Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh among world's best long-term real estate investments - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cities were ranked based on climate; environment; resources; infrastructure; community; governance; planning systems; institutions; and technical, learning and funding structures.

One might make a point that American cities never place well in various lists and therefore so this is like being salutatorian (Chicago was tops for US cities) among a class of poor performers.

I don't espouse that view, but just looking at things from different perspectives. This notoriety might result in turning that spigot and having that trickle of outside investment become a greater flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:43 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
resources; planning systems; institutions; and technical, learning

climate; environment; infrastructure; community; governance; and funding structures

Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM

33 posts, read 39,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Pittsburgh among world's best long-term real estate investments - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cities were ranked based on climate; environment; resources; infrastructure; community; governance; planning systems; institutions; and technical, learning and funding structures.
These are many of the reasons we're moving to Pittsburgh.

When I tell people here in San Francisco that we're moving to Pittsburgh, many of them look at me like I'm crazy. These same people will go on and on about how great Portland is though. Honestly, I see a lot of similarities between the two places, but for me, due to the history, topography, true neighborhoods, and cost of living.... Pittsburgh wins every time.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Church View Post
These are many of the reasons we're moving to Pittsburgh.

When I tell people here in San Francisco that we're moving to Pittsburgh, many of them look at me like I'm crazy. These same people will go on and on about how great Portland is though. Honestly, I see a lot of similarities between the two places, but for me, due to the history, topography, true neighborhoods, and cost of living.... Pittsburgh wins every time.
OMG, I had the same experience! One of my best friends in the Bay Area is retiring to Portland next year. Way more affordable than the Bay Area, yet much more expensive than Pittsburgh. He grew up in Nebraska and has no desire to live anywhere with real winters, hence Portland. Most of my friends thought I was nuts to move here…my daughter still does. But my friends and I are middle aged and looking at retirement in the next 10-20 years. Many are planning to cash out of the Bay Area and settle elsewhere. Because of the financial disaster I experienced after my divorce, I had to make those decisions a lot sooner. My friends who have visited me here totally understand now. Even the ones who haven't visited get it since I've been sending photos and tales of housing prices. My old neighbor told me that the place I was renting until June 2013 is now renting for $3600 a month. I was paying $2300. Nuts.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 PM

33 posts, read 39,059 times
Pittsburgh has A LOT to offer, but I guess it's been hard for it to shake it's blue-collar, steel city image. Not that it's not a working class city anymore, but it has a lot more to offer than what everyone thinks.

I think the biggest problem is that people are super quick to judge things they know nothing about.

In my limited experience, people that have been to both Portland and Pittsburgh are not nearly so quick to rate Portland as high.

I do wish Pittsburgh had a Powells though.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:01 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We moved here almost 2 years ago. Again, when we were moving from NY, people said ; where, why and are we crazy. Most of our friends have visited us here and loved it. Cant convince anyone to move here yet as they don't want the snow.

But we love it. It has the scenery, ease of commute (for me anyhow), people are very good, schools are great, and its very affordable. Believe it or not, it is very european ; old buildings, bridges and rivers. Our friends from Cleveland come down any chance they get.

As for finances ; we are almost back to where we were earning in NY ; thats a great thing.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 AM

632 posts, read 853,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
(Chicago was tops for US cities)
That alone makes me dismissive of the value of this report.
Chicago is teetering on the knife's edge of bankruptcy. And it's crime rate
is exploding out of control so quickly the authorities there appear to be
engaging in statistical cover-ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: