Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 5,156 times

Advertisements

yesterday, bad day, I drove my wife's car crash my Mazda6 car. I went to shop and got estimate, they estimated about $1,400! For me it is too high. I have to repair 2 cars. Someone could recommend a shop with lower price, Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andey21 View Post

yesterday, bad day, I drove my wife's car crash my Mazda6 car. I went to shop and got estimate, they estimated about $1,400! For me it is too high. I have to repair 2 cars. Someone could recommend a shop with lower price, Thanks!

You can try Extra Mile Automotive, S. 18th St. and Josephine on the South Side.

Its along side the upper tracks, and they aren't very expensive.

I've gone there with an old car that wasn't insured and it turned out fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 PM

89 posts, read 170,311 times
We have used Armstrong Auto Body on Penn in Garfield and were happy.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
You could try Ron Scott Auto Body in East Oakmont. That should really have a new fender. If you want to save BIG money, you could do a search for your car in that blue that has rear end damage and hopefully find the fender. That would save you a ton. Try and get someone to find a used part to replace your smashed one. It can be done on the Internet. Have your vin handy. For starters you can call All Foreign by the 62nd St Bridge for your part and go from there.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That should really have a new fender. If you want to save BIG money, you could do a search for your car in that blue that has rear end damage and hopefully find the fender. That would save you a ton. Try and get someone to find a used part to replace your smashed one. It can be done on the Internet. Have your vin handy.
You also want the paint code if you're going to try to match. This is usually inside the door frame on an info sticker. It's a heckuva trick trying to match though. If you are willing to put in the time and wait out trying to find one it will save some money, but it will take some time. I did this with my older car and a hood. Eventually I turned up a perfectly usable one in the right color code, required no fixing at all. It was complicated by the fact that the hood on the 2-door and 4-door versions of this car was the same, but the silver color was different, so I had to find the right match for that too, with rear damage and not front. Tricky, but it can be done.

Even if you don't match color though getting a used right (looks like) fender from something damaged in rear or on left side should be possible. Then it can be repainted to match. Should be cheaper than getting a new part and better made than aftermarket part.

If you find a color match, or just take non-matching part to get painted, you can potentially consider putting on the part yourself. Not sure how difficult that is. If I understand it all properly the outer fender piece should bolt on separately so you are not taking off things in the engine bay and such just to replace the fender.

I think you're better off starting searches on your own than with a yard, but maybe not. This is the site I used to search. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market The inventory changes all the time. Searches all over the country. Always best if you can see it though, that's the thing. When you go through a local yard and they source a part, it's not clear what happens if the condition doesn't mesh well with what's in the computer. Doesn't matter for mechanical parts. I can tell you first hand that what is in the used part finding systems won't match the actual condition of body parts; you have to see them. Plus shipping of large body parts eats into the cost.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
You can try Extra Mile Automotive, S. 18th St. and Josephine on the South Side.

Its along side the upper tracks, and they aren't very expensive.

I've gone there with an old car that wasn't insured and it turned out fine.
thank you Spam, I like your ID.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You could try Ron Scott Auto Body in East Oakmont. That should really have a new fender. If you want to save BIG money, you could do a search for your car in that blue that has rear end damage and hopefully find the fender. That would save you a ton. Try and get someone to find a used part to replace your smashed one. It can be done on the Internet. Have your vin handy. For starters you can call All Foreign by the 62nd St Bridge for your part and go from there.
Is it easy to do? I guess it is hard for me but I can try, thanks.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luabear View Post
We have used Armstrong Auto Body on Penn in Garfield and were happy.
I am going to try to get estimate, thanks.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Unless you've got metal pushing into some space where you need the clearance, I'd just put some touch-up paint on the bare spots and go on. An extremely casual attitude about the appearance of cars is one of the nice things about this area.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Unless you've got metal pushing into some space where you need the clearance, I'd just put some touch-up paint on the bare spots and go on. An extremely casual attitude about the appearance of cars is one of the nice things about this area.
So you drive it all messed up for years as it rusts due to the finish being destroyed, then when you sell it you want to fix it up a bit to get more money, so THEN you replace the fender. Yeah, that makes sense.

Just try and find a fender with your paint. Believe me, the savings could be a grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh