Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:54 PM

13 posts, read 83,008 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I moved from Chicago, IL to Pittsburgh, PA in June-2012.
I am from India and have H1B Visa.

My Company has initiated H1B VISA location Transfer and its in progress.

I have Chicago driving license,
I went to DMV Office, Pittsburgh to get the new driving license.

I do have many address proof of Pittsburgh, like recent electric bill, mobile bill, Apartment Lease Agreement, bank statement, work location change letter from employer.

They initiated my application and told me that additinal security verification is required from from DHS (Department of Home Land Security).

They told that I also will be getting a letter within 2 weeks with the update.

But now it is more than 2 weeks, I have not received any letter.
I checked with DMV Call center and they also told that they have not heard anything from DHS.

Any idea, why my application was put on hold for additional verification.

I have my friend, who also moved from other state and his H1B visa transfer application is in progress. but he got the driving license.

Without Driving license, My Car can not be registered in Pittsburgh also, and its title will be getting expired on 30/Aug/2012.

Please suggest.
Thanks in advance
Vipin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 PM

70 posts, read 175,076 times
I would like to hear on this as well since I am in a same situation in terms of moving. I was planning to go to the DMV this week to get my PA license. I'll let you know the outcome.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:09 AM

OK, Thanks for the update, I will wait for your experience

Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 AM

Today I also went to DMV Office, they are saying that no decision has been taken so far, and I will need to for 1 month. :-(

Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,519 times
Is this a federal or state issue? My spouse is a permanent resident "alien" and had no trouble getting an IL to PA license a few years ago.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Is this a federal or state issue? My spouse is a permanent resident "alien" and had no trouble getting an IL to PA license a few years ago.
She's probably not part of the "profile" targetted by Homeland Security. Bush's legacy.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
H1Bs are not resident aliens. It is a work visa that has a time limit. They're also generally assigned to a specific area. I can see why moving to another state would raise a red flag. Though it still shouldn't take weeks or months to clear up, but this is the Federal government after all.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 AM

Right... any idea.. on what basis "profile" are targetted by Homeland Security?
Looks this is not random.
Many of my friends moved from IL to PA same time along with me, and they got PA driving license without any issue.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipsinghal View Post
Many of my friends moved from IL to PA same time along with me, and they got PA driving license without any issue.
I'm still not sure the reasons for surprise here. Were you friends here on a work visa? While I'm no fan of DHS, I do understand this type of behavior. You are a guest in this country and only allowed to be here under certain defined terms. When you move and attempt to establish residence in another state that will raise a red flag. Many people who come are here illegally start off as being legal at one point, then they just fall through the cracks and disappear. It took my wife almost three years to go from a green card to finally getting citizenship. A few weeks delay is tiny by government standards.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
If they are also here on a work visa, do you share the same cultural, religious, racial, country of origin demographic as them? If not, the answer could be in how you are different from them. If so, it could be something as simple as you sharing the same name as someone already on a watch list. I'm only speculating. I doubt anyone outside of Homeland Security would truly know the answers to this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
When you move and attempt to establish residence in another state that will raise a red flag.
I don't understand why it would raise a red flag when he isn't changing employers but the employer is transferring him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: