Bridge going somewhere in the car with my uncle, it was like, "Ewwww! What's that smell?" He explained what it was, and fortunately, by the time he had it explained we were well up the road. I was there on the island years later, when they were demo'ing that plant, and it still stunk...

Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 AM

11 posts, read 22,883 times
how bout the smell of baking bread from braun's bakery down in manchester. I went school at st. andrews. Or alcsan pweeeh! I was in a car going to play a softball game when my son said Oh whats that smell and before I could think of something my buddy who was driving said brunt poop Ray

Old 10-23-2011, 08:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
The very first on my list is the 'rotten egg' smell of the Armstrong Cork Works in Beaver Falls. Our high school played football at Geneva College's Reeves Stadium right next to the cork works. One night, I was walking through the stands on "the other side" selling candy, when the cork works let out some exhaust. Someone asked me, "Does Beaver Falls always smell this bad"? Being my witty self, I responded, "Only when (insert name of team) comes to town".

Next would be burning leaves. I know it's bad to do, but they smell wonderful!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,836,769 times
I didn't grow up in Pittsburgh, I grew up in Youngstown and New Castle areas. I remember the smell of all the metals industry. There was always a bit of sulfur wafting in the breezes. lol. Always.

I also can recall the smell of antique cars (they still smell the same, btw) and also the smell of unleaded gasoline.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,382,488 times
Driving by Mancini's Bakery in McKees Rocks. That bread smell was fantastic. Still love the bread when it is fresh and hot -- hard to come by though. Also the smell of my Grandma's homemade pizza with sauteed green peppers. The aboslute best ever.

Also the smell of leaves in Pennsylvania -- that is my "go to" smell of happiness on a sunny October day.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 PM

59 posts, read 129,831 times
One of my former bosses grew up on Frazier Street in Oakland in the 60s-70s. When he would reminisce about growing up, he almost always mentioned odd snow colors.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,360,444 times
Coke Plant.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 AM

461 posts, read 749,171 times
The smell of Wonderbread on the Northside, when we went to visit our Gram.

And while it isn't a smell, we grew up on a candy called sens-sens - NOT the version that they still sell today in little packets. My Mum and I still talk dreamily about them since they were such a delicious, odd flavor.

e
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh