Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

I accompanied a friend of one of my children to the DMV yesterday. There was an Asian couple there. The woman came up to us and asked for assistance filling out the form for her husband. We were able to help her by wording questions differently so she could understand. When we were at the counter, they were being waited on next to us by someone else. He was clearly irritated and rude even though this couple was nothing but extremely polite.

Afterwards, I noticed them sitting at the back of the room in distress as they looked at a paper and whispered to each other. I decided to find out if everything was okay. They handed me the form with a box checked off for additional documentation they needed. I read the line over and over and it didn't make any sense whatsoever to me, an English speaker, saying something about extension.

She kept showing me a very official durable high tech card and pointing at it. I looked at the card and it wasn't expired. I went up to the counter and asked the nicer guy who had waited on the girl I was with, and pointed to the line asking what it meant. He said he needed a I-797 form from immigration that explained the reason why he was granted the very official high tech card. I'm assuming the card was a visa of some sort. So I went back and explained to her that she needed to go back to immigration with this paper from the DMV, point to that line and tell them she needed it, and then return to the DMV and show them that document.

The worst part is that I don't think he will get a driver's license after he does all this running around. I researched I-797 and found this on the PA DMV website. Since his very official high tech card expires in November 2013, it doesn't appear as if he can get a driver's license even after he obtains this document the DMV wants because the PA DMV only gives driver's licenses to foreigners who will be here for a year or more.

I don't know, it all seems crazy. It's just a driver's license. What harm can come from someone who is capable of driving having a driver's license? And why are our local DMV workers so nasty to foreigners? Foreigners can be here for many reasons, many admirable reasons. Even if they were missing a piece of paper or don't meet the requirements, they deserved to be treated more respectfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
I don't think being foreign is necessarily a critical factor as to whether the DMV is a frustrating and annoying experience, but I doubt it helps. Its clearly not a customer oriented experience (they don't take cash or credit cards, for example, wtf) and is very annoying if you have anything other than a routine transaction with all your required documents in hand and even then its not exactly a pleasant experience. So dealing with an unusual situation combined with a language barrier sounds like a nightmare.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Hopes it was really nice you took the time to help them. Thanks for representing our region that way. I found the location of the DMV makes a difference. I like the one in New Ken and Kittanning for friendly people. Not a big fan of Penn Hills or the North Hills much. It is a shame people can be such jerks to others that are trying to get things done.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
(they don't take cash or credit cards, for example, wtf)
The last time I had to deal with the DMV in person, that was the real stunner to me. I wasn't even aware it was legal not to take cash. I had to get out of line and, instead of going home for my checkbook, find a bank to sell me a cashier's check. You'd think they'd warn people about that.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Kudos to you for helping those people. Govt workers are the laziest people on the planet.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Hopes it was really nice you took the time to help them. Thanks for representing our region that way.
Hey, we're friendly like that.

(Of course, Hopes didn't mention that she waited in her car until they were crossing in front of her and then tried to run them down....)

Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM

64 posts, read 91,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The last time I had to deal with the DMV in person, that was the real stunner to me. I wasn't even aware it was legal not to take cash. I had to get out of line and, instead of going home for my checkbook, find a bank to sell me a cashier's check. You'd think they'd warn people about that.
When I finally changed to a PA license last fall I encountered this nonsense at the downtown DMV. They asked how I was paying, and I said, debit/credit? I got a look of death and was told personal check or money order. Sorry, as a 31 year old male, I don't carry my checkbook with me that much and to be honest, I could probably count the number of MO's I've purchased over the years on one hand...and STILL have a few unused fingers! I was instructed that if I had read the form (in a tone that only the DMV could ever get away with) I would have known this...and true enough, it was there, in section 13, paragraph 8, version 1.58, etc.

I was beyond aggravated with this lack of sophistication as far as how they can receive payment. It was 2012 and I couldn't use a piece of plastic? I even tried the old standby...CASH...and was told "NO! CHECK OR MONEY ORDER!" I was then told I could go to the bank next door...I turned around and stormed back to my building and gave up for a few days before going back (with paycheck in hand). Luckily my work is flexible and I could run over there at odd hours when it wasn't busy at all. I'm fairly certain I did some heavy PA-bashing during those few days in between. And yes, I know...it was my fault, I should have read, bla bla bla...

Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The "no cash" rule is because they can't trust government employees to handle cash. The no "credit/debit" rule is mindboggling.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:31 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The "no cash" rule is because they can't trust government employees to handle cash. The no "credit/debit" rule is mindboggling.
Probably the no credit/debit is because there would be a huge cost in systems and because even for the government there is a fee involved. Not that there isn't a cost associated in them processing the checks, but it is more hidden (i.e. the cost of extra labor) as opposed to the processor taking away 2% or so of the credit card receipts.

How do they trust the PLCB employees to handle cash?

Anyway pretty much DMV anywhere is always a poster child for bad service, indifferent employees, cryptic rules and forms, etc. etc. The good thing is in PA you typically don't have to go there except once every 4 years to get a photo for a new license, and in my experience there's at least not a big line for that. I went to the E. Rochester branch near my house the last couple times. Employee was crap but at least there was no line for photos.

When you renew your license, you can do the renewal/payment part (everything but the photo) online, and online they DO take credit cards. Same with registration, for that you never have to go anywhere, and pay by credit card, sticker comes in the mail. But when you're first moving in or first getting a license there are extra hurdles of course.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Agreed with the others' sentiments, it's more that the DMV "customer service reps" embody the worst of the lackluster service towards the public by government agencies & these individuals less then perfect grasp of the English language just exasperated things.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Yac; 01-25-2013 at 04:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh