Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Really? I think NE PA may think differently.

Looking at your map, most of the green and red dots in the Pittsburgh region are to the south and west of town.

Sure there is a lot of gas up in the northeastern part of the state, too. But the folks working those wells aren't going to be living in Pittsburgh regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:09 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I don't see it being an issue. There is fracking going on all over the country, and it certainly hasn't hurt Texas' population growth.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
The map found at this link is more up to date: Pennsylvania fracking map | NPR StateImpact

Washington, Westmoreland, Butler, and Fayette counties in western PA are among the top in the state for most wells, but they don't have as many as Bradford or Tioga counties yet. Allegheny county currently has 32 wells in operation by 3 different operators. The city of Pittsburgh currently has a fracking ban, but many are pushing for it to be lifted. Also, it is very feasible for natural gas workers to live in the city of Pittsburgh or Allegheny county. This is especially true because they are not all drilling technicians and there are many white collar jobs in this industry. A quick Google search reveals that many of the natural gas drilling and exploration company offices are within the Pittsburgh metro. Here are a few examples:

1) Cabot Oil and Gas is in Robinson Township and they also have another office in Cranberry
2) Penn Resources is near the airport in Moon

Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I don't see it being an issue. There is fracking going on all over the country, and it certainly hasn't hurt Texas' population growth.
I am wondering if there is or will be a difference when you look at fracking in "red states" like North Dakota and Texas vs. "blue states" like PA.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I was really scratching my head yesterday with the opening of the Chile consulate. Governor Marcellus, er, Corbett was going on about Chile possibly buying gas from PA. But they opened the consulate in...Philly. Thought that was odd, almost like the Chileans didn't have a good grasp of PA geography , but perhaps they have other non-gas reasons for it to be in Philly.

There are many other operators with their main Marcellus-area offices around here, including Shell (Warrendale area) and Range (Canonsburg area). I don't know about Chesapeake, even though they are the largest well operator. I think Chesapeake is heavily into that NE area, not sure. Chevron was just optioning land in I think it's Moon there or maybe Robinson, and I think they have an existing office somewhere out there.

More of the PA wells are in the NE so far, but it seems the Pittsburgh area provides a central base for their operations in the Appalachian region. Plenty of stuff is going on in WV and OH as well.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
My understanding is Marcellus employment has already peaked to some degree in NEPA, with the focus having shifted to this region. Given drilling up there only began a few years back, I think the employment trajectory here will be more short lived than either the proponents or detractors say. By 2020 gas employment might be almost as low as before the boom.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My understanding is Marcellus employment has already peaked to some degree in NEPA, with the focus having shifted to this region. Given drilling up there only began a few years back, I think the employment trajectory here will be more short lived than either the proponents or detractors say. By 2020 gas employment might be almost as low as before the boom.
That sounds about right to me. The boom is in the drilling part and in any pipeline construction, which is temporary. There certainly is maintenance but it won't amount to anything like the employment level at the peak of drilling.

Although there would likely be a notable gain with the ethane cracker, assuming they build that thing. Not in the employment of the cracker plant itself but in the businesses that would use its resulting products.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:21 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Pittsburgh is becoming a regional center for corporate operations for the energy companies. Chevron has an option for quite a large tract of land in Moon for a corporate campus, but I don't know what their employment projections might be. As far as drilling within the city limits, I think that was always a non-starter, since you need many acres to build a drilling operation and that isn't available in the city or inner suburbs. I guess the city council just felt better and got the anti-fracking folks off their backs by passing an ordinance.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Pittsburgh is becoming a regional center for corporate operations for the energy companies. Chevron has an option for quite a large tract of land in Moon for a corporate campus, but I don't know what their employment projections might be. As far as drilling within the city limits, I think that was always a non-starter, since you need many acres to build a drilling operation and that isn't available in the city or inner suburbs. I guess the city council just felt better and got the anti-fracking folks off their backs by passing an ordinance.
Drilling within the city of Pittsburgh limits is entirely possible if it is allowed and Los Angeles currently has wells within city limits. There are even companies that focus on urban, more compact drilling.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Drilling within the city of Pittsburgh limits is entirely possible if it is allowed and Los Angeles currently has wells within city limits. There are even companies that focus on urban, more compact drilling.
Not really comparable; youre referring to oil wells in LA (or to a lesser extent shallow gas wells); they take up much less of a footprint & are really not even noticeable which is not the case with fracking operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh