Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I wouldn't rule out Brighton Township which is right above Beaver, or Chippewa which is only one more exit away.

If you have any interest in seeing the sun before noon, don't live down in the river valley. Stay on top of the hill.

One more thing I just remembered. If you can help it, live on the same side of the river that you will be working on. When they close a bridge for two years, things get real interesting with traffic. The Aliquippa bridge closure is proof of that right now.
I agree. You could also try Patterson Heights, especially if you like older homes, also Patterson Twp. These two, along with Chippewa Twp are in the Blackhawk SD. Chippewa has larger lots, in general, than the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:
Frankly, we like bumping into our neighbors while we are out walking.
So it's YOU that Scott is always complaining about for being on the left side of the sidewalk...

Quote:
One more thing I just remembered. If you can help it, live on the same side of the river that you will be working on. When they close a bridge for two years, things get real interesting with traffic. The Aliquippa bridge closure is proof of that right now.
Excellent point.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM

30 posts, read 48,704 times
In the Sewickley area, if you are interested in a balance between land and a neighborhood, you might consider Leet Township or Bell Acres. Both are part of Quaker Valley School District. Many of the houses there are on larger lots (variable, but often around an acre), yet still have a neighborhood feel. You'd be 5-10 minutes "up the hill" (in local parlance) from the Sewickley Village and from schools. Some find it to be a pain, others love the privacy and woodsiness.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:08 AM

15 posts, read 54,097 times
Yikes, these people have you moving too far away from your job site. Brighton Twp is right outside of Beaver (just up the hill about a mile or two). Nice, nice neighborhoods with tons of kids and sports for them to join in. It's a hop/skip to work in Beaver. You can get a gorgeous lot with room to move around but without having acres to deal with. Beaver School District is great - lots of kids go to top-notch colleges from there with no problems. Pine Twp is very wealthy, but with the money comes other things you don't want to deal with with kids; it's beautiful but.... The others are too too far away.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 AM

43 posts, read 87,410 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am flying down at the end of this week and spending all next week trying to find a home with my realtor from ReMax... Yes 30 mins is okay.

Last edited by ocndvr; 06-04-2012 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 07:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mairbryn View Post
Yikes, these people have you moving too far away from your job site.
That's because she said a 30 minute commute would be okay.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
When we were looking, we loved Sewickley. The kids loved Quaker valley school. It was just a wee bit too high in price for us.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mairbryn View Post
Yikes, these people have you moving too far away from your job site. Brighton Twp is right outside of Beaver (just up the hill about a mile or two). Nice, nice neighborhoods with tons of kids and sports for them to join in. It's a hop/skip to work in Beaver. You can get a gorgeous lot with room to move around but without having acres to deal with. Beaver School District is great - lots of kids go to top-notch colleges from there with no problems. Pine Twp is very wealthy, but with the money comes other things you don't want to deal with with kids; it's beautiful but.... The others are too too far away.
I don't know who you're referring to as "these people". I grew up in Patterson Hts; many of our neighbors worked in Beaver. It's probably 20 min, if that.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM

43 posts, read 87,410 times
Does anyone have an opinion on Economy?

Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocndvr View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on Economy?
I live in Economy. It's a fine enough place to live, mostly rather rural although some houses are in new developments. It's not an area where you're going to walk to businesses, although a few spots may be walking distance to a small park or similar. Some parts of Economy (particularly an area sometimes known as Bradford Park, not to be confused with the borough of Bradford Woods in the Wexford vicinity) are semi-convenient to Cranberry for shopping and really not too far from I-79 to get to the city, and those spots would still be about 20 minutes max from Beaver.

The big problem is schools. If you are going to look at some kind of private school, then it may work out better. And actually, Economy Elementary is not bad from what I can tell. (Make sure you find out that's the school they would attend though as parts of the borough may not actually attend this school.) But Ambridge Area school district as a whole is not so hot generally. This doesn't stop there from being parents who send their kids there with no apparent ill effect. My neighbor's kids for example who graduated from Ambridge High seem to be fine from what I know of them. But overall by things you can measure it's a middling to below average school district. Next-door Freedom Area schools actually rank significantly higher.

Economy also doesn't save you as much on property tax as some other areas in Beaver County. Ambridge Area has one of the highest tax rates of all Beaver County school districts, probably mostly due to spending money on building THREE new schools over about a 5 year period finishing a couple years ago. New schools sure don't make the student performance better.... Anyway, given that, you could look next to Economy in Allegheny County, which is Marshall Township in that same vicinity. There you would have North Allegheny schools.

Be careful not to spend too much if you do end up looking hard at Economy. While there are $300-400k houses there, that's already pushing the top end of the price range, and there aren't too many if any $600k ones. Maybe you can save enough on housing that your budget would allow for private school or something, don't know. (I also wouldn't know what private school to suggest. Apart from religious-affiliated schools the only one that comes to mind is Sewickley Academy that's anywhere nearby.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh