Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM

47 posts, read 75,130 times

Advertisements

This may be more of a general real estate question, but I'm noticing it quite a bit in greenfield. I've currently been looking at houses in the east end ish area and love greenfield for its proximity to everything. From what I've read, it seems like a decent place to live. One thing I've noticed is how the house prices fluctuate wildly even on the same street or nearby streets. I see sub 100K and mid 100K houses scattered throughout.Is there a reason for this? Some houses are just more updated? Is buying a 160K house just going to have its value dragged down by the rest of the areas prices? Or am I just insane for contemplating a 160K house in greenfield in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
Some of it may be sellers being ambitious with pricing, but there is also widely varying condition.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantthinkofanick View Post
This may be more of a general real estate question, but I'm noticing it quite a bit in greenfield. I've currently been looking at houses in the east end ish area and love greenfield for its proximity to everything. From what I've read, it seems like a decent place to live. One thing I've noticed is how the house prices fluctuate wildly even on the same street or nearby streets. I see sub 100K and mid 100K houses scattered throughout.Is there a reason for this? Some houses are just more updated? Is buying a 160K house just going to have its value dragged down by the rest of the areas prices? Or am I just insane for contemplating a 160K house in greenfield in general?
1. Don't overpay for a home.
2. Look at all those homes to compare them. Go inside them, if they are for sale and find out if the seller is justified in the price. Maybe there is a powder room and master bath, or finished basements or who knows what is done inside. Really nice kitchens are a big ticket item.
3. Sellers can ask whatever they want. Asking prices mean very little. Occasionally some outside buyer will buy a home that is WAY overpriced and then people in that area feel that is the new normal asking price point for the area. Then they list their homes for that wild price and they sit for years.

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
A lot of sellers base the asking price on the money they put into the home, or what they think its worth- not on the reality of the market place.

When I was shopping for a home 6 years ago, I made a bid on a property that had been on the market for 18 months. I proposed about 10% off the list price, but the seller was adament that they had to have every dime for the vacant house. So I didn't buy it.

They ended up selling to someone else for $2500 less than I bid, 8 months later.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,647 times
Greenfield has mixed inventory. Some updated houses, some run down houses and a lot in the middle. Also the square footage and amenities vary greatly.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,888 times
This isn't unique to Greenfield, any older neighborhood will have quite a bit of variation in prices some for legitimate reasons (such as size and condition of home), some from intentional or unintentional bad pricing, and some from how bad the sellers wants to sell the home.

As always, best to look at what homes have actually sold for than what they are listed for. No one regulates how much you can list a house for, but the free market dictates what they actually sell for. A good real estate agent will help, but you should do your own research too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh