Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Just to be expected at this point:

America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com

Joking aside, they tease out three commonalities that all include Pittsburgh--college-oriented towns, former Rust Belt towns, and low population growth. I think it is interesting to ponder how all those things contribute to the factors underlying this particular ranking methodology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
You do like these lists, Brian. Somehow I don't put much cred in them. Here's one from Forbes on the msn homepage today. They call Dillon, Mont. a "southwestern" enclave. Bad editing. Montana has a border with Canada, not Mexico. Someone could at least look at a map.

List: America's Prettiest Towns - Forbes.com

Old 05-01-2010, 10:41 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You do like these lists, Brian. Somehow I don't put much cred in them. Here's one from Forbes on the msn homepage today. They call Dillon, Mont. a "southwestern" enclave. Bad editing. Montana has a border with Canada, not Mexico. Someone could at least look at a map.

List: America's Prettiest Towns - Forbes.com
They said it was a Southwest Montana town. Big difference. But I see your point about the credibility of lists.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
They said it was a Southwest Montana town. Big difference. But I see your point about the credibility of lists.
Here is the quote from the article:

Among his picks is the southwest enclave of Dillon, Mont.

I interpreted that as meaning they thought Montana was the southwest. Many easterners seem to think the entire mountain west is the "southwest". A little editing would have been helpful.

ETA: The slideshow does say SW Montana. I reiterate, editing would be helpful.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:30 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
It also calls us a "test site for Google's new high-speed broadband network". Unless I missed something, shouldn't that say "prospective test site"?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You do like these lists, Brian. Somehow I don't put much cred in them.
As I have noted before, I don't care much about the overall rankings in these lists. They can be interesting for individual bits of data or commentary, and I also think it is interesting to track what sort of press Pittsburgh is getting.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:37 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
All these lists are bs IMHO. This area is not every one's cup of tea. I'd never live in Florida, but guess what, a lot of people retire there. I know people that live near mills that would never think about moving, regardless the smell and pollution.

If you like where you live, does it really matter about the ranking?

Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If you like where you live, does it really matter about the ranking?
Nope. On the other hand, if you are looking at relocating, or starting up a business where some employees might be relocating, or so on, this stuff could have some relevance.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Nope. On the other hand, if you are looking at relocating, or starting up a business where some employees might be relocating, or so on, this stuff could have some relevance.
As Copa said, most of these lists are pure BS. They are not the way to make a decision to relocate or start a business. They are for entertainment purposes only.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
About a hundred years ago a good frat buddy of mine was doing grad work in Ames, Iowa, Iowa State to be exact. So being young and dumb, I drove out their with another frat buddy to spend a long weekend. Ever been to Iowa? God, it was so flat and nothing to see we used to close our eyes when we saw road signs showing how far Ames was.

Well, my buddy hooks up with a woman 2 hours after we get there, I don't see him until we leave Monday morning. Till this day, he says Ames, Iowa, is one of the greatest places in the country.

It's all about perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: