Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM

43 posts, read 46,748 times

Advertisements

I came across this article from the Tribune Live regarding the condition of the Parkway East (I-376.) A major improvement project to the Parkway East is probably not very likely, but I think it is still needed. I do not live in Pittsburgh at the moment, but I took part in the survey in-case I ever do find myself living in the city. I think it would be great if they widened the road, but they would have to tear down a lot of the businesses that exist near the highway. I know that development of this "project" is in its very early stages. Do you think an improvement project on the Parkway East is a much needed endeavor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 PM

Sorry, I forgot the link to the article.

Goal of Parkway East survey: Ease congestion | TribLIVE

Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtw0592 View Post
Sorry, I forgot the link to the article.

Goal of Parkway East survey: Ease congestion | TribLIVE
From the article:

Mary Lou Wolff, 57, of Murrysville drives the highway on weekdays to her job Downtown. She said anything that would alleviate the traffic would be helpful.

“It's kind of mindless when you do it every day. I try to leave home early so I miss a lot of the mess,” Wolff said. “If they could widen the road, that would be great. And if they could do something with the merge lane (outbound), where people are coming from Oakland, that would help.”

When Wolff leaves by 6:05 a.m., she can get to work in 35 minutes. If she leaves 10 minutes later, it can cost her an extra 20 minutes in traffic. When she leaves work at 4 or 4:30 p.m., it takes her about 50 minutes. Leaving at 5 p.m. means a commute of more than a hour.

“It's kind of crazy. The parkway is horrible during rush hour,” she said.

^ You could also NOT live in Murrysville. Problem solved.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:57 PM

I live in Sarver and I have to take 28 if I wish to do anything in Pittsburgh. I thought this article was interesting because every year there is an increase in deadly accidents on the Parkway. We were driving back from down south on the day after New Years and an accident blocked the road. Both Parkways were gridlocked from 79 to Squirrel Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
From the article:

Mary Lou Wolff, 57, of Murrysville drives the highway on weekdays to her job Downtown. She said anything that would alleviate the traffic would be helpful.

“It's kind of mindless when you do it every day. I try to leave home early so I miss a lot of the mess,” Wolff said. “If they could widen the road, that would be great. And if they could do something with the merge lane (outbound), where people are coming from Oakland, that would help.”

When Wolff leaves by 6:05 a.m., she can get to work in 35 minutes. If she leaves 10 minutes later, it can cost her an extra 20 minutes in traffic. When she leaves work at 4 or 4:30 p.m., it takes her about 50 minutes. Leaving at 5 p.m. means a commute of more than a hour.

“It's kind of crazy. The parkway is horrible during rush hour,” she said.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,905,805 times
Quote:
Yes. She could move to Polish Hill. GEEHC intensified.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Where is McKeesport? Is it near Monroeville?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
Quote:
Where is McKeesport? Is it near Monroeville?
It's south of Monroeville. It's across the river from Duquesne. You could conceivably commute from McKeesport to Downtown Pittsburgh without taking the Parkway East at all.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 PM

I am not sure whether to believe if the Mon Fayette Expressway is going to decrease or increase traffic on the Parkway. I heard people are advocating for PennDot and PTC to eliminate the section into Downtown Pittsburgh.
Leading Mon-Fayette Expressway supporter changes lanes - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
It's south of Monroeville. It's across the river from Duquesne. You could conceivably commute from McKeesport to Downtown Pittsburgh without taking the Parkway East at all.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:11 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,971,769 times
The Mon-Fayette expressway is dead and will never be built beyond what's already there.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:31 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,606,456 times
Quote:
I thought this article was interesting because every year there is an increase in deadly accidents on the Parkway.
Is that really true? I can't find any good statistics for accidents on a given stretch of road, but I don't know where to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh