Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 9,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maba View Post
psu9798, thanks a bunch! Do you live in the Wexford area?
I live in Beaver County about 10 minutes from the Wexford interchange of 79. Glad to help. We're always on the hunt for great new places to go. If you hit any new places, let me know if you think they are worth visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,409 times
Default more restaurants

We've loved The Pines Tavern, a restaurant and pub on the Red Belt. Head toward Treesdale, pass it, turn left on Babcock (still the Red Belt), bear right at the next fork in the road. The Pines is on your right as you travel the Red Belt, if you get to Route 8 you've gone way too far. The Red Belt, as you may know, twists and turns, goes up and down hill; but the food and atmosphere at The Pines Tavern are worth the trip.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maba View Post
Hi All,
After having lived in a rented place in Squirrel Hill for 3 years, we moved to our own home in Wexord (Pine township) and I sorely miss my old neighborhood. Nothing is in walking distance (not that we didn't know that before moving) and since we are new to the area, we don't know of the fun things to do here. First thing I noticed after moving here is that there really are no good authentic restaurants in the vicinity. I'm looking for ethnic restaurants and not chains like Olive Garden, Applebee's etc. People who live here or are familiar with this area, would you please tell me what some of the good restaurants, movie theaters (theaters that play non main-stream movies like the Squirrel Hill and Manor theaters in SH) and local stores and cafes are? Which would be the closest neighborhood that has the things I'm looking for? (Boylocke and Hopes, please come to my rescue.)

P.S.: I don't mean to sound cynical or disparaging about the suburbs, but it's just that I miss the city. I'm sure once I become familiar with this area, I will feel at home.
I understand how you feel--I lived in Mt. Lebanon for awhile, and although it was still suburban, it was very close to some nice places, and everything seemed very classy and "old world". When I moved to the North Hills, it seemed like everything was too spread out and too "new". But after a while, you get used to it, and you find the nice stuff, or you drive to it! My children go to North Allegheny and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I have to admit, I'm okay with chains and one-of-a-kind's equally; they both have their purpose. But you are correct that there needs to be more culture out here. If you have the time, why not be the person who makes it happen? Whatever it is you want to do, you will find plenty of cultured and educated supporters here who are probably yearning for it just as much!!! All you need to do is reach out, as you are already doing...you will eventually find the others who share your passion.

I agree with all the restaurants aforementioned in the other replies (I for one adore Kotobuki in Allison Park!). But make sure you also try the Passport Cafe in the Pine Tree Shoppes. It seems to be another "one-of-a-kind"-type place. It has not been there for very long under that name & I just tried it the other day, not knowing what to expect.

I was impressed with the unique food & flavor combinations and the super-low price tag for lunch! I promised myself I would have to go back at least once every other week so I could try everything else on the menu!

I also enjoy Loafers in Wexford Plaza--not sure if it is a chain or not, but the bread and cereal are made fresh on site--try the Laurel Mountain bread and the cranberry granola...yum!!! And they have other nice things as well.

Enjoy your new experiences here in the North Hills...and, welcome!

Old 11-07-2007, 08:30 PM

18 posts, read 60,121 times
psu9798, we visited The Cafe at Sewickley and we really liked it. Thanks for recommending the place. Must try the others on your list.

Adnyl, I noticed the Pine Tavern when we went for a drive on the Red Belt the other day. Do they have vegetarian dishes on their menu (my husband is a vegetarian)?

babybabe, thank you for the reassuring words. And thanks to you folks on this forum, I'm getting to know more about this area. I've been in the Pine Tree Shoppes Plaza a few times but for some reason (maybe it's proximity to Panera) thought that the Passport Cafe was another chain. Will definitely check it out.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,688 times
Default dining thoughts

I checked out the Pines Tavern (http://www.thepinestavern.com/pines2.html - broken link) website to see about their vegetarian selections. They are pretty minimal, salads and a pasta dish or two. But I've had some of both and I am never disappointed. They have their own garden to grow their own produce and their ingredients are top notch. It is the kind of place where I am sure they can accomodate any diner's needs, just don't be afraid to ask.

Loafers Bakery has expanded in recent years. I know they have added a shop in Seven Fields. It's in the plaza with Target off of 228 beside the Starbucks in the grouping of shops toward the entrance. Their cinnamon swirl bread makes excellent french toast.

babybabe~I am excited to try to try the Passport Cafe. I didn't even realize there was a newer place to eat there. I saw Rotelli's moved out but that was the last I noticed.

My husband and I tried Walnut Grove this past Friday. Our entrees were very good. The service was just okay. Once we received our salads and then again when we received our entrees, no one checked on us or asked us if everything was alright. Our waitress only returned when we put our utensils down and I guess looked ready for our dishes to be cleared. I would be willing to go back again because of the food in hopes our service was not typical. They had a busy bar with some good tap selections and tv's around. The bar tables are first come first serve so if one is open feel free to snatch it up.

maba~ as you and others continue to explore the area I hope you will continue to post good finds for the rest of us to try!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 AM

49 posts, read 190,420 times
Default Living in Wexford

It sounds like you live pretty close to me, I live in Bradfordwoods, just moved here a few months ago. Like you, I used live in the City, the city was Chicago though. I had felt the same way when I moved near Ann Arbor MI, I was totally distraught about driving everywhere, and no public transport. I rode my bike once and three people almost hit me, because I was riding my bike.. lol I got to the grocery store, and this big woman came up to me, oh honey, I just seen you riding your bike.. lol lol Anyway, I understand totally what you are going through, if you go up 19, Cranberry has the movie theatre, you have more shops, and some mom and pop places also, Ichaban (sp) steak house, pizza joints, and of course the chain restaurants. Being from Chicago, I am now use to not really having authentic food (now), etc. If you see a lady in a flex fuel mini van, that is me, too bad Pittsburgh is not doing much of these gas stations. I am gonna try and change that. I will be swerving around the rode like a tourist, lol.. because I am still finding my way about.. lol

Old 11-12-2007, 08:24 PM

58 posts, read 247,391 times
You may also want to try Frescos on 19 in Wexford. It is next to the Chadwick banquet hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh