Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:35 PM

10 posts, read 20,677 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in a small town in northern Indiana, working as a medical receptionist, and frankly, I'm bored. It's a college town, but there's nothing really going on here. I'm single (except my two cats), and I've decided that now is as good a time as any to start over. So I want to move. I've done some searches for towns that have a low cost of living, a decent food scene, good culture, GLBT friendly, younger demographic, liberal-ish leanings, and Pittsburgh, to my absolute shock, kept coming up near the top.

I've spent the last few weeks researching, reading a ton of the information out there on the benefits and downfalls of Pittsburgh, and pouring over a lot of the threads on this here forum. Since this seems like the best repository for information, I thought I'd go here.

If you were in your early 30s, looking to rent, wanting to start over in a city that wasn't going to drain your pocketbook but offered you things to do and see, would you move to where you are now? I'm from the Midwest, so I'm used to driving everywhere, though I'd like to take public transport if at all possible. I want to get involved with the theatre scene, eat some good food, drink some good drinks, and find a new home. So, can you talk to me about your city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:06 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyoyo View Post
So, can you talk to me about your city?
What's in it for us?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
What's in it for us?
Clearly I'll bring you Indiana corn and possibly bake you cookies.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyoyo View Post
Clearly I'll bring you Indiana corn and...bake you cookies.
That's the best offer we've had in a long time. Promise not to bring tornados and you've got a deal.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-03-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,600,132 times
We moved here last year (having lived mostly in bigger cities -- Boston, Chicago, etc) and we LOVE it. I highly recommend the Northside, which has a lot of neat neighborhoods (some dodgy, but most of them honestly fantastic and safe), and it's connected to downtown and the Cultural District (ie, theatre scene) by a strong network of buses. You can actually walk there too, depending on where you live.

One impression I have, which may or may not be backed up by others on here: real estate is much better for buying than for renting. There's a big population of students, which drives up the rental prices, and there are a lot of lovely old houses being sold. You can spend $50k for a fabulous fixer-upper, or $150k for something that's just been fixed up to be flipped, and either way your mortgage will probably be less than what you'd pay in rent for something comparable -- at least, that's been our experience; again others with more experience may disagree. But my point is, if you've got a good job where you are, I'd advise saving up for a year or two and thinking about buying in Pittsburgh, because you can get some amazing deals over here.

As far as rentals go, however, this is an interesting recent news story:
Faros Residential renames Washington Plaza and Allegheny Center apartments (Video) - Pittsburgh Business Times

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out...we rented at Allegheny Center when we were house shopping, and we loved the location. Absolutely loved it: you can walk downtown and you're right by the lovely Mexican War Streets, and there's a number of buses to connect you to the rest of the city as well.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,600,132 times
Oops -- not sure why the forum didn't let me post the link (I'm new here too!) -- but hopefully cutting and posting the URL will get you there. Or just google "Allegheny Center Apartments" and search for news.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's the best offer we've had in a long time. Promise not to bring tornados and you've got a deal.
Oh lordy, no. I'm leaving the lake effect everything mess behind me. Cross my heart.

And Rogers, thank you! One thing I keep seeing is everyone talking about how much of a neighborhood town Pittsburgh is, which is what I'm worried about - finding the right one to move into. I'll put the Northside on my list.

I have seen a lot on the low housing prices. I'm just not sure I'm ready to own anything yet. I'll keep an eye out on that for a possibility as well, too, though.

Last edited by Abbyoyo; 08-03-2014 at 10:32 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 10:56 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,396,252 times
If you bake me cookies i will carry the heavy things in from the truck.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
If you bake me cookies i will carry the heavy things in from the truck.
Deal. And with this offer I am officially moving and everyone is getting cookies.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,396,252 times
Now i am going to be dreaming of snickerdoodles all night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh