Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocndvr View Post
I have interviewed at UPMC, Forbes, Excela Health, and ALLegheny General Hospital in Beaver. If given the opportunity... which is the best place to work? I appreciate any feedback before I make my decision.
It depends on what you are looking for. First Allegheny General is not in Beaver its on the North Side. I did not work there but had clinical there. I worked at UPMC Montefiore and Presby. These hospitals are in Oakland. Never worked at Excela and did work at Forbes Regional in Monroeville.

Allegheny General:
North Side - not the safest area
Have to battle traffic to get there
Parking - expensive
Will get good clinical experience

UPMC Montefiore and Presby:
Located in Oakland,
Safety issues. Just make sure you do not accidentally end up on the hill (not a good thing to do)
In the winter, have fun getting up the hill
Good clinical experience.
Very low pay the last time I heard
Work load too much even dangerous in my opinion
Have to battle traffic
Parking - expensive
I loved Montefiore before UPMC took over but once UPMC took over working there was not for me.
PS, did I say I did not like UPMC?

Forbes Regional in Monroeville
Also worked hard here but liked it MUCH better at Forbes than the other hospitals
Country setting
Less safety issues
Less traffic to deal with
Parking good
Will also get good clinical experience. I am not sure if its a trauma center.

In my opinion, if you are offered a job at Forbes Regional, I would take that job.

I hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocndvr View Post
Sorry about the confusion. I meant to say Allegheny General Hospital-Western Pennsylvania Hospital, known as (Forbes Hospital), Latrobe Area Hospital (run by Excela Health),UPMC St Margaret, Heritage Valley Beaver,

UPMC St. Margarets. You can live very close to the hospital regardless of what your budget is and you would encounter very little traffic on the way to work. The Fox Chapel Area School Distric is economically very diverse. Basically, it has something for just about everybody.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know many, many people in health care... they all would say ANYWHERE but UPMC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
I loved Montefiore before UPMC took over but once UPMC took over working there was not for me.
PS, did I say I did not like UPMC?
I worked for UPMC while in college and was also not a fan. Later on, I knew someone who worked in one of their call centers, and through that experience he became convinced that they are, in fact, the devil, hahaha.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,079 times
You might also get some more specific feedback if you could share the type of position/specialty that you are seeking. I don't recall seeing that in any of your posts (but may have missed it).

Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
I've worked for UPMC for a decade. Putting aside the negative community image, it's not a bad place to work. The benefit to working for such a large organization is that there is always room to move if you get tired of your current position.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,247 times
I loved working at AGH on the North Shore of all my respiratory rotations that was my favorite. I worked in the sleep lab for about a year and stayed with them after graduation til we moved south.

I didn't care for Presby but a friend of mine LOVED it and stayed for 5 yrs til she moved to Va Beach. Shadyside was ok.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:21 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
I got burnt out at upmc presby. After that my job was tougher mentally no matter where I worked :-(

Old 03-18-2012, 07:06 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
You might also get some more specific feedback if you could share the type of position/specialty that you are seeking. I don't recall seeing that in any of your posts (but may have missed it).
I second this. Overall corporate policy/atmosphere is important, but you'll find that perception can change quite a bit within the same company depending on what job you have or what department you're in.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
OP,

I've never known anyone who didn't like working for AGH. Many of my doctors have left UPMC for AGH too.

UPMC employees complain constantly, even to their patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
UPMC St. Margarets. You can live very close to the hospital regardless of what your budget is and you would encounter very little traffic on the way to work. The Fox Chapel Area School Distric is economically very diverse. Basically, it has something for just about everybody.
From an employment standpoint, UPMC is the least desirable though.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 AM

43 posts, read 87,410 times
Default Down to TWO

Well, we decided not to go with Latrobe, so it is now down to Monroeville (Forbes Regional Hospital) and Beaver (Heritage Valley-Beaver). I guess once we decide on the job then we can narrow it down where to live with 3 boys. We will keep everyone posted on our decision. Still not too sure where to live??? with all the taxes???? I guess it all washes in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh