Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,049,348 times

Advertisements

Commuting by bike with some regularity through the Strip District to Lawrenceville, it becomes clear pretty quickly that as it stands now, the Allegheny riverfront is one of only two large sections of industrial zoning left in the city (the other being in the Northside, on the bank of the Ohio, starting in Chateau and going upward).

It occurs to me that if the Strip/Lawrenceville really do take off as planned, the businesses in these areas will be hard-pressed to remain, given the land will become so much more valuable being utilized for residential or commercial means. Without some planned location to pick up the slack, however, the businesses will probably just relocate out of Pittsburgh entirely, meaning loss of tax revenue for the city that it could otherwise recapture if an attractive industrial locale was built out.

Essentially the large (such as they are) manufacturing/warehousing firms need two things - flat land, and in some cases access to rail. If I were to suggest anywhere that fits these needs, it would probably be portions of Larimer and Homewood - which could be a highly controversial pick for a number of reasons. But if you want to relocate industry off the river, it's got to go somewhere in the East End.

Anyway, thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 AM

9,352 posts, read 13,021,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Commuting by bike with some regularity through the Strip District to Lawrenceville, it becomes clear pretty quickly that as it stands now, the Allegheny riverfront is one of only two large sections of industrial zoning left in the city (the other being in the Northside, on the bank of the Ohio, starting in Chateau and going upward).

It occurs to me that if the Strip/Lawrenceville really do take off as planned, the businesses in these areas will be hard-pressed to remain, given the land will become so much more valuable being utilized for residential or commercial means. Without some planned location to pick up the slack, however, the businesses will probably just relocate out of Pittsburgh entirely, meaning loss of tax revenue for the city that it could otherwise recapture if an attractive industrial locale was built out.

Essentially the large (such as they are) manufacturing/warehousing firms need two things - flat land, and in some cases access to rail. If I were to suggest anywhere that fits these needs, it would probably be portions of Larimer and Homewood - which could be a highly controversial pick for a number of reasons. But if you want to relocate industry off the river, it's got to go somewhere in the East End.

Anyway, thoughts?
That would be a Mellon Arena all over again. Granted, unlike the Hill in the 1950s, Homewood and Larimer aren't currently stable working class enclaves, so I don't think redirecting industry to that area could possibly make the neighborhoods any worse. However, it would still involve displacement of a large number of people.

This plan is based on a bunch of conditions that could take years to happen, or may never happen.

Instead of demolishing an entire neighborhood to construct new headquarters, a better idea would be to refurbish currently-defunct-but-salvageable industrial buildings, while clearing those beyond repair for new construction in, say, Hazelwood. Better yet, why not make it a County-wide initiative? Braddock, Duquesne, McKees Rocks, etc. have a surplus of unused industrial space and could certainly use the business.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times
The Allegheny Riverfront plan involved finding locations for displaced industrial users, including with land swaps. There is the Tippins Steel site (part of the URA's land swap with Buncher), Heppenstall Steel site, the Pitt-Ohio site between 33rd and 35th, various City parcels, and so on.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,569 times
Why would you even want to keep that industry? Property assessments of office/retail/residential are much higher than industrial. Most new industrial developments aren't built without huge exemptions from property taxes. Consequently the taxes collected from industrial sites are lower than office/retail/residential. Most of the work at industrial facilities is mechanized and employment is low. The city collects what - $54 - from each worker? Replace that with residents paying 3% of their income and you're collecting more taxes.

The tax base in Braddock, North Braddock and Clairton is almost entirely industrial. When people moved from those areas - because of an unwillingness to live next to industrial facilities, not because of a lack of jobs as is greatly mis-characterized - they took the office/retail/residential tax base with them. All that was left was the industrial tax base and those areas became some of the poorest municipalities around. Not a good model to emulate.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,682 times
Great points Jimmy ... especially the Braddock fallacy.

However, I think Fairywood would be a good candidate for industrial concentration.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Great points Jimmy ... especially the Braddock fallacy.

However, I think Fairywood would be a good candidate for industrial concentration.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Fairywood seems to be isolated, already looks industrial, and not many people live there.

Outside of the city, there are lots and lots of vacated flat industrial lands along the Monongahela, Ohio, Shenango, Mahoning and Beaver Rivers, so relocating for these companies in another industrial area shouldn't be a problem at all.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That would be a Mellon Arena all over again. Granted, unlike the Hill in the 1950s, Homewood and Larimer aren't currently stable working class enclaves, so I don't think redirecting industry to that area could possibly make the neighborhoods any worse. However, it would still involve displacement of a large number of people.
Hence why I said it would be controversial.

Quote:
This plan is based on a bunch of conditions that could take years to happen, or may never happen.
I think some of it already is happening, but the process could take 20 years or longer to fniish, yes.

Quote:
Better yet, why not make it a County-wide initiative? Braddock, Duquesne, McKees Rocks, etc. have a surplus of unused industrial space and could certainly use the business.
It's possible that relocating remaining large industry to the Mon Valley towns is the best use of zoning. Certainly there are cities in California that are nothing but industrial areas. That said, I think it's something subject to debate, and I also think there's something to be said for keeping industry close enough in that it's accessible to employees via mass transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Allegheny Riverfront plan involved finding locations for displaced industrial users, including with land swaps. There is the Tippins Steel site (part of the URA's land swap with Buncher), Heppenstall Steel site, the Pitt-Ohio site between 33rd and 35th, various City parcels, and so on.
I live a block up from the Heppenstall site, so I'm well aware of its vacancy. That said, the two competing plans I've seen most recently have some portion of the industrial land between 40th and 48th moving over to residential, which would really be the first disruption of this industrial area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Why would you even want to keep that industry? Property assessments of office/retail/residential are much higher than industrial. Most new industrial developments aren't built without huge exemptions from property taxes. Consequently the taxes collected from industrial sites are lower than office/retail/residential. Most of the work at industrial facilities is mechanized and employment is low. The city collects what - $54 - from each worker? Replace that with residents paying 3% of their income and you're collecting more taxes.
The argument is not whether industrial properties are more lucrative than industrial, it's whether its worth the city's while to attempt to hold onto the industrial employers, or accept a gradual shift to a residential/commercial city. Honestly, while of course industrial property should be placed in areas of low desirability, I think the desire for an end to sprawl has to extend to a desire to see manufacturers not continue to relocate to industrial parks in exurban areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
That's a good point. Now that the projects are closed, there's probably enough room for another 1-2 large-sized industrial employers in the neighborhood.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,765,736 times
Quote:
Does Pittsburgh need a new industrial area?
Yes, in your back yard.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yes, in your back yard.
I moved here just before the plant was knocked down. While I'd certainly prefer residential extended into the area rather than another manufacturing plant, to be honest, my main concern is if there is new industrial development, it will be set really far back on the lot, with a huge parking lot facing Hatfield, ruining the urban character of the area.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times
Quote:
I live a block up from the Heppenstall site, so I'm well aware of its vacancy. That said, the two competing plans I've seen most recently have some portion of the industrial land between 40th and 48th moving over to residential, which would really be the first disruption of this industrial area.
Definitely the idea is to have less land overall devoted to industrial, with the remaining active industrial entities concentrated into fewer locations, there being room to do that due to all the vacancies. That is consistent with not driving existing industrial out, but also not leaving a lot of room for future industrial growth.

I think that is likely a pretty good balance to strike, but I agree it is a policy issue worth discussing explicitly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh