Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

My car is in dire need of new brakes, yet with working two jobs seven days per week I don't often get an opportunity to take my car in to get serviced. This morning I have such an opportunity and attempted to take my car to my usual Meineke in the Strip District, which supposedly was open today, only to find that they weren't. I then drove around the Penn Avenue and Liberty Avenue Corridors through the Strip District and Lower Lawrenceville and couldn't really find any other service venues. I need my vehicle for work tonight, so it's imperative that I can take it somewhere that doesn't require an appointment weeks in advance. I'm looking specifically in an area narrow enough so I can then walk home after dropping my car off for repairs and walk back down to pick it up.

Any suggestions, or am I destined to just drive around on bad brakes for at least another week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
How about Pep Boys at Center and Millvale in Oakland? It's a hike for some but since you're a runner maybe not for you - half hour walk?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:06 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
I generally hate going to, or even recommending national chains like that, but when I had a sudden problem with the power brakes on my truck, in the evening, I went to the Pep Boys out on 60 at Campbells Run, and they worked on it while I sat and waited for a couple of hours.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
How about Pep Boys at Center and Millvale in Oakland? It's a hike for some but since you're a runner maybe not for you - half hour walk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I generally hate going to, or even recommending national chains like that, but when I had a sudden problem with the power brakes on my truck, in the evening, I went to the Pep Boys out on 60 at Campbells Run, and they worked on it while I sat and waited for a couple of hours.
Thank you both! I forgot that Pep Boys even existed! I can walk quickly back to Polish Hill down Melwood Avenue.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:15 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
You're welcome. We've dealt with that Pep Boys before and never had any trouble with them. They're usually responsive, reasonable turn around, and decent work at a fair price. Along the lines of what Ditch said, though, there's a Jiffy Lube further down Baum toward Shadyside that I definitely recommend avoiding. They don't do much with brakes anyway, but for any other service I'd skip them.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
You're welcome. We've dealt with that Pep Boys before and never had any trouble with them. They're usually responsive, reasonable turn around, and decent work at a fair price. Along the lines of what Ditch said, though, there's a Jiffy Lube further down Baum toward Shadyside that I definitely recommend avoiding. They don't do much with brakes anyway, but for any other service I'd skip them.
I just walked back home. They seemed to be very professional. They do seem busy, too, though, but thankfully I've arranged a back-up plan to borrow a friend's vehicle for work tonight in case my vehicle isn't ready to be picked up by 5 PM. I've actually used the Jiffy Lube a bit further down Baum before for their "Signature Service Oil Change", and I must admit I've actually never had a problem with them. Like ditchdigger I'd prefer to use a regular "mom-and-pop" sort of service center, but with my very volatile schedule with the two jobs I don't have the luxury of knowing weeks in advance when I can or can't make appointments with them.

If nothing else I got to see the very worst the city offers in terms of pedestrian accessibility, especially for those who are disabled. I walked down Baum to North Craig and immediately found myself walking in traffic just past the Luna Lofts due to a construction project on a new office building closing the sidewalk. The sidewalk then ended abruptly near an abandoned building, forcing me to cross North Craig and then Bigelow. After literally hopping over several huge mud puddles on this broken stretch of sidewalk I then crossed Blessing Street (opposite the Bloomfield Bridge) and ascended stairs to cross a pedestrian overpass. This overpass was replete with not only litter and graffiti but also protest insignia from those with physical disabilities, including the wheelchair logo with "EQUAL" below it. I then walked down Bigelow on the Polish Hill side past numerous blighted properties until I reached my home on Brereton Street.

It's amazing how this city can be so amazing in so many ways yet fall so short in some of the most basic measures.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I'm not usually a fan of Pep Boys anymore but that was clearly the best option in this case.

The chains are hit or miss. I've been taking my car to a branch of Monro because I've known a couple of the people there for years and they do a good job. But that wouldn't guarantee that another branch would be as good. Although their national promises sound good, it's really only as good as the local management and staff.

It's odd, most Meinekes are open on Saturday. I guess that one in the Strip must have stopped being open, but I wouldn't think it would be due to lack of business....

Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's odd, most Meinekes are open on Saturday. I guess that one in the Strip must have stopped being open, but I wouldn't think it would be due to lack of business....
They have their hours posted on their front window as 8 AM-4 PM on Saturdays, yet when I arrived around 9:30 AM their door was locked and nobody appeared to be around. They seem to be a pretty busy location, and I've had good luck with them in the past. Unfortunately if Pep Boys does a good job on my brakes today then Meineke will have lost my consumer loyalty. It was only about an extra 10-minute walk to Pep Boys for me.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If nothing else I got to see the very worst the city offers in terms of pedestrian accessibility, especially for those who are disabled..
Dude tell me about it. I just had surgery that severely limits my mobility and I can't get ANYWHERE with the condition the sidewalks are in and the topography. Thank goodness I can work from home or I'd be royally screwed.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 PM

I just picked up my vehicle from Pep Boys and was pretty pleased with my overall experience. The overall bill mushroomed to over $800 due to additional work they found that needed to be done (and once they suggested it be done I agreed it would have to be done soon anyways), but they let me split it between a credit card and a debit card, which I appreciated. I also received a handshake after I had paid for their services.

Thanks again for the quick replies! Now I'll be able to get to work on time for 5 PM without worrying about my brakes failing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh