Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times

Advertisements

A teacher at CAPA was knocked cold from behind by several assailants on Tito Way (formerly 8th St.) in town yesterday at about 3:30 p.m.

This part of town near the Wood St. LRT station, has been a gathering location for teenagers after school for many years and they aren't always on their best behavior. Its a pretty bold move to attack someone in a well traveled area like this in broad daylight.

Be careful in this sector.

The officials say they are reviewing surveillance tapes, hopefully they'll make a real example out of the perps particularly considering how the city fathers are doing what they can to improve town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times
If Riverparc would have ever come to fruition, Tito Way/8th Street would not be a desolate alley between Penn and Fort Duquesne. It would be a vibrant thorofare of shops, galleries, retaurants, etc. In other words, not an area where those determined to do the wrong thing would feel comfortable. As long as it stays a desolate allley, it appeals to be a place where undesireables can hide in the shadows with the rats. Before someone thinks that I am blaming the Cultural Trust for slacking on their development of Riverparc as the reason the teacher got mugged, Don't go there. The point is that squalid people are drawn to squalid areas. They like to hide in the shadows because they are bent on doing what they are not supposed to. Look at Market Square. It used to be nuisance bars and drug dealers and homeless. No more. Much of that crowd has move up to Wood. They will not be long for the Wood Street Corridor either once the office towers of Millcraft and PNC are built in this area. Add to this Point Park University's plans for expansion and facade improvements and new retail, the riff raff will not feel comfortable there also. My point being is that when an area is revitalized, it is not necessary to boot the undesirables. They leave on their own. They shun the spotlight. So yes, like the OP said, be careful. At the same time, Let's get Riverparc going!

http://www.concordeastridge.com/proj...ject.php?id=56

Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
8th Street really isn't desolate at all, its a well traveled link between Penn and Liberty behind the Benedum.

Between Penn and Ft. Duquesne, there are just parking lots, a union hall and the Goodyear dealership at the end. Later at night, there used to be prostitution in that area- I don't know about nowadays. But there aren't any bars nuisance or otherwise and this latest assault occurred between Penn and Liberty according to the Channel 11 report.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times
I know. Just if Riverparc would have been developed, the whole area would be better. Not to get off subject. But the lack of development along 8th Street is one of my pet peeves after such grandiose plans in 2006.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
This might not have been random since the victim is a teacher at CAPA. The attackers might have been students or affiliated with a student. I'd say the same thing if a suburban teacher was attacked in an area near where youths hang out in the suburbs.

But it's good to know that downtown might not be as safe as we always believed. I know many people who are afraid of the kids who hang out at the Wood Street station. I've never been afraid of them but thought they were annoying at times.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
I hope this incident with the teacher is just an anomaly and not a trend.

I used to work at PNC HQ and still visit there regularly and take the Wood St T frequently. IMO, even with the revitalized Market Square, that whole area has gotten even seedier than it was 10 years ago. Besides the professionals who mostly are out only at lunch and for their commute, the kids usually add to my comfort level downtown - they're usually pleasant and hold doors or at least smile. It's the "riff-raff" adults who skeeve me out - lots of men and women just loitering, lining the sidewalks or meandering seemingly aimlessly, shouting, smoking, spitting, poor hygiene - and no, not homeless or waiting for a bus.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A teacher at CAPA was knocked cold from behind by several assailants on Tito Way (formerly 8th St.) in town yesterday at about 3:30 p.m.

This part of town near the Wood St. LRT station, has been a gathering location for teenagers after school for many years and they aren't always on their best behavior. Its a pretty bold move to attack someone in a well traveled area like this in broad daylight.

Be careful in this sector.

The officials say they are reviewing surveillance tapes, hopefully they'll make a real example out of the perps particularly considering how the city fathers are doing what they can to improve town.
One would think it would be bold, but judging from the reactions of everyone who saw it happen (the carefree lady carrying the blue bag, the other students who walked away, etc.) it is pretty easy to assault someone Downtown and doesn't take much boldness at all.

If not for the video footage there'd be nothing to go on but the teacher's statement, plus the vague recollections of anyone else who might've stayed around long enough to give a statement.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
One would think it would be bold, but judging from the reactions of everyone who saw it happen (the carefree lady carrying the blue bag, the other students who walked away, etc.) it is pretty easy to assault someone Downtown and doesn't take much boldness at all.

If not for the video footage there'd be nothing to go on but the teacher's statement, plus the vague recollections of anyone else who might've stayed around long enough to give a statement.
Yeah, people don't get involved anymore in the city. If someone is killing another person in the middle of any city street, everyone will just keep walking by. Heck some might even cheer these days. Just different times. They sure are starting young. Just the other day some 15 year olds were arrested in McKees Rocks for some murder deal. These kids were teens that attempted murder on this teacher. It sure is sick to see so many laughing and thinking that is great. Sure must be a lot of hate in these inner-city kids. When I was a teen, I just had fun playing sports and enjoying life. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for these teens to be filled with so much hate and hopelessness. Wish people wouldn't have kids if they don't want to bring them up right, but that doesn't seem to be a trend that is for sure.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:11 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post

We're clearly not watching the same video. Three or four people rush over to the victim after the group containing the assailant has left the area. The "carefree lady" moves as far over to the right of the alley as possible and attempts to not draw the attention of the group as they pass her by. It certainly seems like a rational decision after witnessing the unprovoked and vicious assault. Again, after they're gone, she checks on the victim.

I'm not sure what response you think is appropriate. The attack is essentially a single, sudden blow not a continuous, sustained event. To not directly confront a violent thug with possible psychopathic tendencies and wait 10 seconds to go over to the victim is not an indictment of those in the area.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,890 times
That is absolutley horrendous! I think I would have reacted slower than usual due to the shock. It happened so fast. Those kids seem to be soulless, it is frightening.

That and the unreal rascist rant comments on the KDKA page gave me a stomachache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh