Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times

Advertisements

It's not a bad thing, but weird in a way.
I've been to many places int he country, but Yinzers seem to be proud of their city in particular and many never left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 05:31 PM

429 posts, read 654,596 times
Pittsburgh >>>>> Paris

Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,808,222 times
A strong sense of community is something I find attractive in a place.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:35 PM

429 posts, read 654,596 times
In Pittsburgh you either have somebody that loves it, or somebody that hates it and complains about how they can't wait to move to Charlotte.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's not a bad thing, but weird in a way.
I've been to many places int he country, but Yinzers seem to be proud of their city in particular and many never left.
Aren't you the guy who said that most Asians in the Pittsburgh area are college students who were bound to move on until I illustrated that college students make up no more than one quarter of the total Asian population in the area?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:10 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
In Pittsburgh you either have somebody that loves it, or somebody that hates it and complains about how they can't wait to move to Charlotte.
i have to say ive heard across-the-board 'hate' (or, dislike) from three kinds of people:

1) students at either Pitt or CMU - at one time, i read in a Pitt new students brochure that the university is located in "Oakland, PA". this speaks volumes. like, get out of Oakland, PA and meet people. there is life way beyond the university.

2) foreigners. the comparisons to their paradise hometowns in their respective countries of birth are endless. in no way, shape or form can pittsburgh hold a candle to their hometown where people sit aside slow meandering rivers, painting and speaking poetry to their lovers, whilst breaking open fresh bottles of the best wines in the world.

3) the girl/guy who is staring down the age or 30 and is finding it more and more difficult to get laid by hanging out at the bar. mondays are tough as they try to be productive at work after near dehydration from downing a case of Coors both days prior. monday also means serious discomfort with a mean case of the vapors after several pounds of bratwurst are consumed just 14 hours prior during the gridiron battles. gee, are they right - is pittsburgh is a vast wasteland of boredom and drudgery?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times
I don't see what's "weird" about loving your city. In my experience, the most enthusiastic boosters of Pittsburgh moved here from elsewhere.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Aren't you the guy who said that most Asians in the Pittsburgh area are college students who were bound to move on until I illustrated that college students make up no more than one quarter of the total Asian population in the area?
It depends on how you define Asian.
Indians are Asians too, but they are quite distant...

BTW I never had any friend from Korea or Japan either, though I have some from Taiwan (I'm from mainland China).

Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Of course a bunch of Pittsburgh-area natives DID leave, due to the steel bust and related economic contraction.

Anyway, Americans everywhere tend to be proud of where they live. It can be problematic at times, but mostly it is a force for social cohesion.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,808,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Anyway, Americans everywhere tend to be proud of where they live. It can be problematic at times, but mostly it is a force for social cohesion.
I think it's good to be proud of where one lives, it's only a problem when it tips over into arrogance. I don't see that as being a problem in Pittsburgh. Of the places where I have lived, Pittsburgh has the best balance of self-confidence and non-arrogance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh