Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 09:53 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
So you would use a route to commute from fox chapel to downtown that you've previously acknowledged as being ridiculous? That makes no sense.
It makes complete sense. You're taking two quotes from two different comments.

I mentioned the driving on a certain stretch of Freeport Road is ridiculous. And I seperately mentioned it was ridiculous to think that no one in Fox Chapel uses the mentioned stretch of road.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:30 AM

27 posts, read 36,719 times
Thanks for the comments. This board is hilarious
So is Fox chapel road very transited? I'm looking at a house on Fox Chapel RD and even thought it doesn't sit right on the road (huge front yard) I'm wondering how congested would the road itself get.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixxiedust View Post
So is Fox chapel road very transited? I'm looking at a house on Fox Chapel RD and even thought it doesn't sit right on the road (huge front yard) I'm wondering how congested would the road itself get.

It of course becomes congested near Freeport Road, but as you travel past 28, traffic thins out and property lines are expanded.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
So your northern suburban mind doesn't think that people who live in Fox Chapel either use the on ramp to 28 off of Fox Chapel Road or the ramp further down the road in Aspinwall?
I should know better than you. I grew up in Fox Chapel.

Quote:
To say I would never or anyone would never use it is ridiculous.
Not for commuting to Pittsburgh. The ramp for Route 28 is prior to reaching Freeport Road.

Quote:
The busy part is in the commercial district near the shopping centers on the river side of Route 28. There is much less traffic on Freeport Road on the other side of Route 28 away from the river, especially past Squaw Run Road.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:02 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Lot's of people spend a lot of money on houses that sit on Fox Chapel Road. I have friend that lives on it. He has 5 kids. That has got to tell you something. The further from 28 you go the less traveled it becomes.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The busy part is in the commercial district near the shopping centers on the river side of Route 28. There is much less traffic on Fox Chapel Road on the other side of Route 28 away from the river, especially past Squaw Run Road.
I noticed I typed Freeport when I mean to type Fox Chapel. I corrected it in red.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
The commute is ridiculous if you use Freeport Road. The section of road from Fox Chapel Road to UPMC St Margaret is "move a few inches, feel inclined to let people leaving Waterworks in to traffic who don't have enough sense to go to an exit which is controlled by a traffic light, move a few more inches, and repeat again".
Huh? No one in FC would take Freeport Road to commute. There is no need to touch that road. You take FC Road to 28S or Delafield Road to Rt. 4th and up on 28S. Also, you don't ever drive on Freeport Road going South. You go north to Fox Chapel Road and get on 28S, or you take the parking lot to Taco Bell's lot, to S on Freeport for a few feet and cut through the back of St. M's to Delafield to 28S. Come on Scott, you need to learn the ropes.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
And what do you think about the schools? Are shops nearby or is it too suburban?
Wow, I just read this thread. To be honest, it is a little scary to read, because I have to wonder about information in general now.

1. FC Schools are very good.
2. Shopping is pretty good considering how close we are to the East End. Sure there is Waterworks, but that is only good for the big State Store, or shoes. We can get to the East End in very little time.
3. FC is suburban, no matter how you slice it. I live as close to Aspinwall as you can and live in FC, but it is still suburban. You know parents driving two blocks in their SUV to drop and pick up the kids from the bus stop stuff. There are some that don't do that though, but it is fun to watch all the lazy people drive their giant SUVs such a short distance. Even today with the beautiful weather. Too funny!
4. FC is the best area in our region. Close to everything and well maintained. It is protected by O'Hara, so that is a good protection, considering O'Hara is pretty nice for the most part. It does have its slums in some areas.

The commute? It is really quite good. Pittsburgh is very close and there are no lights on the way into the city. On the way out, we are under construction, but that isn't going to be forever. It is a little slow, but not as bad as some say. Still better to ride 28 that go to Lawrenceville and up Butler. Anyway, I can get to the city in less than 10 minutes off peak. On peak, 15-20 max. I am very close to 28 however. If you live way out, that could add another 15 minutes.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:46 PM

27 posts, read 36,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, I just read this thread. To be honest, it is a little scary to read, because I have to wonder about information in general now.

1. FC Schools are very good.
2. Shopping is pretty good considering how close we are to the East End. Sure there is Waterworks, but that is only good for the big State Store, or shoes. We can get to the East End in very little time.
3. FC is suburban, no matter how you slice it. I live as close to Aspinwall as you can and live in FC, but it is still suburban. You know parents driving two blocks in their SUV to drop and pick up the kids from the bus stop stuff. There are some that don't do that though, but it is fun to watch all the lazy people drive their giant SUVs such a short distance. Even today with the beautiful weather. Too funny!
4. FC is the best area in our region. Close to everything and well maintained. It is protected by O'Hara, so that is a good protection, considering O'Hara is pretty nice for the most part. It does have its slums in some areas.

The commute? It is really quite good. Pittsburgh is very close and there are no lights on the way into the city. On the way out, we are under construction, but that isn't going to be forever. It is a little slow, but not as bad as some say. Still better to ride 28 that go to Lawrenceville and up Butler. Anyway, I can get to the city in less than 10 minutes off peak. On peak, 15-20 max. I am very close to 28 however. If you live way out, that could add another 15 minutes.
Thank you for the answer. I think the thread is hilarious.. very entertaining to say the least. I've notice that Pittsburghers are a little against moms driving around their SUV I don't have an SUV but I do drive EVERYWHERE. Now granted, I live in Miami on the beach, where any given day is 85 degrees and I have no plans to cook myself outside, the truth is that Floridans don't walk!

I do take leisure stroller walks with my toddler (that's why walkable neighborhoods or at least side walks are important), but when it comes to running errands, I rather drive even if its 2 blocks away, especially if I'm shopping and have my kid with me.

Where I currently live, I have 3 grocery stores within 0.3 miles, starbucks, restaurants, 2 different malls, plenty of parks and obviously the beach. While I know that I can't take my neighborhood with me to Pittsburgh (I wish!!) I'm looking for something with similar convenience and not in the city. I don't want to drive more than 5 minutes to the grocery store or park, more than 10 minutes to target/ the mall and no more than 15 mins to a nice restaurant.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I think the thread is hilarious.. very entertaining to say the least.

Quote:
I've notice that Pittsburghers are a little against moms driving around their SUV I don't have an SUV but I do drive EVERYWHERE. Now granted, I live in Miami on the beach, where any given day is 85 degrees and I have no plans to cook myself outside, the truth is that Floridans don't walk!

I do take leisure stroller walks with my toddler (that's why walkable neighborhoods or at least side walks are important), but when it comes to running errands, I rather drive even if its 2 blocks away, especially if I'm shopping and have my kid with me.
You'll fit right into Fox Chapel then!

Quote:
Where I currently live, I have 3 grocery stores within 0.3 miles, starbucks, restaurants, 2 different malls, plenty of parks and obviously the beach. While I know that I can't take my neighborhood with me to Pittsburgh (I wish!!) I'm looking for something with similar convenience and not in the city. I don't want to drive more than 5 minutes to the grocery store or park, more than 10 minutes to target/ the mall and no more than 15 mins to a nice restaurant.
If you buy the house on Fox Chapel Road, you'll have 2 grocery stores (Giant Eagle and Community) and 3 coffee shops 5 minutes away. There are a few nice restaurants in the area, many average ones, and some fast food. There are many parks in the area, one right on Fox Chapel Road. Target is 10-12 minutes away in Harmarville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh