Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,221 times

Advertisements

I know there is a forum for home renovation topics, but I want to get more of a local flavor on this issue. Also, I heard recently that contractors in this area (and it was said very specifically -this area) are lousy and unprofessional, so again, that is why I am posting here.

Since I have no experience in dealing with contractors, specifically, a general contractor, I want to know if it is customary for them to charge for estimates. Does it depend on the complexity of what you are asking them to assess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM

225 posts, read 299,993 times
I would imagine yeah, it depends how much time they're putting into it. If it's a small job, probably no charge. If it's "Redesign an entire wing of a house" you bet your ass it's on your dime.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I know there is a forum for home renovation topics, but I want to get more of a local flavor on this issue. Also, I heard recently that contractors in this area (and it was said very specifically -this area) are lousy and unprofessional, so again, that is why I am posting here.

Since I have no experience in dealing with contractors, specifically, a general contractor, I want to know if it is customary for them to charge for estimates. Does it depend on the complexity of what you are asking them to assess?
Free estimates are the norm in my experience. I just got finished with a general contractor. The work was adequate for the most part (great for some stuff, terrible for others). My advice is that if you have the time, use the specialized contractors instead of a general contractor. Not much sense in trusting a carpenter to to an electricians work, for example.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM

268 posts, read 385,611 times
With the exception of a very significant project, you should not expect to be charged for job bids. This is not on your dime. This is part of being a contractor who is trying to get jobs awarded to them.

I send out job bids on a regular basis, so this is no b.s. As in any region, there are people who are unprofessional and those who are not. No more or less here. You just have to know who you are dealing with because there are shady characters for sure...I have assembled a really solid team right now, and can recommend you professional and honest people in a number of areas. What are you looking to have done?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 PM

281 posts, read 340,859 times
No general contractor or specialized contractor has ever asked me to pay for an estimate. Ever. If one did I would be suspicious and not have further discussion with them. I have rehabbed several houses, and I mean houses that needed everything, had bad roofs, broken windows, no furnaces, scary wiring, rudimentary plumbing, holes in walls and floors, termites, etc., and I have never heard of contractors wanting fees for estimates.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,575,172 times
Agree that unless its a large complicated project, you shouldn't be getting charged for estimates under most circumstances.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM

89 posts, read 170,296 times
I don't know what you've heard, but we just had a bathroom added to our new home and got several estimates. No one charged us and we had nothing but a pleasant experience with everyone. We went with Mabro (in regent square) and they were amazing! Very positive experience all around.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,221 times
Thanks for the responses. This was very helpful. I feel a little smarter now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh