Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,537,666 times

Advertisements

Why are we assuming the landlord paid too much for the house?

Taxes are an expense, all expenses are taken into account when a landlord sets the monthly rent.

If you don't want to pay Mt. Lebanon prices then you can move to Brentwood, for example. Or you can actually curtail your spending, save money for a down payment and buy your own house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,691,990 times
Algia,

Property taxes fund schools, infrastructure, and municipal services, all of which are for the benefit of renters and homeowners alike. The idea that renters should enjoy those services free of cost simply by virtue of the fact that they do not own property and without any consideration of their individual means is terribly misguided. If that were the case, who would ever buy a home?

At the end of the day, landlords purchase properties to rent out with the expectation that their efforts will be rewarded by receiving rents in excess of their costs, including capital costs and taxes. So if you're expecting landlords to forego their primary incentive to offer rental properties (profits) because they have some obligation to shield renters from property taxes (which is a false premise anyway -- see the previous paragraph) then the option to rent and its associated benefits (which DO NOT necessarily include escaping the cost of property taxes) would simply disappear.

Owning property, in and of itself, carries neither a moral obligation nor an economic incentive to pay for renters' children to go to school, for the police to protect their safety, or for their use of public roads. Expecting otherwise is totally unrealistic.

Last edited by ML North; 03-26-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM

439 posts, read 1,475,615 times
I am convinced this has to be a joke.

No one could possibly think this way.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,313,065 times
That's true. Its just for those who love to take advantage of others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
Capitalism, it's not for everyone.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:29 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That's true. Its just for those who love to take advantage of others!
Such as......................................yourself?

People have repeatedly explained that the taxes pay for the various amenities provided to you and your family by the municipality in which you live. Therefore, doesn't it make sense you should shoulder the burden for the bill?

Last edited by Kippy; 03-26-2012 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Spacing

Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM

366 posts, read 944,963 times
Real estate is more complicated than simple retail purchases, but the process of buying/leasing a space and purchasing simple retail goods are similar. The more experience, research, and general knowledge one has of a certain product, the easier it will be to make an informed decision.

If you don't have enough knowledge on the product or don't have time to make an informed purchase, you can hire someone that does. In the case of real estate, request the services of a real estate agent. Many will help with not only with buying but also renting. They have a vested interest in making sure you get a fair deal, because they don't want to tarnish their name.

If you don't make an informed decision, you deserve to be "ripped off / gouged". Finally, in most markets/industries, the owner/seller's cost is not relevant to market price. Many people try and sell their homes based on what they paid or invested in it, and they sit on it for years. Why? Their investment is totally *irrelevant* to the value of the property. It will sell for the market price. The market (buyer and seller) determines market price, not one individual or circumstance.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,313,065 times
No. If I'd buy a house, I wouldn't offer "full asking price" just because. An Investor never does that. Show me one that forks over $200k "just because" the sellers is asking for it! Homeowners also refinance to lower their payments.

RE is negotiable.

You won't get me to agree that is "OK" to pass the cost of property taxes onto the renters. I stand by my original opinion. It is not my taxes...when I'll own a house, I'll pay my own taxes. Not my house, not my taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Such as......................................yourself?
People have repeatedly explained that the taxes pay for the various amenities provided to you and your family by the municipality in which you live. Therefore, doesn't it make sense you should shoulder the burden for the bill?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,993,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
No. If I'd buy a house, I wouldn't offer "full asking price" just because. An Investor never does that. Show me one that forks over $200k "just because" the sellers is asking for it! Homeowners also refinance to lower their payments.

RE is negotiable.

You won't get me to agree that is "OK" to pass the cost of property taxes onto the renters. I stand by my original opinion. It is not my taxes...when I'll own a house, I'll pay my own taxes. Not my house, not my taxes.
So in your world view, why does one even have to pay rent? It's not your house after all.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:44 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,408,764 times
algia,

Can you tell me any company whose clients or customers don't pay their tax? Taxes are built into the companies costs. Those costs are passed onto the customer. If their costs (e.g. taxes) go up, it's passed on to the customer.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,227,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I am convinced this has to be a joke.

No one could possibly think this way.
After reading the latest post by OP I tend to agree with you.

If it's genuine, then I resent someone with such an attitude having $1450 a month to drop on rent in the first place! Passing on property costs to the renter is about as noncontroversial as it gets without being a communist or something, and harping about paying such costs by someone who otherwise seems to benefit from capitalism is a bit hard to swallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh