Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 PM

395 posts, read 488,556 times

Advertisements

My budget would be around $100 to buy the tires and have them put on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
You're not giving enough information. What type of car you have, what size tires, etc. It makes a difference. $100 isn't enough money to buy four tires and have them put on.

When I need tires and I'm shopping around for a deal, I call tire places and get quotes over the phone. Quickly looking at the Sears website, the cheapest car tires they have are $29/each and it's over $204 to have them installed, etc., before taxes.

I see there is a retreaded tire company called Champion. I don't know your tire size but they have some that are $19.99. They charge more than Sears to put them on so that will be still be $200 and they're used tires while Sears tires are new.

Looks to me like you need another $100. Nobody here can get more specific unless you tell us what type of tires your vehicle requires.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-05-2014 at 12:10 AM..

Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
personally id never buy used tires. just one of those things i just cant cut corners on.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
personally id never buy used tires. just one of those things i just cant cut corners on.
Used isn't not even cost effective with the install. It's basically the same money as new at Sears. I'm giving her all of the options because she's in a bind. The used tires would be near $100 if she could find someone else to put them on the rims. Poor people have to cut corners. It's just a fact of life. No tires could mean not being able to get to work, which could mean not being able to put food on the table.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Used isn't not even cost effective with the install. It's basically the same money as new at Sears. I'm giving her all of the options because she's in a bind. The used tires would be near $100 if she could find someone else to put them on the rims. Poor people have to cut corners. It's just a fact of life. No tires could mean not being able to get to work, which could mean not being able to put food on the table.

rims/wheels i can understand buying used, which is what i wanted to do since mine new from Toyota cost $600 PER rim/wheel.

i ended up buying new online for half the price, minus install. i think she could try to visit tirerack.com and go from there. have it ship to the shop or her place and have them install it.

maybe that's true hopes, but if those tires are worn out quickly, shell still have to dish out more or if they get damaged or were defective and are a ticking time bomb (believe me, a lot of tires even on shelves shouldn't be sold but they are and yes..tires have an expiration date)

Old 03-05-2014, 01:22 AM

395 posts, read 488,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're not giving enough information. What type of car you have, what size tires, etc. It makes a difference. $100 isn't enough money to buy four tires and have them put on.

When I need tires and I'm shopping around for a deal, I call tire places and get quotes over the phone. Quickly looking at the Sears website, the cheapest car tires they have are $29/each and it's over $204 to have them installed, etc., before taxes.

I see there is a retreaded tire company called Champion. I don't know your tire size but they have some that are $19.99. They charge more than Sears to put them on so that will be still be $200 and they're used tires while Sears tires are new.

Looks to me like you need another $100. Nobody here can get more specific unless you tell us what type of tires your vehicle requires.
I have a 1997 Chevy Venture. I need 215 70 15s.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 AM

110 posts, read 609,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
rims/wheels i can understand buying used, which is what i wanted to do since mine new from Toyota cost $600 PER rim/wheel.

i ended up buying new online for half the price, minus install. i think she could try to visit tirerack.com and go from there. have it ship to the shop or her place and have them install it.

maybe that's true hopes, but if those tires are worn out quickly, shell still have to dish out more or if they get damaged or were defective and are a ticking time bomb (believe me, a lot of tires even on shelves shouldn't be sold but they are and yes..tires have an expiration date)

Even with ordering through tirerack.com, $100 is not enough. Most places charge $15-$20 to mount and balance each tire after they are delivered from tirerack.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh