Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,236,666 times

Advertisements

Here is a recent study from the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership. The study claims that the area in and around the Golden Triangle is in the midst of a "boom" with over 4 billion in recent, current, and planned construction. This study is in PDF form.

http://www.downtownpittsburgh.com/_f...rt_low_res.pdf

Last edited by nuwaver88; 04-26-2012 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
Thank you for posting this. I've already shared this via my Facebook profile to encourage more of my friends to experience all that Downtown Pittsburgh has to offer. I live within walking distance of the Golden Triangle (just outside of the "Near Strip"), and I truly do feel as our urban core is rapidly improving. Market Square especially is a spot I love to frequent. I hope the proliferation of apartments and condos Downtown continues to accelerate to meet the growing demand for housing here.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you for posting this. I've already shared this via my Facebook profile to encourage more of my friends to experience all that Downtown Pittsburgh has to offer. I live within walking distance of the Golden Triangle (just outside of the "Near Strip"), and I truly do feel as our urban core is rapidly improving. Market Square especially is a spot I love to frequent. I hope the proliferation of apartments and condos Downtown continues to accelerate to meet the growing demand for housing here.
I haven't been in Market Square too many times during the day since they renovated it in 2010 and I was amazed at how much more bustling it was down there compared to the pre renovation Market Square.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,047,206 times
Yeah, the Market Square renovations have been a HUGE success. Good timing, I suppose, but also a smart design.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,831,513 times
There's an article today behind the Pittsburgh Business Times paywall about efforts to expand Downtown to adjacent areas. As our Downtown is a mere 0.68 miles and almost entirely built-out, I fully support this vision.

Pittsburgh's Downtown taking new shape - Pittsburgh Business Times

Quote:
Pittsburgh's Downtown taking new shape

Pittsburgh Business Times by Tim Schooley, Reporter
Date: Friday, April 27, 2012, 6:00am EDT

The push is on to expand downtown Pittsburgh.

An initiative put forth by the city and a host of development companies to develop three major parcels on the edges of what’s known as the Golden Triangle could enlarge the area by as much as a third in coming years.

“This is really an opportunity to expand the Golden Triangle in a significant way,” Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said. “When people think of downtown now, they often think of a place that’s kind of built out. But we want to change that.”

Those three sites are:

• Fifty-seven acres of land along ...

Old 04-27-2012, 07:11 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yeah, the Market Square renovations have been a HUGE success. Good timing, I suppose, but also a smart design.
I wish it was closed to car traffic. It is a very nice place though and I really enjoy being there. I can't wait for Point Park to be finished.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,047,206 times
There are still a few prominent development sites available in the Golden Triangle, but I agree it makes ample sense to try to expand the Downtown CBD more explicitly into bordering areas.

And although I have frequently criticized the routing of the NSC, one thing it should be good for is helping to integrate the available North Shore development areas into this Greater Downtown concept. Unfortunately, the Steelers would seem to prefer a Greater Heinz Field to a Greater Downtown.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 AM

632 posts, read 1,072,055 times
This is a really cool read.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,905,845 times
I want to hear about Downtown Pittsburgh 2013 when there's no Transit. Suddenly a once Hot up&coming market starts to Cool very rapidly.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,725,533 times
I actually threw around the idea of moving downtown. I'm typing this from downtown right now. I want to like downtown, but I'm just not finding anything that's personally appealing to me. I mean, on the food side there's crappy chains and overpriced restaurants with mediocre food. Retail is also the same ol' chains you can find in the burbs. Lack of a grocery store is obviously a problem, and the lack of hours for businesses down here has been an issue for years. Also, the old stereotype of downtown being virtually empty after work hours is still true.

My fiance and I work down town so living down here would be perfect for us. But with all the chains and other staleness it would have the same appeal to us as Cranberry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh