Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 01:23 AM

113 posts, read 307,044 times

Advertisements

Hi All ,I need to know from residents if Pittsburgh really meet those criteria :* Ease to find service / clerical job* Cost of life is low* Can live without a car * Generally safe and specefically for a Hair Covered Muslim WomanMillion Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
I believe Pittsburgh does meet your qualifications. Of course, you will need to be fluent in English for a clerical job. Our cost of living is low. Thare are many safe neighborhoods with good public transporation. You will be just as safe as everyone else. Your hair being covered will not be a problem.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 AM

441 posts, read 766,894 times
My best friend is Muslim and nobody here has ever harassed her about it. I've also seen women wearing niqabs in one of Pittsburgh's worst ghettos, and while they got some confused looks, nobody said anything or harassed them for it. I realize this all anecdotal but I've never gotten the impression that this city is unsafe for Muslim women.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Squirrel Hill neighborhood has an Orthodox Jewish population, so it's not uncommon to see women with their hair covered in that area. Nobody bats an eye at a headscarf there.

Last edited by Tirade; 11-01-2012 at 03:40 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
Hi All ,I need to know from residents if Pittsburgh really meet those criteria :* Ease to find service / clerical job* Cost of life is low* Can live without a car * Generally safe and specefically for a Hair Covered Muslim WomanMillion Thanks in Advance
Starting with cost of living, Pittsburgh has one of the most reasonable cost of living for a large city* in the US. Although rent is not dirt cheap, it is still not at the level of NYC, SF, or DC where rent below $1000 a month does not exist for all practical purposes. In many neighborhoods (mainly in the east end or in the south hills along the T line) it is entirely possible to live without a car comfortably given everything you need is either withing walking distance or has easy access via public transit. Pittsburgh is socially libertarian so unless you are living in the fringes of the metro (i.e., Fayette County) nobody will harass you about being Muslim (well maybe one or two jerks occasionally, but we are not the bible belt in that aspect thankfully.)
As for the job, I would assume it would not be difficult to obtain, but I will let someone more knowledgeable such as BrianTH answer that question since he has hard data to back up the claim.

* By large city, I mean metro area larger than 1.5 million which I know some might disagree with but I feel that number covers most recognized cities with the exception of New Orleans

Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,042,785 times
I read your post wrong - for a minute, I thought you meant you were covered in hair.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,993,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I read your post wrong - for a minute, I thought you meant you were covered in hair.
LOL, you're not the only one. I was picturing the poor woman being a Yeti or something.

I think "head-covered" would've been a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: