Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times

Advertisements

so! i moved away! to western mass, and i'm pretty happy with where i ended up.

it is a bit less friendly but living in pittsburgh has taught be to be friendly to random people and people seem to respond pretty well to that. i also think it's friendlier than ct and eastern mass, in general.

i weirdly miss the universal topic of sports for small talk. the fact that EVERYONE is into sports in pittsburgh has gone from slightly annoying to sort of intriguing to weirdly comforting for me over the years. my husband's going to be psyched because most people around here like the boston teams and he grew up with the bruins.

i have to drive everywhere and we're moving to a rural (beautiful, awesome) house next month (i'm housesitting right now) so that's going to continue. there's actually decent public transportation for such a rural area because of all the schools that are around but of course it's nothing compared to pittsburgh.

the scenery here can be really gorgeous, but the landscape doesn't have the crazy drama of pittsburgh. i might miss that the most.

of course i miss lots of specific people and places, but i feel like this was a good move. this area is not pittsburghy at ALL but it does share a real sense of place and a sense that there are not really many places quite like this in the world. i am probably most excited to go see the OCEAN! i hope i can go dip a toe in within the next few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
You've started your new adventure! How exciting!

We're going to miss you here so please keep visiting us.

Post pictures too!

Old 08-04-2013, 03:46 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

it is a bit less friendly but living in pittsburgh has taught be to be friendly to random people and people seem to respond pretty well to that. i also think it's friendlier than ct and eastern mass, in general.

i weirdly miss the universal topic of sports for small talk. the fact that EVERYONE is into sports in pittsburgh has gone from slightly annoying to sort of intriguing to weirdly comforting for me over the years. my husband's going to be psyched because most people around here like the boston teams and he grew up with the bruins.

i have to drive everywhere and we're moving to a rural (beautiful, awesome) house next month (i'm housesitting right now) so that's going to continue. there's actually decent public transportation for such a rural area because of all the schools that are around but of course it's nothing compared to pittsburgh.

the scenery here can be really gorgeous, but the landscape doesn't have the crazy drama of pittsburgh. i might miss that the most.

of course i miss lots of specific people and places, but i feel like this was a good move. this area is not pittsburghy at ALL but it does share a real sense of place and a sense that there are not really many places quite like this in the world. i am probably most excited to go see the OCEAN! i hope i can go dip a toe in within the next few weeks.
Congratulations on the move. And you're just in time for Tanglewood and Jacob's Pillow.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:48 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

I love Western Mass. I go back there semi-routinely, because my mom retired to Northampton. It's about the only place in New England which tempts me in terms of living, although the cost-of-living and serious lack of jobs up there hold me back. The dining scene for vegan/vegetarian food is just about equal to Pittsburgh too, despite being like 1/10th the size.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
WQED had a great documentary on its "Experience" program last night called "Squirrel Hill in a Nutshell." It might be on their website. Was a great look at the neighborhood and all it offers. Didn't know that the population of Squirrel Hill, Shadyside and Bloomfield combined increase 10% in the last decade.
thx for this - just watched. very interesting. Never had a TV program made about the neighborhood I live in!!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
I didnt read this whole thread but 2 and a half years ago I moved from the Pittsburgh area to Florida. What I miss is, first my friends, second chipped ham!!! Can't get these people to chip ham properly! I do miss the rolling hills too. PA has to be one of the prettiest states there is. I love Florida but it's just flat, not Interesting at all topography wise.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
This is a very good thread. Thanks for posting it. When I moved away, I missed my friends the most. I was pretty young at the time. 17 years old and got back to Pittsburgh at 25 or something like that. I also missed the rain. I was in Miami and Orlando much of that time and the people in general were less stable and much less trustworthy. It was a learning experience and quite an adjustment. I am very glad I moved back, but might reconsider it when I retire if I make it that long. I also missed seasons and cloudy days. I actually liked hurricane season and the wild weather. I missed the topography and the smell of pine trees when you get out of the city itself and head north. Missed skiing and old buildings. I missed the yinzer types that would have your back no matter what. Old school Pittsburgh that is sadly fading away. There was a sort of trust and bond that is hard to find these days around cities. Much easier to find in small towns if you live there long enough.

Someone mentioned bicycle trails. Pittsburgh has some, but it isn't all that great compared to a place like DC, Boulder, Portland, Seattle and other places. It has a ways to go, but it is much better than it was and some groups are helping a lot. Friends of the Riverfront and Bike Pittsburgh are doing what they can.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Someone mentioned bicycle trails. Pittsburgh has some, but it isn't all that great compared to a place like DC, Boulder, Portland, Seattle and other places. It has a ways to go, but it is much better than it was and some groups are helping a lot. Friends of the Riverfront and Bike Pittsburgh are doing what they can.
After riding the first 20 miles of the GAP yesterday, I actually rate that a lot higher than Portland's main paths along the Willamette and up towards Gresham. I'd agree that PDX has better urban biking in city/suburbs, but that GAP path, plus the Jail Trail and the ones through the downtown, the Strip and North Side are pretty fine bike paths. I hope we get more.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You've started your new adventure! How exciting!

We're going to miss you here so please keep visiting us.

Post pictures too!
well, we'll be renting this place starting next month:

right near this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh