Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:49 AM

645 posts, read 1,538,696 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Trying to figure out what I need to do to get my out of state vehicles registered in PA, but have been told I need a VIN verification? Is this true, and what/how do I do this and how much $$$ is this procedure?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 AM

85 posts, read 308,371 times
Yes, you do need a VIN verification. Its about $35ish (if I remember correctly), and I got it done at a local dealership.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 AM

357 posts, read 888,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibhar View Post
Yes, you do need a VIN verification. Its about $35ish (if I remember correctly), and I got it done at a local dealership.
You can also get an authorized mechanic at a service station (e.g. one that does inspections) to do it. We did that (plus the PA state inspection) back in 2004 and I don't think they charged extra for the VIN verification (considered it part of the inspection).

If you can reach the VIN, you can use a pencil and trace it yourself.

If I remember correctly there was one gotcha... the service station wanted PA plates to do the inspection. So we had to go to the service station to verify the VIN, then to AAA to get the PA plates, and the back to the service station for the actual inspection. The extra trip was annoying. I found the whole PA VIN tracing law pointless and a waste of my time.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:50 AM

85 posts, read 308,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post

If I remember correctly there was one gotcha... the service station wanted PA plates to do the inspection. So we had to go to the service station to verify the VIN, then to AAA to get the PA plates, and the back to the service station for the actual inspection. The extra trip was annoying. I found the whole PA VIN tracing law pointless and a waste of my time.
So true, I hated the whole process of registering a car in PA. It wasn't fun at all.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 AM

645 posts, read 1,538,696 times
Thanks everyone!

Now a follow-up. When we went to get licenses today, we were given directions that lead us to a AAA. I thought the guy made a mistake, but AAA is where you can get the registration done??? I don't understand how a privately run company is the only place to get a state mandated BMV service done, especially since I am not a member of AAA. I did a search at the PA DMV/BMV website, and it does list AAA and not much else for my area... WTFark?

This crap is getting old real quick, and I guess since I left 20 years ago that I either forgot how bad is was or that it has gotten much worse? Cost is not the issue, as I used to have to pay yearly excise on each vehicle (mega $$$), it's simply the hassle, and complete lack of agreement amongst divisions, and outright errors at the BMV website.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:47 AM

357 posts, read 888,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
Now a follow-up. When we went to get licenses today, we were given directions that lead us to a AAA. I thought the guy made a mistake, but AAA is where you can get the registration done??? I don't understand how a privately run company is the only place to get a state mandated BMV service done, especially since I am not a member of AAA. I did a search at the PA DMV/BMV website, and it does list AAA and not much else for my area... WTFark?

This crap is getting old real quick, and I guess since I left 20 years ago that I either forgot how bad is was or that it has gotten much worse? Cost is not the issue, as I used to have to pay yearly excise on each vehicle (mega $$$), it's simply the hassle, and complete lack of agreement amongst divisions, and outright errors at the BMV website.

Thanks.
I believe the license plate function was "privatized" by the state, thus the AAA. The other odd thing is that the drivers license function has been separated from the license plate/registration function so you have to go to two different shops in order to convert your residence and vehicles from another state to PA.

Its definitely a hassle, but since you only have to do it once none of the PA politicians who created this mess seem motivated to clean it up. I consider it part of the government "Welcome to PA" package for new residents, along with the automatic School District Property Tax Assessments Appeals that you get when you buy a house in Allegheny County.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:01 PM

165 posts, read 662,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
I believe the license plate function was "privatized" by the state, thus the AAA. The other odd thing is that the drivers license function has been separated from the license plate/registration function so you have to go to two different shops in order to convert your residence and vehicles from another state to PA.

Its definitely a hassle, but since you only have to do it once none of the PA politicians who created this mess seem motivated to clean it up. I consider it part of the government "Welcome to PA" package for new residents, along with the automatic School District Property Tax Assessments Appeals that you get when you buy a house in Allegheny County.
AH Hah, someone else who is going through the same crap we are! We have been to AAA about 6 times now because our lovely state farm insurance agent told us they could do everything for us there, what a joke that was. We finally got our PA drivers license's today and both left in utter shock that we were actually able to accomplish something. I went to a AAA mechanic on Baum blvd and I wasn't charged anything for the VIN Inspection. Good luck to you, this is the fourth state I have lived in and the only one that has such a ridiculous licensing process.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:40 PM

70 posts, read 335,970 times
scrapp is correct. You have to go to two different places to get: a) Driver Services done by State and b) Vehicle Services done by private companies.

This PA DOT link will help you locate the Driver License centers and the messenger services (private companies) in the desired area.

https://www.dot3.state.pa.us/locator...80812174845133

Enter your location. Scroll down and place check in this check box for DLC:

- New Resident Drivers License / Transfer

Repeat the process and place check on these check boxes for MS:

- Basic Vehicle Record

- Vehicle Registration Address Change

EDIT: more info here: http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/new_resi..._vehicle.shtml

Last edited by FlyByNightRat; 08-12-2008 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 05:17 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,022 times
I hear you loud and clear. My husband laughed as I read this post to him as we experienced the same hassle last year when we moved here. And to add to the insanity, the DMV center would not take his military ID as a 2nd valid form of identification but they would take a social security card--which he had not needed for years and had misplaced probably 25 years ago. But he could get a new social security card using his military ID. It was a crazy headache.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 PM

105 posts, read 366,578 times
Yes, PA has separated the two functions and basically privatized the vehicle stuff (for the initial registration--once you have your plates, you'll do your yearly renewal through the mail or on-line directly with PENNDOT). However, some places have both a "messenger" service for license plates and a Driver's License/Photo center in the same building--AAA East Liberty for example. So you do have to wait in two lines (but in other states you would end up in 2 lines anyway at the DMV to do both things), but you can combine both into one trip. And if I recall correctly, one does not have to be a member of AAA to use the services. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) On the whole, I think this is one form of privatization I support--it allows for a lot more places to do these functions than in the traditional model which might have one or two DMV offices per county.

(In the case of AAA, I think the Driver License staff are state employees and the state office is renting space from AAA, while the people who do the vehicle stuff are AAA employees.)

As for the identification business, I wouldn't blame PA too much for this. I think this is a national crackdown and some of the annoyances (like demanding to see a social security card) may be federal mandates. If you last got a drivers license in another state before circa 2003 and you are comparing your experience there to PA in 2008, you may be comparing apples and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh