Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy53 View Post
They only showed the game on ESPN3 which is on the computer which there is a free app for but after sitting through that game the less tortured the better!!!!
There were media time-outs on the field, which made us think someone somewhere was televising it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Temple is now the best college football team in Pennsylvania.

I fear the Mountaineers will continue to encroach on SWPA.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Pitt is almost as good as Penn State, maybe they can join forces and be almost a BCS team? This is coming from a very disgruntled Pitt fan by the way.
Well they are joining the Almost Competitive Conference (ACC).

Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Well they are joining the Almost Competitive Conference (ACC).
We can only hope that Pitt football will be able to match up with Duke.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Ouch

Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
WVU fan here:

Putting the malice of the rivalry aside for a moment, I'd like your thoughts on what it would take to bring Pitt football back to a reasonable level of consistent yearly success (8-10 win seasons).

- An on campus stadium: I know its a bit of a pipe dream, but there's a lot of cheap real estate in the hill district that is begging to be bought up and redeveloped. It would lead to an increase of attendance at the games as the students could merely hike up and over the hill as opposed to waiting for shuttles/arranging some other transportation to the north shore. It would also utilize one of the few advantages Pitt has in competing with the Steelers for the disposible income of fans. The atmosphere in and around Heinz field is anything but collegiate on Saturday's, and capturing the unique feel of a Saturday that exists in a college town would be a better draw.

-Continuity at the head coaching position: Game 1 didn't go well and this season may be a wash, but I have this feeling that Chryst might have been a coup for your program. You have to figure that you're looking at the 4th HC in 3 years. Sunseri isn't a good QB by any stretch of imagination. Come to think of it you guys haven't had a good signal caller since Palko. Stull was solid, but turned into a deer in the headlights when faced with any substantial rush.

-Removing Pederson and possibly Nordenburg: The former is a program killer 3 times over now (Pitt, Nebraska, Pitt again)

-Tap into the program's tradition: Bring back the Script Pitt and the mustard and blue uniforms. It was a unique look that self promotes the Pitt brand. The dinocat logo or Notre Dame uniforms don't do the program any favors. The throwback uniforms your team wore against Youngstown state years ago (2004?) were really solid, yet they were used once and never again. Why?

Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Removing Chancellor Nordenberg because the football team sucks? lol

Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 AM

540 posts, read 868,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
WVU fan here:

Putting the malice of the rivalry aside for a moment, I'd like your thoughts on what it would take to bring Pitt football back to a reasonable level of consistent yearly success (8-10 win seasons).

- An on campus stadium: I know its a bit of a pipe dream, but there's a lot of cheap real estate in the hill district that is begging to be bought up and redeveloped. It would lead to an increase of attendance at the games as the students could merely hike up and over the hill as opposed to waiting for shuttles/arranging some other transportation to the north shore. It would also utilize one of the few advantages Pitt has in competing with the Steelers for the disposible income of fans. The atmosphere in and around Heinz field is anything but collegiate on Saturday's, and capturing the unique feel of a Saturday that exists in a college town would be a better draw.

-Continuity at the head coaching position: Game 1 didn't go well and this season may be a wash, but I have this feeling that Chryst might have been a coup for your program. You have to figure that you're looking at the 4th HC in 3 years. Sunseri isn't a good QB by any stretch of imagination. Come to think of it you guys haven't had a good signal caller since Palko. Stull was solid, but turned into a deer in the headlights when faced with any substantial rush.

-Removing Pederson and possibly Nordenburg: The former is a program killer 3 times over now (Pitt, Nebraska, Pitt again)

-Tap into the program's tradition: Bring back the Script Pitt and the mustard and blue uniforms. It was a unique look that self promotes the Pitt brand. The dinocat logo or Notre Dame uniforms don't do the program any favors. The throwback uniforms your team wore against Youngstown state years ago (2004?) were really solid, yet they were used once and never again. Why?
I'll start with what I agree with above: the continuity in head coaching. I'm encouraged by the Chryst hire, despite last week's result. Trying to pick up the pieces of the Wannstedt/Haywood/Graham shambles is going to be difficult this year, but I'd like to see what he can do with his own recruiting classes. I also agree about Sunseri, but it seems like Chryst may want to save Voytik's eligibility, so perhaps this year is a throwaway. I am disappointed and surprised that the defense looked so bad. I would also be on board with returning to uniform styles and traditions from the more successful eras of Pitt football.

I like the idea of an on-campus stadium, but the reality is, when they had one it was just as empty as Heinz Field is these days. You're never going to create a college town environment on an urban campus like Pitt's. By maintaining the partnership with the Steelers, Pitt will always be assured of having up-to-date facilities for both practice/training and gamedays. The people who will spend money to support the program are the alumni, not the students, and it doesn't make much difference to them whether they travel to the North Side or Oakland to see the games. I think the students will fill their sections when the team is good and not care much when they're not, regardless of the game location.

I have no problem with losing Pederson as he hasn't made a positive impact decision since firing Frank Solich for going 9-3 at Nebraska, and by all accounts I've heard he's a pretty lousy person. But let's remember that he rescued football at Pitt from the brink of joining YSU in the FCS, hired Walt Harris and Ben Howland (who brought Jamie Dixon), oversaw the creation of the partnership with the Steelers for both Heinz Field and the South Side training facility, and got the Peterson Events Center built. Those successes are why Nebraska hired him in the first place. I have no answer for why Nordenberg hired him back again other than familiarity. I agree with Evergrey's comment that it would be folly to fire Nordenberg just because of problems in the athletic program.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Removing Chancellor Nordenberg because the football team sucks? lol
Yes this makes me think he/she has to be kidding? I mean who would want to remove the best fundraiser in Pitt history?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
As a Pitt fan I am incredibly dissapointed with the loss, but I would rather lose with dignity than become a win at all costs program like Penn State. Pitt has had some embarrissing losses in recent years, but they have also struggled to find a top quarterback, despite all of the skill position talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh