Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:57 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times

Advertisements

Found the following report and was shocked to see Pittsburgh rated so low by the people that were polled that actually live there. This ranking seems to contradict all the good things I have read about the region over the last few years. I thought people in general were pretty happy living in the Pittsburgh metro area?

The Burghard Group | Strengthening Brand America

http://strengtheningbrandamerica.com...eport-2013.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 11:35 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
I find such a list including Buffalo near the top, and to a lesser extent Rochester and Hartford, odd. Perhaps the standards of the American Dream are lower in these places?

Old 06-22-2014, 03:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
I find such a list including Buffalo near the top, and to a lesser extent Rochester and Hartford, odd. Perhaps the standards of the American Dream are lower in these places?
Were we reading the same list? My list puts Buffalo at 34 out of 52. Rochester is confusing to me as well. Where do you see Hartford?

Old 06-22-2014, 03:21 PM

567 posts, read 1,162,057 times
This rating looks pretty much like BS, nothing you should take seriously

Old 06-22-2014, 04:13 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Two observations:

1. This list doesn't make a lot of sense. Some of those top cities are hell holes.
2. This forum doesn't realize that not everyone is as gung-ho about this city as they are. There are still many problems for many people here.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Found the following report and was shocked to see Pittsburgh rated so low by the people that were polled that actually live there. This ranking seems to contradict all the good things I have read about the region over the last few years. I thought people in general were pretty happy living in the Pittsburgh metro area?

The Burghard Group | Strengthening Brand America

http://strengtheningbrandamerica.com...eport-2013.pdf
When I was in Pittsburgh earlier this month, most of the random people I struck up conversations with seemed to be enjoying themselves, and didn't have anything really negative to say. One person did complain about the gas tax increase, and my brother's fiancee wants to get away from Forest Hills, but that's pretty much it.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Apparently the list was compiled based upon a series of questions asked to those being polled in each metro area. So, things like economic conditions or crime may not even be weighted into the study at least in terms of the actual statistics that bear out whether or not a particular area is good, mediocre or bad. It is based upon people giving either favorable or unfavorable opinions for each topic and question posed. That is why I was really confused as to why Pittsburgh is at the bottom of the heap. It looks like a lot of the people that were polled in your area gave it a bad grade.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Were we reading the same list? My list puts Buffalo at 34 out of 52. Rochester is confusing to me as well. Where do you see Hartford?
Hartford is rated number 1. It certainly does not rank well if you look at the tax structure, corporate taxes or percentage of people living below the poverty line within the city limits. But after looking at what kinds of questions were asked, I can see why now it scored so high. People that live there really like the quality of life taxes be damned among other things. It is far from a hell hole though the city itself has some rough areas. But overall the area does have a very high standard of living with some of the best private and public schools in the country.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Hartford is rated number 1. It certainly does not rank well if you look at the tax structure, corporate taxes or percentage of people living below the poverty line within the city limits. But after looking at what kinds of questions were asked, I can see why now it scored so high. People that live there really like the quality of life taxes be damned among other things. It is far from a hell hole though the city itself has some rough areas. But overall the area does have a very high standard of living with some of the best private and public schools in the country.
Well, I'll be darned. Thanks. My eyes just skipped over it as I read down the list!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Pittsburgh as city has a bit of an inferiority complex, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh